PDA

View Full Version : Hed C2 wheels-- sidewalls more vulnerable?

Daverino
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
In considering a Hed wheelset with their C2 (wider) rims, I understand the rationale behind the wider rim. After tearing the sidewall on one of my Krylion carbons this past weekend (mounted on Ksyrium wheels), would a wider rim expose the sidewalls more to cuts/punctures?

I ride a lot of dirt roads, so it's a concern for me. Anyone with C2 rims notice more wear/cuts/punctures on the sidewalls?

Dave Wages
04-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I've been riding a pair of Ardennes for a couple months and no problems. If it does expose the sidewalls more, I doubt it's a measurable difference.

As for the ride, I'm sold. The closest thing to riding tubulars without getting out the glue.

jlwdm
04-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Dave:

There have been some reports of having trouble changing tires - tight. Have you had any problems? What tires do you use?

Jeff

dave thompson
04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I've had my Bastogne wheels for 9 months now, no issues. I would posit the sidewall problems would be less on the wide rims compared to the narrow rims for two reasons; first the tire pressures are lower in the wide vs narrow rim which makes for a more puncture resistant object. Second a 23 tire on the HED rim is closer to the same rim width than the same tire on a narrow rim, thus the sidewall is more shielded/protected on the wide rim.

I've used Vittoria Open Corsa EVO, Continental GP4000 and Bontrager RaceLite tires on the HED wheels and in all cases I can remove and install the tires by hand.

Dave Wages
04-28-2010, 01:35 PM
I've only run one set of tires so far, but they're no tighter than any other rims I've used. Challenge Elite 23C tires so far, although they're a wide 23. I've got a set of Open Corsa CX 25's I'm saving for when those wear out!

dimsy
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I've had my Bastogne wheels for 9 months now, no issues. I would posit the sidewall problems would be less on the wide rims compared to the narrow rims for two reasons; first the tire pressures are lower in the wide vs narrow rim which makes for a more puncture resistant object. Second a 23 tire on the HED rim is closer to the same rim width than the same tire on a narrow rim, thus the sidewall is more shielded/protected on the wide rim.

I've used Vittoria Open Corsa EVO, Continental GP4000 and Bontrager RaceLite tires on the HED wheels and in all cases I can remove and install the tires by hand.

I'm also considering a pair of the hed c2 wheels. If on my current rims i'm running a set of 23's @ 100psi F and 110psi R, how much less psi would I run on the wider rims?

What was your case? I've heard they don't require as high a pressure but just how much less pressure?

thanks!

Bruce K
04-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Most of us run about 10% less pressure on C2 rims. If that makes you uncomfortable then try 5% for starters and paly around.

No incidence of cut sidewalls with me and I use some of my C2's for cyclocross as well. If anything I would think the fact the there is less sidewall bulge would provide better sidewall protection not less.

As for mounting issues it seems to vary with tire brand rather than the wheels themselves. Michelins seem to be the most difficult but I use Pro3's on all my HED road wheels and they seem to go on and off just fine.

BK

danielb
04-28-2010, 05:53 PM
No problems with sidewall cuts on my Ardennes, and if you think about it, the sidewall shouldn't be "out" any further, it should just line up with the rim, which could provide some (painful?) protection.

I've tried greater than 10% drop in pressure creating a softer ride with no loss of control or squirming etc. If you're trying to get as low as possible, you'll just have to play.

Lastly, I ran into a width issue with the Zero Gravity brakes I had on my bike. I couldn't tell you what year they were from (07? 06?) but the front brake wouldn't open wide enough to accept the rim. Most brakes open lots more, and I understand that others use Zero Gravs without a problem (they might open wider now I haven't checked) but FYI, it's something to pay attention depending on the brakes you run. I've seen no problem with SRAM, Shimano, Campy, Revl, etc.

And FYI, I love the ride and am looking forward to the other companies (Velocity has a rim/wheel coming out, the A23) matching it. Awesome stuff.

Bruce K
04-28-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm surprised to hear about the Zero-G's as I have them on 2 bikes with C2 rims and no issues.

Yours must be earlier versions or ?????

BK

blschaefer1
04-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I have a set of Ardennes. I had one issue getting a bead to seat, but that was likely my fault.

I am actually seeing increased tire life.

My favorite wheelset.

jharsha
04-29-2010, 12:15 AM
I've been riding c2's for about a year and a half now and love them. No sidewall damage at all. In fact when I occasionally ride DT's or OP's and glance at my rear wheel when riding and see the bulge I think I'm getting a flat until I remember what wheels I've got on.

Jim

roguedog
04-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Wow.. thanks for starting this thread. Have been playing around with getting another set of wheels from the OPs I currently have.

For some reason the C2s have caught my eye.

How do they ride though? It seems that a lot of folks love 'em.

It's either these, maybe a set of ROLs. I think Campy nucleons would be too similar to the OPs. Looking for lighter, faster, "more fun" but still practical set of wheels. I *think* these fit the bill?

Any "don't get these, if..." thoughts?

(is this thread drift? if so, sorry OP, let me know and i'll post new thread)

Bruce K
04-29-2010, 04:27 AM
There have been several threads with ride quality and tire life discussions.

In a nutshell, everyone likes or loves the ride characterisitics (I haven't heard any negatives) and everyone seems to be seeing extended tire life.

BK