PDA

View Full Version : Alert: Campy Alloy shifters

veloduffer
05-04-2010, 12:25 PM
A heads up to fellow forumites...I know a few of you have been looking for alloy shifters:

In my search for 10-spd Campy alloy shifters, I found that Rene Herse Bicycles (Mike Kone) has NOS Daytona alloy shifters (not "Escape" version) with cables/housing for $269.

Daytona shifters (http://www.renehersestore.com/servlet/the-349/Campagnolo-Daytona-Ergo-10sp/Detail)

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with RH or Mike Kone. I do admit to being an equipment junkies that stockpiles components that I like. :beer:

dana_e
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a pair of Centaur Non-QS non Escape, new, no cables for 175, PM me.

sean
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm not affiliated with Mike either, but have purchased a ton of stuff from him and can vouch for his promptness and excellent communication.

Marcusaurelius
05-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Yikes. I guess it's inflation but I remember when I paid $225 for brand new set of 10 speed chorus alloy shifters with cables and downtube cable stops.

StellaBlue
05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Yikes. I guess it's inflation but I remember when I paid $225 for brand new set of 10 speed chorus alloy shifters with cables and downtube cable stops.

Those aren't going anywhere at that price.

Marcusaurelius
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Those aren't going anywhere at that price.

The optimum word here is "were" as in when they were current of course now alloy chorus shifters sell for a lot more than I paid for them new.

Blue Jays
05-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I seriously dislike the cheesy "carbon" sticker on my Campagnolo Record controls.
The cool combo would be a carbon fiber brake lever with black anodized shifter.

StellaBlue
05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
The optimum word here is "were" as in when they were current of course now alloy chorus shifters sell for a lot more than I paid for them new.

Chorus Alloy is highly desirable, Daytona is not..

PoppaWheelie
05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I have an alloy 10sp group made up of Chorus/Record (Chorus 10 alloy shifters/front dr/BB and Record where you want it...cranks, brakes, rear dr) that I'm about to put up for sale...if any of you alloy shifter junkies - and I'm one of you - wants it, PM me. Looking for $550 shipped, $775 with silver Record 10/Open Pro 32 3x wheels. Good condition all around.

Sorry for the hijack...please continue with prior discussion of how these were the last of the "real" Campy parts... :)

veloduffer
05-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Chorus Alloy is highly desirable, Daytona is not..

Why? IIRC, Daytona was the "Athena" of its day where it was positioned just behind Chorus and ahead of Centaur.

I've had Centaur and Veloce parts and they've all performed flawlessly.

StellaBlue
05-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Why? IIRC, Daytona was the "Athena" of its day where it was positioned just behind Chorus and ahead of Centaur.

It wasn't ahead of Centaur, it's name was changed to Centaur and they go for around 150 NIB. I know, I've bought multiple sets...

DHallerman
05-05-2010, 12:21 PM
It wasn't ahead of Centaur, it's name was changed to Centaur and they go for around 150 NIB. I know, I've bought multiple sets...

$150 lately?

Even a year ago, perhaps, but I don't think so now.

I haven't seen 10-speed Centaur alloy Ergo shifters for any less than $225 recently. And not many available at any price.

Dave, who has regularly looked on eBay for new alloy Campy shifters and has not currently seen alloy 9-speed or 10-speed Campy shifters on any web bike stores

StellaBlue
05-05-2010, 01:39 PM
$150 lately?

I haven't seen 10-speed Centaur alloy Ergo shifters for any less than $225 recently. And not many available at any price.

Dave, who has regularly looked on eBay for new alloy Campy shifters and has not currently seen alloy 9-speed or 10-speed Campy shifters on any web bike stores
I haven't shopped for them in the last few months but ebay always seems to have them. I'm not talking the new ones. I'm talking the ero's like those daytonas.
I have a set and would love that price. PM me if interested.

bfd
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
So what's the going rate for used Chorus 9 alloy levers? I have a set. The levers have a couple of small scratches, but otherwise look good. The hoods have tears, so new hoods are needed. If *new* Daytona 10 ergos are now selling for $270+, my used Chorus must be worth.....?

maximus
05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I am not the best judge - but I think the fact that the Daytonas are 10s could be helping drive up the price. The HERSE asking price is too much IMO, but with that said, alloy stuff only pops up every now and again - so might work for a guy looking for instant gratification.

The 9s stuff is great - but I don't know if they would fetch such a high price unless NOS.

Marcusaurelius
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Actually Daytona was not the athena of it's day, it's just a name campagnolo used till someone objected to it and they changed it to centaur.

Marcusaurelius
05-05-2010, 05:42 PM
$150 lately?

Chain Reaction has Veloce 10 speed alloy shifters for for $156 and there's not much difference between veloce and daytona. It wasn't till you got to chorus that you got ball bearings.

I had a daytona group but I quickly upgraded the shifters to chorus.