PDA

View Full Version : Nashbar Chain Master

Joe
04-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Looking for something to manage the chain while transporting the bike in the car.

Nashbar makes this one.

Before I buy, are there any alternatives? Thanks.

Joe

dave thompson
04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Looking for something to manage the chain while transporting the bike in the car.

Nashbar makes this one.

Before I buy, are there any alternatives? Thanks.

Joe
Pedros makes something very similar. Either would work very well for the intended use. It would be hard to get it wrong.

Mike748
04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
I have a Pedros. Kinda of a pain to install but it does the job.

torquer
04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
How about just a hub (from a wrecked wheel, say) and old cassette?
Wouldn't even need to be the correct number of speeds, as long as the chain fit over the cogs.

thegunner
04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
How about just a hub (from a wrecked wheel, say) and old cassette?
Wouldn't even need to be the correct number of speeds, as long as the chain fit over the cogs.

great idea, i was actually trying to figure out the same thing with simply a skewer and a singe speed cog attached.

fierte_poser
04-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I can recommend the BBB ChainGrip for this purpose:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=ChainGrip&vendorCode=BBB&major=6&minor=6

While the esteemed Mr. Thompson correctly states that this would be hard to get wrong, I feel the Pedros piece (or any shaped similarly piece...like the Nashbar pictured) got it wrong. I can't install the Pedros unit in my Fierte frame without it hitting either the chain stay or the seat stay. It is kind of like trying to install a 25t cog where an 11t, 12t, or 13t cog is meant to be...if that makes any sense.

The BBB ChainGrip is better because:

1. The chain keeper portion is a small diameter. No interference with s-bend chain/seat stays.

2. The chain keeper portion can slide along the axle such that there are no chainline issues...it doesn't care what gear the RD is in.

Hope that helps,
Kent

PaulE
04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
The Pedro's piece is ok for light duty if it fits. Mostly I use my Pedro's chain keeper when I'm cleaning the bike with the wheels off. When I ship my bike in a Trico case, I use an old rear axle with the bearing races and locknuts, and the quick release. For that kind of duty, you want something to keep the chainstays properly spread and secured. You do't need a cog if the chain isn't spinning. Probikekit sells something similar to a rear axle with a cog for the chain.

max_powers
04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
those plastic press fit doo dads used to protect dropouts on new bikes in boxes work fine if not spinning the chain.

LBS may recycle some to u

Richard
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I do what PaulE does, but I added (between the old cones and locknuts) an old jockey wheel from a derailleur. I set it up so that the derailleur could be shifted all the way to the inside and the chain could ride on the jockey wheel. For shipping, this puts the derailleur in the least vulnerable position.

LegendRider
04-29-2010, 11:13 AM
I can recommend the BBB ChainGrip for this purpose:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=ChainGrip&vendorCode=BBB&major=6&minor=6

While the esteemed Mr. Thompson correctly states that this would be hard to get wrong, I feel the Pedros piece (or any shaped similarly piece...like the Nashbar pictured) got it wrong. I can't install the Pedros unit in my Fierte frame without it hitting either the chain stay or the seat stay. It is kind of like trying to install a 25t cog where an 11t, 12t, or 13t cog is meant to be...if that makes any sense.

The BBB ChainGrip is better because:

1. The chain keeper portion is a small diameter. No interference with s-bend chain/seat stays.

2. The chain keeper portion can slide along the axle such that there are no chainline issues...it doesn't care what gear the RD is in.

Hope that helps,
Kent

What does the "thing" tethered to the axle do?

Bytesiz
04-29-2010, 11:59 AM
What does the "thing" tethered to the axle do?

Looks like a wedge to keep disk brake pads separated.

r_mutt
04-29-2010, 03:11 PM
nashbar version does the job, and is cheap.