PDA

View Full Version : Skewers

gwk
01-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Skewers. I was reading a post about some skewers which didn't grip sufficiently. Therefore the question: What is the most popular brand of skewers used?

dnovo
01-24-2004, 09:33 PM
You see a lot of Salsa skewers, assuming the hubs or the wheelset do not come with skewers. (Mavic usually includes their own skewers, as does Campy on their pre-built wheels and with their hubs.) Dave N.

gwk
01-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks Dave for answering such a basic question. My wheels didn't come with any. I'm stupid about this kind of stuff. George

PanTerra
01-25-2004, 12:43 AM
I use shimano XT mtb skewers on the rear wheels of my road bikes.

Kevin
01-25-2004, 06:30 AM
I have several sets of wheels, so I have expereinece with skewers that come with the wheels (Campy and Mavic) and skewers that I had to buy after market (Salsa and Zipps). Skewers are the type of thing that as long as they do their job, i.e. keep the wheel on the frame, you don't give them much thought. All of these skewers are easy to operate and they do keep the wheels on. So it really comes down to appearance, weight, cost and what your LBS has in stock.

I have also ordered a set of skewers from Bold Precision. They offer their skewers in 6 different colors if you want to try and match your wheels or your frame. In addition, they weigh about half what the other skewers weigh. When I receive those skewers I will let you know what I think. I have included the link below.

http://www.boldprecision.com/

Kevin

Redturbo
01-25-2004, 07:09 AM
I find my campy and mavic skewers feel very secure when locking down. I have a set of salsa's and they just don't seem to have a positive locking position. With that said, I have had no problems with them.

turbo

keno
01-25-2004, 07:28 AM
those Bold products look really sizzlin'. Have you seen any up close, or are you just going from his website?

keno

gwk
01-25-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks Kevin. As always, really good information.

Thanks Redturbo! George

Kevin
01-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Keno,

I have never seen them in person. When I get them I will let you know if they look as good in person as they do on the website.

Kevin

dnovo
01-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Thank you Kevin. As a long time fan and owner of Bimota's products, this is the first time I have seen the Bimota modified MV that was listed at that site. This guy must really know his stuff, and the products look neat as all hell. Dave N. (who just went out into the garage this cold, snowy morning to gaze on his restored 1986 Bimota DB-1 sitting quietly waiting for Spring.)

Too Tall
01-27-2004, 06:42 AM
You are disturbing all the moths in my head. Refresh my memory, you are reffering to a recent article somewhere...and I saw it too. DOH! I remember, it was an article in Tandem Cyclist of America magazine. The premise was that skewers were yanking out of forks during crashes and this was somehow blamed on disk brakes????? Help me out here.

I remember reading this and thinking that they got it all wrong. If anybodys front wheel is coming out of the fork than it is likely due to independant fork movement or something more catastrophic. Gag and not a failure of the QR/fork interface OR caused by disk brakes...geeze!

Msr' Campagnolo is spinning in his grave.

pale scotsman
01-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Too Tall - There's been some speculation in the mountain bike community that the ultralight ti skewers and disc brakes don't mix. Actually I think it's Salsa that doesn't recommend ti skewers with disc brakes.

Not too long ago a rider in the UK was paralyzed from a crash that looks to have been caused by the front wheel coming out of the dropouts under heavy braking. He was running discs.