PDA

View Full Version : New wheels on Ultegra 6700(?) STI?

hookookadoo
05-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Can I buy a new set of wheels and use them with the older Ultegra????? My existing wheels are beyond repair and am trying to pre-purchase the wheels I will be buying for a new bike and put them on my old bike to buy some time.

Jeff N.
05-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Umm,....sure! Jeff N.

hookookadoo
05-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Ok. I was thinking there may be an interchangeability(is that a word?) issue with the older 8 speed and a newer freehub/splines.

dekindy
05-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't believe new wheels that are 9/10 speed compatible will work with 8-speed or older drive trains.

I am assuming when you say your wheels are beyond repair you mean that the rims and spokes need replacing and that your hubs are okay.

Purchase new rims now and have them built on your existing hubs is the cheapest option. Then if you want hand built wheels on your new frame you buy new hubs later. However, at that point if factory wheels are okay then purchasing all new wheels will be the most cost effective route.

vqdriver
05-02-2010, 11:41 AM
fwiw, i did it the other way, using a newer wheelset with an 8 speed drivetrain.
i had to use a small spacer with the cassette but it worked ok. not sure if you'll have enough room going the other way.

dave thompson
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Can I buy a new set of wheels and use them with the older Ultegra????? My existing wheels are beyond repair and am trying to pre-purchase the wheels I will be buying for a new bike and put them on my old bike to buy some time.
Short answer: yes. The new 6700 wheels will take 8-9 and 10 speed cassettes, with the exception of the 'original Dura Ace type' 10 speed cassettes which had a different spline pattern from other Shimano patterns. Thankfully that died so 8 and 9-speed Shimano compatible cassettes are will fit on "standard" 10-speed Shimano compatible hubs. A spacer that is supplied with these wheels may have to be used.

oldpotatoe
05-03-2010, 07:43 AM
I don't believe new wheels that are 9/10 speed compatible will work with 8-speed or older drive trains.

I am assuming when you say your wheels are beyond repair you mean that the rims and spokes need replacing and that your hubs are okay.

Purchase new rims now and have them built on your existing hubs is the cheapest option. Then if you want hand built wheels on your new frame you buy new hubs later. However, at that point if factory wheels are okay then purchasing all new wheels will be the most cost effective route.

If the wheel is anything but first gen DA wheelset or hubset(7800/7810) then it will accept a 8/9/10s sram or shimano cogset. Check the freehub body material. Steel or titanium..8/9/10s. Aluminum? 10s only.

oldpotatoe
05-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Short answer: yes. The new 6700 wheels will take 8-9 and 10 speed cassettes, with the exception of the 'original Dura Ace type' 10 speed cassettes which had a different spline pattern from other Shimano patterns. Thankfully that died so 8 and 9-speed Shimano compatible cassettes are will fit on "standard" 10-speed Shimano compatible hubs. A spacer that is supplied with these wheels may have to be used.

It was the freehub body, not the cassette spline pattern. Cassette spline pattern didn't change the freehub body did. But I think that's what you meant.