PDA

View Full Version : Aliante, what else?

Lionel
05-03-2010, 06:54 AM
I just love my Aliante(s). I fell in love in the first 24 hours I tried it, it was years ago after trying a bunch of other saddles for a few years too (Flite, SLR, Max flite, Brooks, Arione, etc..) .

I have 4 of them on different bikes.

So why this thread? Well they pretty much all creak, some more than others, some more often that others. I have not found a permanent cure for that creaking. One of them is to the point where I just have to change it.

So I was wondering if some of you switched from an Aliante to something else successfully.

don'TreadOnMe
05-03-2010, 07:01 AM
I've dripped heavy oil (Phil's Tenacious) into the front and rear attachment points in the shell for that mysterious Fizik creak. Gotta say it was an Arione though. Worked perfectly to stop the sounds. YMMV.

avalonracing
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I did the same with with my Aliante and it fixed it as well.

Lionel
05-03-2010, 09:11 AM
I have tried the heavy lube. It takes care of it for a while and not always. With one out of my 4 saddle it took care of it forever it seems. The other 3 need constant attention (monthly roughly). Hence my initial question.

bking
05-03-2010, 09:57 AM
I have several bikes, all had, a couple still have Aliante. But, after several long rides and a few years on them, i just wasn't convinced it was as good as it could get. I've gone to Prologo Scratch (both the Nac and Pro). Very happy and slowly switching over. Been on them for a year now.

r_mutt
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
i have 3 airone saddles, and 1 aliante. none of which have ever creaked. very odd! i will say, i rarely ride in the rain, but it has happened on occasion.

sailorboy
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
ipod shuffle

fixed all the creaks on all of my bikes

dekindy
05-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I am content with my Aliante. However if I were going to test saddles I would try either the Selle Anatomica or Selle SMP brands.

ckamp
05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Try Google imaging "Anatomica".. weird stuff man.

fourflys
05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I had the same issue with one of my Brooks and a lfew drops of TriFlow at the attachment points (and adjusting nut on the Brooks) and all was well!

rpm
05-03-2010, 11:41 AM
My experience is that if you like the Aliante, you might also like the Regal and the Turbomatic. Interestingly, I just sold the last of my Regals and a new Turbomatic because I've now gotten used to the Aliante.

I might also add the Prologo Scratch saddle to the list. It's narrower, but I rode one for a week on a rental bike, and it was quite comfortable.

MartyE
05-04-2010, 08:24 AM
I just switched to a Prologo Nago on my Serotta. The flat top is more
like a Brooks to me. I also have a Prologo choice which is a bit more rounded, and is more like the Aliante I have on a Jan de Reus.

Marty

Lionel
05-04-2010, 08:27 AM
The Aliante top is not flat at all. There is only one spot to ride on the Aliante. The Arione is dead flat, I hated that saddle.

I am going to take a look at the regal.

caleb
05-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Of the half dozen Fizik saddles I've owned not a single one has made noise. What seatposts are you using? How much do you weigh?

Erik.Lazdins
05-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I posted a thread on my creaky aliante here about a month ago and was told by a forum moderator and esteemed posteur* to buy a new bike - so I'm doing that presently.

I have 2 aliante saddles one is a first generation which hasn't squeaked once and has well over 30K miles the second bought in June 2006 is creaking on a monthly basis - the lube seems to stop it but the threat remains there looming in the back of your mind, "hey I can't relax, I can't hold my jaw funny, I can't sit up because the squeaking creaking haunting interruptor of rides is ready to re-appear"

I'm game to try a new saddle

Lionel
05-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Of the half dozen Fizik saddles I've owned not a single one has made noise. What seatposts are you using? How much do you weigh?
Thomson posts on 2 bikes, Colnago post on a third and PMP carbon on a 4th. Weigh 190pds. Creak is definitelly coming from the saddle.

It's a love/hate relationship for me because the shape of the Aliante is just perfect.

Lionel
05-05-2010, 02:25 AM
I have 2 aliante saddles one is a first generation which hasn't squeaked once and has well over 30K miles the second bought in June 2006 is creaking on a monthly basis - the lube seems to stop it but the threat remains there looming in the back of your mind, "hey I can't relax, I can't hold my jaw funny, I can't sit up because the squeaking creaking haunting interruptor of rides is ready to re-appear"

LOL... But I see what you mean. Worse thing is when the creak appears at the beginning of a long ride, got to deal with it for hours...