PDA

View Full Version : True Temper older Lemond

Reidracer
05-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi all,

I've got a Lemond frameset that looks just like the True Temper Huffy in design, angles, lugs, etc...The components, spacing, and decals on the bike put it as somewhere between 1986 and 1989. The version of Superbe Pro on it was from 1987 as well. Serial number is 90053 on the Cinelli Italian bb shell. Also has 55 for the size. Though worn, there is a matching pair of True Temper Eagles on the top tube as well as clear coated into the fork blade just like a Huffy. The dropouts front and rear are Columbus. I've researched most forum sites to determine if it's a Della Santa or Billato Bros., but there are no signs of either maker in use. I had thought that Serotta was the only builder using True Temper of the type on this frame in 1987. Does anyone here recall a special build or 2 for Greg? It's a very light frame and fork...has a 27.2 seat tube. Any guesses?

WickedWheels
05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I'd love to see some better pics

Reidracer
05-05-2010, 01:46 AM
It is apart at the moment awaiting it's restoration. I'm not exactly sure what that will entail until I can divine it's exact origin.

WickedWheels
05-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Are you sure that this is a LeMond? Every LeMond I've ever seen had a LeMond stamped into at least the brake bridge, though also usually into the BB shell and the drop-outs.

Reidracer
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I would say that it is mainly on the strength of the age correct decals and parts. It appears to be original paint as it's badly weathered now and separating in a couple spots. Also, it has the longer top tube per Greg's other bikes at 56.8cm for a 55cm frame. I'm not ruling out another maker, but Greg was known to have lots of people make his framesets over the years. I've heard about the Carnielli frames as well which was my initial thought, but there are no markings for that and Carnielli did not build with True Temper. This tubeset is lighter than all the Columbus tubesets except perhaps tsx/spx, but there is no rifling or ribbing anywhere inside the tubes. I am perhaps underestimating the frames weight...which would lend toward a lesser non rifled Aelle type tubeset and would fit with the Columbus dropouts, but this frameset is lighter than my friends 853 55 cm and I thought that was the modern benchmark for light weight. It is spaced as original at 126mm in the rear. I am a bit mystified at the combo of traits, decals, tubing, etc...It really seems very much like a one off test to see if Greg liked the version from whomever made it. I see pieces all over it that I've seen on various years of Serottas. I do realize that none of these parts except perhaps the tubeset were proprietary to Serotta at the time. I know Trek also built with lots of True Temper as well. I used to race one of those and it was a fine frameset, but it also had the specific Trek lugs as have all the others I've seen like it. The choices I discovered online were: Roland Della Santa, The Billato Bros., Carnielli, Serotta (owing to Greg's previous association with Serotta's SouthEast region rep), Scapin, and Basso. All of the Italian makers listed built Lemonds only in known versions of Columbus tubing and most had identifiers in either sticker or metal stamp form. At any rate, it is a very nicely made frame and is going to be restored. Still puzzled about which decals it should really have other than potentially remade versions of the ones on it now.

Reidracer
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Does anyone among Serotta Forum elite posters know the weight roughly that a True Temper tubeset is supposed to be? I'm thinking that this was built by Serotta at the same time roughly that the 7-11 frames, but more specifically the Team Crest bikes were made. This one has almost every detail exactly like a Crest bike without the number hanger brazeon as was typical on the Crest bikes as well. Serial number is 90053...55cm. Still no info that I can use for it's proper restoration. I bow down before you Mr. Kirk...any memories of a Lemond True Temper? Cheers to everyone reading the posts so far and scratching your heads.