PDA

View Full Version : Crankset?

tkbike
04-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I have a certain 595 coming from a forumite on the west coast that I need a crankset for. I have a DA on my Fierte IT and have used them on other rides with absolutely no problems. I have DA 7800 brakes, front/rear derailleur and levers waiting for the new ride. I had an issue with the K-force crankset(others I know had the same problem) that I was using and need to find a replacement for the new ride. The way I see it my options are; 7800, 7900, new ultegra or ?????, looking for suggestions from you Shimano guys. Is the 7900 worth the extra $'s over the 7800 or Ultegra? My son(bkboom123) is always trying to convince me to go SRAM. Looking for the most bang for the buck, reliability and compatibility.

The K-force is gone, on its way to Missouri!

If anybody needs a set of K-force rings in 50 x 34 and a right crank arm with less than 500 miles or if you want the entire crankset(axle threads are totally stripped) pm me. You pay for the shipping and they are yours!

Forgot to mention, crank arms are 175

Pete Serotta
04-27-2010, 05:56 PM
They both will do the same job for you. The design and finish are the only differences in my opinion. (If I was a pro racer I might feel different but I have used ultegra and dura ace of each generation and they have all worked flawlessly. (Yeah this is from a guy who still likes Campy but uses his Shimano bikes for travel) :cool: PETE

godfrey1112000
04-27-2010, 06:10 PM
My FSA pooped out on me so I purchased the 7900, one word, Perfect

djg21
04-27-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a certain 595 coming from a forumite on the west coast that I need a crankset for. I have a DA on my Fierte IT and have used them on other rides with absolutely no problems. I have DA 7800 brakes, front/rear derailleur and levers waiting for the new ride. I had an issue with the K-force crankset(others I know had the same problem) that I was using and need to find a replacement for the new ride. The way I see it my options are; 7800, 7900, new ultegra or ?????, looking for suggestions from you Shimano guys. Is the 7900 worth the extra $'s over the 7800 or Ultegra? My son(bkboom123) is always trying to convince me to go SRAM. Looking for the most bang for the buck, reliability and compatibility.

If anybody needs a set of K-force rings in 50 x 34 and a right crank arm with less than 500 miles or if you want the entire crankset(axle threads are totally stripped) pm me. You pay for the shipping and they are yours!

As I see it, the bigger question is whether you want to go with a compact. The DA 7900 is available in a compact, as is the Ultegra. The DA 7800 is available with only the standard 130mm BCD.

If you want, I may have a DA 7800 crank for sale -- used, but in decent shape. I went with the compact to spare my knees, in which I have pretty bad osteoartheritis. I do like the compacts, and think they make a lot of sense.

ahumblecycler
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
bkboom123 is your son ... nice kid.

I just received my Ultegra 6700 compact, and I hope to give a better report soon. What I can is that the two finish of the 6700 is different from the 7900. I notice the finish difference more in the non-chain ring side. Having said that, I truly appreciate the look of the recessed spider compared to my DA7800 and R700 cranks.

Peformance Bike is running good deals on their Shimano stuff (where I got my 6700 to replace my Record/Chorus 11-speed mix). The Ultegra does not weigh that much more and costs that much less. Just saying.

Dave
04-28-2010, 07:24 AM
I'd consider Campy Chorus or Athena cranks. They're both a good deal and they will work with 10 speed.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Chainsets-Road/CHAR

oldpotatoe
04-28-2010, 08:05 AM

If you want reliability then you want shimano, not sram. 7900 is very stiff, chainring wise but the big ring is $400+ to replace. 6700 is a nice alternative as is 7800 or 6600. All are compatible as are any Campagnolo cranks.

Marcusaurelius
04-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Although I like almost everything campagnolo I do prefer shimano cranksets. The 7800 is the best crankset I've used. I still haven't warmed up to the appearance of the 7900 to want to try it.

avalonracing
04-28-2010, 09:34 AM
PM on chainrings. Thx.

tkbike
04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
The K-force is gone, on its way to Missouri!

bkboom123
04-28-2010, 11:40 AM
you should most likely just abandon the old heavy DA7800 completely and go with something new and light, with nice white accents to match the new frame. some thing like 2010 sram force.....

tkbike
04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Guess who talked me into a 2010 SRAM Force groupset, for his sake I better like it, I know where he lives. I now have DA 7800 levers, F & R derailleurs, BB and brakes that I will have to part with to help fund the SRAM, its either that or a divorce! Maybe I can hide them and she won't notice!

Thanks for all the information and help, even though I ignored most of it!