PDA

View Full Version : The New Cannibal

saab2000
03-26-2005, 12:21 PM
I know it is sacreligious to imply this, and of course nobody will de-throne Eddy, but Tom Boonen has the chance to be the best 1 day rider in a long, long time. He will surpass Museeuw.

shinomaster
03-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Unless a pile of syringes fall out of his pocket...oops! Just kidding... :rolleyes:

93legendti
03-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Better than Bettini?

BumbleBeeDave
03-26-2005, 08:20 PM
. . . That was a VERY cruel thing to say. But we get your, uh, “point.” :rolleyes:

BBDave

jerk
03-26-2005, 08:57 PM
yes he's better than bettini.....bettini still exhibits a better head for the game....but boonen has got it all. he's a little big once things start going up though, but he's the type of rider who could transform himself into whatever he wants to be.
jerk

GoJavs
03-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Can't believe USPS let him slip right out of their fingers...Could have been Boonen and Danielson for many years to come!

Dr. Doofus
03-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Danielson?

when he can manage a stage win in a seven day race...

anyway, Boonen is a beast...

csb
03-26-2005, 10:13 PM
danielboonenson

Dr. Doofus
03-26-2005, 10:17 PM
danielboonenson was a badmuthabrotha -- nobody could pimp the coonskin helmet like him...and fess parker was great in that movie about him where eddy merkcx and lee marvin had that kickassfistfight over the latkes...

93legendti
03-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Better than Oscar Freire? Geez, Boonen would be lucky to have half the quality palmares of Bettini and Freire. Boonen may prove to be the greatest one-day rider, but not yet...unless you are in love with all things Belgian and have to settle for Boonen.

jerk
03-27-2005, 09:53 PM
yes the jerk is in love with all things belgian. and freire was awesome today. but the jerk's boy nico ain't going to be pulling peter's sorry *** around those muurs three weeks in a row so the jerk predicts the man with the gayest haircut in the peloton will win flanders next week...

nico,
nico mattan,
nico,
nico mattan.

jerk
un nico mattan ultra officiele!

Roy E. Munson
03-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Boonen would be lucky to have half the quality palmares of Bettini and Freire

Bettini I can buy. But please outline me on the great palmares of Friere. Since they moved the world's to October, most racers don't even care about them anymore, so what's he done? A bunch of secondary races and some 1/2 ar$ed WC's?

LegendRider
03-28-2005, 09:49 AM
I don't think USP "let him slip out of their fingers" - they couldn't have kept a budding Belgian national hero even if they tried.

93legendti
03-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Boonen would be lucky to have half the quality palmares of Bettini and Freire

Bettini I can buy. But please outline me on the great palmares of Friere. Since they moved the world's to October, most racers don't even care about them anymore, so what's he done? A bunch of secondary races and some 1/2 ar$ed WC's?

OK:
Milan-San Remo
Three World Championships--1999, 2001, 2004
3 stages in the Vuelta
1 stage in the TDF
nummerous stages and overall in T-A
numerous stages in Ruta del Sol, Tour of Aragon, Tour of Catalonia and Tour of Valencia.

You may discount the Worlds, but the riders don't. The Worlds are MUCH bigger than Ghent-Wevelgem--the biggest race Boonen has won, unless I am missing something. What is so good about Bonnen's palamares? Yes, he won a lot of races last year, all small ones, except for 2 stages in the TDF and Ghent-Wevelgem.

Add Petacchi to the list, a great rider still going strong.

Big Dan
03-28-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure there is some age difference between Boonen and Freire.....
It would only be fair to wait a couple years ............. :D

Roy E. Munson
03-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Why does Friere's 1 Tour stage victory count but Boonen's 2 don't?

93legendti
03-28-2005, 10:10 AM
OK, no one said it didn't count. In fact, I am pretty sure I said: "What is so good about Bonnen's palamares? Yes, he won a lot of races last year, all small ones, except for 2 stages in the TDF and Ghent-Wevelgem."

They count, but winning 2 stages in the TDF does NOT make you "the next great one day rider". David Exteberria did it in 1999 and hasn't done much more since. IMHO, the key is monuments, World Championships, and other BIG one day rides, as well as stages in Grand Tours. You definition may be different and that is great.

Again, what is so great about Bonnen's palmares? He has a ton of promise and is off to a great start. I am just saying there are at least 3 other BETTER one-day riders.

Roy E. Munson
03-28-2005, 10:18 AM
I agree with you 100%. Winning tour stages isn't the mark of a great one day rider at all. I think the mark of a great one day rider is the ability to win the Classics. Tour stages are not one day races, they are stages of a multi-day race. So, Van Petegem, Museeuw, riders of that breed are what I would cite as great one day riders.

I think the post started as Boonens promise as a great one day rider, which means we all went off track.