PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross tire question

T-Crush
04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
The older I get the less the thought of a seriously technical "North Shore" ride on my MTB excites me. Besides I've got some great fire roads, good climbs and light single track right outside my back door.

So I'm entertaining the thought of selling the full suspension mtb and making do with my cyclocross bike, and here are my questions: How big of a tire will my current Open Pros take? Will they take a 29er tire? Since I'm running discs, what would the result be if I threw on a set of 26 inch mtb wheels that are collecting dust in the corner? I know the geometry wasn't made for that, but what does that mean in terms of how it would ride?

I rode it this morning with 33mm cross tires on our fairly well rutted fire road loop and while certainly fun, it does require a bit of attention.

Thanks in advance.

keithreynolds
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM
You're right it does require some attention. Now just use your road bike.
http://www.adventurecorps.com/way/whoneedsatb.html

For the open pros I think they spec 28, but hear of people going up to 32/33. I've run 32s and felt comfy for cross.

holliscx
06-24-2012, 08:28 AM
I run Hutchinson Bulldogs 34 mm on Open Pro CDs for cross

rockdude
06-24-2012, 09:16 AM
I use 45c tires with regular road rims all the time. The issue is that most CX frames do not accept 45c tires.

Gummee
06-24-2012, 10:22 AM
I consistently run 34s on mine w no issues. Since its the off season I have some 28c Gatorskins on as road tires.

I ride a Gunnar Crosshairs.

M