PDA

View Full Version : Would you?

haleybird
03-26-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm searching for opinions. I am down to owning only one bike, the very last Serotta Max 853 ever made. This bike is fantastic and I love it like a child. It is like owning a fine work of art which nothing could replace. I take extraordinarily good care of it and have a real problem riding it in the mud and water as I fear damaging it. I always wait until late spring to ride it and never take it out in the rain. I find myself holding back when riding it. Am I crazy?!

CNote
03-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't know if you're crazy, but if so, then I must be too. I tend to wait until the spring rains and street sweepers clear the roads of salt and sand before taking out my favorite rides. Until then I'm stuck riding a much less inspiring bike that I have no emotional attachment to. This is the one time of year when I'm actually hoping for rain!

coylifut
03-26-2005, 10:29 AM
get a cheap fixed gear. ride all winter with no worries.

M_A_Martin
03-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Nope.

Well, no more than the rest of us.

I do my best to not take my "good" steel bikes out on the road until after the winter salt is washed off of the roads. That worked well when I had some aluminum mtbs and whatnot that I didn't mind thrashing, but now that my stable is all "good" steel I have to think of another approach!

dave thompson
03-26-2005, 10:51 AM
.......... but now that my stable is all "good" steel I have to think of another approach!
Move to Hawaii! :D

CNote
03-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Move to Hawaii! :D

With all that salty ocean air humidity? How about Arizona?

Tony Edwards
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
That's one reason I think it's handy to have a nice unpainted ti road bike and MTB - I can be as big a slob as I want without worrying.

RichMc
03-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Not to mention, but, it rains here too. Which is exactly what it is doing outside right now! :crap: Looks like no riding and no golf. What a wimp! So I'm putting out the trash in the morning and I'm thinking that the boys in Oregon would go do either one. I guess that's because if they didn't then they would hardly ride or play at all. Get the beater for the bad weather and don't worry about it. See, we're all crazy enough to even have the nice bikes which make us worry about the weather.

cycleman_21
03-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I have 3 bikes
1 mtb-2road,I think the one that cost me the most sees less of the crap conditions,but I'll ride them all in just about anything as long as it's above freezing out,no ice rides for me.

RC

spatz
03-26-2005, 11:46 AM
If I didn't ride outside in the cold and snow I would have less then 6 months of wheel time a year. Just got back inside from my morning ride with an air temperature of -15 C and nothing but pure white snow as far as an the eye see. Highway shoulders were clear and dry though so I was out on the victoire... good times. :banana:

spatz :)

haleybird
03-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I know I'm crazy but it's good to know I'm not alone. I'm kicking myself for selling the old Cannondale. What a beater it could have been! Oh well. Yeah guess I need to find something I really won't care about. An old steel Kona with steel rigid fork and full fenders.. Mmmmm...