PDA

View Full Version : New Patina or Old Patina

john.puglia
05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Looking for Advice....I have an '86 serotta Murray serial number 6624. I raced it and trained on it extensively in the 80's. I was thinking of getting serotta to repaint it as it has chips and the decals are compromised. But does it have more value as is or repainted? The pix of the bike are attached. Feedback would be appreciated.

Lifelover
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm not an expert but I don't know that anyone here is.

I don't think being a "Murray" Serotta increases the value all that much. The Murray portion is just paint and stickers.

If your name was Andy Hampsten, it would clearly be much more valuable as is. Consdiering that you are just John Puglia, I don't think that is the case.

However, you certianly will not recover the cost of a full blown Serotta paint job were you to sell it.

Bottom line, if you are going to sell it, than sell it as is.

If you are going to keep it, don't worry about value and do what ever makes you happy.

Pete Serotta
05-04-2010, 03:24 PM
as Lifeover said..... :)

No extra value, except maybe to you. If you send it to Serotta, Spectrum(Tom Kellogg) or Keith Anderson it will come back good as new.

The reason I mention the others is that the decals and no longer available and either painter will need to make them up. That is why it will be very important to send photos of all decals areas ahead of time and keep a set to discuss with the painter you select.

Pete