PDA

View Full Version : Do tubes matter?

roguedog
05-04-2010, 11:15 PM
I see lots of discussions around tires n wheels and occasionally I see some comment like "I love my Conti 4000s w/ the Michelin butyl tubes" or some such.

This morning I pumped my tires, loaded up the bike, and when I went to pull it out this evening for a ride the front tire was flat. Some folks had a spare pump and we tried to pump it up. No go. Finally, went to change the the flat and turns out the tube had alike a 2in gash in it. No wonder it wouldn't inflate.

Thing is, I had just gotten a flat 2 rides ago and it's a new tube but it might have been sitting around in my pack for a year or so.

Anyway, this is what got me thinking.. do tubes matter? One of the sales guys at the LBS said it didn't matter cuz there are really only 2 factories that produce 'em anyway.

I dunno, so i'm checking in with you folks.

Do tubes matter?
Do you have a favorite go to tube or one that you definitely avoid?
Are there different quality grades for tubes?

Tks for your thoughts.

Blue Jays
05-04-2010, 11:32 PM
I notice more defective tubes straight out of the factory these days compared to 15-20 years ago.

130R
05-05-2010, 12:51 AM
it's been my experience that specialized tubes hold up the best.

i've used continental tubes, performance bike tubes, avenir tubes..

specialized tubes always hold up for some reason. *knock on wood*

palincss
05-05-2010, 06:59 AM
This morning I pumped my tires, loaded up the bike, and when I went to pull it out this evening for a ride the front tire was flat. Some folks had a spare pump and we tried to pump it up. No go. Finally, went to change the the flat and turns out the tube had alike a 2in gash in it. No wonder it wouldn't inflate.

If you had a 2 inch cut in the tube and the tire wasn't ruined, then the tire came off the rim and the tube blew out. Most of the time that's caused by getting the tube caught under the edge of the bead during installation; over time the pressure under the bead lifts it and eventually it jumps off the rim, at which point the tube explodes.

You can't cure that by getting a different brand of tube.

wasfast
05-05-2010, 06:59 AM
There's two different sorts of "matter" durability and rolling resistance.

One is the basic quality of similar butyl tubes. I buy tubes in batches of 5-10 usually. I've had decent results (durability) with the basic no brands from biketiresdirect and Performance.

The ultralight butyl tube save some weight but are much more puncture "capable" and don't have hardly any benefit in rolling resistance.

Latex tubes have lower rolling resistance, are more puncture resistant than the ultralight tubes, but cost considerably more, can be fussy to install and the quick loss of air due to permability of the material is an issue for some. I use them for race wheels only.

Tim
05-05-2010, 07:12 AM
I've been using Michelin Latex tubes (the green ones) for several years. True, they're more expensive and need to be pumped up for every ride- but they roll smoother and are very flat resistant- both qualities that make the cost worth it.

jblande
05-05-2010, 07:17 AM
if they can be had, i find the schwalbe butyl tubes more reliable than others. just fewer flats, easier to install.

i like the latex tubes too, but the deflation gets on my nerves, as i sometimes forget. if you have carbon clinchers, they also should not be used with them.

lightweight tubes save you very little and are less reliable.

conti4000 with schwalbe tubes. very smooth, amazingly reliable.

cmg
05-05-2010, 08:20 AM
i like the vittoria evo 55 gram tubes. had better luck with them, less problems on the installation. Talc all inner tubes, lets them slide around on the inside of the tire and keeps them from sticking to the tire.

Steve in SLO
05-05-2010, 09:47 AM
it's been my experience that specialized tubes hold up the best.

i've used continental tubes, performance bike tubes, avenir tubes..

specialized tubes always hold up for some reason. *knock on wood*

I have used a lot of Specialized tubes and have generally found them to be good, but I got a batch of them once where 2 blew out along seams without a concurrent tire puncture. I looked at one still in the box and saw the seam was cracked in some areas. Obviously I got a bad batch or they'd been sitting around for a long time in the LBS, but I now inspect new tubes before I mount them.

staggerwing
05-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Bought a 5 pack of "generics" from Price Point one time, and I think every one of them failed within the year. At least two had issues around where the presta valve was bonded to the tube.

In general, Conti's have been good, but my favorites are the plain butyl Michelin A2 Airstop tubes. The smooth sided valve works well with my hand pumps too.

jednjen42
05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I like Torelli tubes. I haven't had one split at the seams or have the valve stem break on me. I used to use Michelin tubes and the little nut or ball that opens and closes the valve would eventually break off.

That said, I think Kenda and Cheng Shin manufacture most of the tubes for companies. I would assume it's like chains, KMC manufactures most bicycle chains but to specified specs.

130R
05-05-2010, 01:09 PM
i like the vittoria evo 55 gram tubes. had better luck with them, less problems on the installation. Talc all inner tubes, lets them slide around on the inside of the tire and keeps them from sticking to the tire.

my girlfriend read somewhere that talc might cause cancer... so i just massage the tubes with corn starch from the kitchen now.

better safe then sorry right? :cool:

Bud_E
05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I generally use Michelin tubes and they seem okay to me. I doubt I could tell the difference between butyl/latex. I tried latex years ago and I blew 3 in a row just pumping them up !

I ran across this website : http://biketubes.net/ . I haven't tried them yet but I go through tubes fast enough that I'm willing to give them a go ( and they're located in downtown L.A. ! ). Anyone have experience with them ?

false_Aest
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Uhm.

Latex tubes feel great.

Like a little extra lube when you need it most. ;)

Blue Jays
05-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Yep, definitely excellent advice to talc / cornstarch tubes, regardless of manufacturer.

Lifelover
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I use whatever tubes I can buy the cheapest and have never had a problem that I would blame on the tube.

Not sure I buy into the Latex tube myths either.

pdmtong
05-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I like the smooth valve body of the michelin A1/B1 but $$$
So I bought three 4-packs of the "cutter" tubes on bonktown (which also have smooth bodies). Usually i patch them once but recently I've been getting splits down the seam which makes patching tough. we'll see if the bonktown tubes are more resilient. the price is roght though...4 for $12

cmg
05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I use whatever tubes I can buy the cheapest and have never had a problem that I would blame on the tube.

Not sure I buy into the Latex tube myths either.

Give it (latex tubes) a try. You can tell the difference. Use a high TPI tire and talc/corn starch the hell out of them. i gave up on them because of the constant inflation before the ride and the pot holed roads i'm always on.

palincss
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Give it (latex tubes) a try. You can tell the difference. Use a high TPI tire and talc/corn starch the hell out of them. i gave up on them because of the constant inflation before the ride and the pot holed roads i'm always on.

I don't understand. I thought according to legend, latex tubes would be better riding on potholed roads. Are you saying you gave up because they needed, but you failed to provide, inflation before the ride?