PDA

View Full Version : Continental Top Contact

Wilkinson4
04-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Looking for some rubber suggestions that will end up on my Carl Strong dirt road bike that will see more pavement than dirt. 70/30 split.

Anybody have any experience with these? Any other suggestions? Should I give Jack Browns a try? I can go up to 32/33.

mIKE

04-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Top Contacts are good if you're going to be touring unpaved roads through South America in the rainy season, and drug runners are trying to shoot out your tires. For any other application, they are overkill. Unless you are on really miserable rough roads most of the time, far from any support, lighter tires will do you just fine. Frankly, for what you describe, you'll probably be fine on Vittoria Open Pave 27 mm tires, and you'll like the ride a lot more.

d_douglas
04-29-2010, 04:27 AM
I BELIEVE that is what is on my commuter (32mm, but narrow in my opinion - more like a 30mm) and they work great. Never once had a flat and they roll pretty well. Obviously, you will sacrifice some performance on these (they are heavy) but they are totally reliable in the long run. I don't generally find Conti tires sexy, but they are typically reliable as hell, and you can't overlook that fact!

I would offer these up to you (as I am switching to knobbies on my commuter), but I don't think they fold and I live in Switzerland - - - $60 new worth of tires +$30 worth of shipping = a ripoff :(

They are cheapish, so they are worth a try, in my opinion.

Ken Robb
04-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Panaracer Paselas come in 700x32 and I like them for the kind of riding you describe. I also like Riv Ruffy tuffy and Roly-Poly tires but on dirt 32-35mm is a lot better for me and not bad on the pavement.

fourflys
04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I think the Jack Browns would be awesome... Andy Hampston thinks they're good enough for him....

John M
04-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Consider the Schwalbe Durano, which is the successor to the Schwalbe Stelvio that I have had much success with on mixed surfaces in the 700 X 28. They make a wire bead Durano in 700 x32 mm--Hard to find, but another alternative to the Jack Browns.

veggieburger
04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
http://www.bikefix.co.uk/i/moiree.jpg

vredestein Perfect Moiree - a great tire option, IMO. Works great on roads, gravel and rain.

MarleyMon
04-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I have been riding a set of regular Contacts since July and they are nice.
Mine are 28s and I go on unpaved roads and trails as much as possible - so far w/ no problems.