PDA

View Full Version : Up Close and Personal California Coast

mikki
05-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Wanted to post a few pics about my coastal ride down California Coast from Pacific Beach to Solvang. Since I have lived for a long time now in Southern California (Northern Calif transplant), I had forgotten how much wildlife and rugged beauty is here in my own state.

We saw wild turkeys, seal lions and otters with their newborns, condors, sea elephants, crabs, starfish, deer, squirrels, chipmonks etc. The things one sees on a bike (and on foot) is so amazing.

(These pictures were taken by my cell phone camera)

Steve in SLO
05-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Nice pics!
I just rode up to Cambria yesterday...just a beautiful place.
Oh, and we saw a bobcat, so we can add that to the list.

AFS
05-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey, I recognize the winery signs on Foxen Cyn Rd by the old church. Did you see the wild turkeys on Tepusquet Cyn?

mikki
05-02-2010, 02:22 AM
AFS,

Yes, we spotted beautifully colored male turkeys in Tepusquet Cyn and also in the mountains east of Monterey.

We ate our good ole' PBJ sandwiches at the old church you are referring to and talked to the grounds keeper who filled us in on the history of the place. Have you walked around to notice the headstones in the graveyard there? Some of them are from 1825.

Cycling through the streets where the farmworkers were harvesting various crops...strawberries, kale, ciliantro (yum), basil, sunflower sprouts, etc. on the way to Solvang, filled our senses and gave us a sense of being in the workers world for just a moment in time. It also gave me an appreciation of how our food gets from the field to the plate.

alancw3
05-02-2010, 05:16 AM
nice pictures. thanks for sharing. yes california is a very diversified state in many ways.

tylercheung
11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
route pls ;)

rwsaunders
11-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice to see you post again, Mikki.

fourflys
11-09-2011, 10:34 PM
very cool, thanks for sharing! :D

rab
11-13-2011, 09:54 PM
When I see pictures like these it really makes me want to find a way to relocate to that area. Not to mention california could surely use more people?

onsight512
11-13-2011, 10:31 PM
When I see pictures like these it really makes me want to find a way to relocate to that area. Not to mention california could surely use more people?

We just moved to LA, from Las Vegas, six months ago. It is readily apparent why so many people choose to live here. It is beautiful.

old_fat_and_slow
11-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Are you talking "Pacific Beach" in San Diego?

Then, that's a pretty long ride. If so, how many days did you take? How did you get through Camp Pendleton?

Nice photies.

Pete Serotta
11-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks for sharing with us....Hope to meet you one day on the bike Mikki.

PETE

rab
11-14-2011, 11:50 PM
We just moved to LA, from Las Vegas, six months ago. It is readily apparent why so many people choose to live here. It is beautiful.

Totally agree. Even when I take all of the negatives into account, the positives of California are still pretty tough to beat.