PDA

View Full Version : OK Moab people ..................

TMB
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Clearly this Gran Fondo on the weekend is someone's idea of a joke - right???

If I read accuweather right - it seems to be pointing to thunderstorms with a chance of ............ SNOW.

You're kidding right?

Exactly how cold is it going to be at the summit, and what clothes do I bring with me????

JER3
04-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Yesterday I rode from my house near the golf course (~4600 ft) to the Geyser pass turn off (~8000 ft). It was 77 F at bottom and 60 F at the top. Its usually about 5 degrees cooler at my house than it is downtown so you could easily see over 20 degrees difference from downtown to the top. The mountains make their own weather however so it could be a lot more.

I tried to drive the loop road (counter clockwise) two weeks ago and it was closed at the point where you start down to Castle Valley. I presume the closure was due to snow or perhaps road damage. I assume its open by now but you may want to check with the ride organizers to be sure.

We've had a really long cold winter here and it may not be over yet judging by the forecast for this weekend.

There is plenty of good riding to be had at lower elevations so you'll definitely be able to ride when you come to Moab. Whether it makes any sense to do the course up over the La Sals on Saturday morning is another issue however.

Hope that helps!

gdw
04-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Some of the worst weather that I've ever ridden in has been in that region so be prepared. Wear a wool jersey if you have one, bring arm and leg warmers, a light hat, plus a good rain jacket. The section of the ride which passes through the La Sals is most likely where you'll encounter the ugly weather. Enjoy, Moab is beautiful even with snow on the ground.

dogdriver
04-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Yup. Unpredictable time of year in the desert. Went down two years ago for the century, decided to bag it due to weather forecast, did local road rides instead, watched the riders head down the Colorado River road in sleet and 35' temps. Rode Canyonlands later in the day after the wx cleared. Glad we did what we did, as we heard several reports of hypothermia and crashes due to slippery pavement.

That said, I ride the La Salle Loop a couple times a year-- one of my favorite road rides anywhere...

Regarding the road closure, the bridge near the top of the loop was rebuilt a couple years ago and the century was modified to a series of out-and-backs. I'll bet it closes as conditions dictate seasonally-- I'd check with someone local (Poison Spider bike shop?) to see the status. Would bet its open, though, as I have several friends going down for it and they haven't heard anything to the contrary.

If you have a few days, swing by Over The Edge cycles in Fruita on Friday-- the Park City Dharma Wheels crowd will be there (Look for the Bon Scott memorial whiskey bar-- long story)-- and you'll get to experience the Gran Fondo hung over...

Best, Chris

TMB
04-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm just looking at the weather forecast and Iknow what it's like riding in Banff at this time of year.

The web-site says the road is open, that isn't the worry.

I'm just looking at the forecast - and working out the numbers.

It will be cold in town at 7AM, and that means it will be even colder on the pass later on.

I don't know what the day holds - I am flying down Friday - Kelowna to seattle to Salt Lake and then driving over to Moab from there.

I'm sort of guessing I will get in around 6 or so Friday night.

Which brings up another question ........... Probably the worst stretch of rush hour road anywhere is I-15 going through that Salt Lake area. is there a way that I can get from SLC airport to Moab without sitting on the Friday afternoon I-15 parking lot????

JER3
04-27-2010, 11:31 AM
There's a route to Moab by going east on 80 and and then south but its much much longer. Probably better off to have dinner and let the traffic clear in SLC.

Be really careful and in no hurry on route 6 over to Price. That is one of the most dangerous roads in the country; especially in bad weather.

JohnHemlock
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm just looking at the weather forecast and Iknow what it's like riding in Banff at this time of year.

The web-site says the road is open, that isn't the worry.

I'm just looking at the forecast - and working out the numbers.

It will be cold in town at 7AM, and that means it will be even colder on the pass later on.

I don't know what the day holds - I am flying down Friday - Kelowna to seattle to Salt Lake and then driving over to Moab from there.

I'm sort of guessing I will get in around 6 or so Friday night.

Which brings up another question ........... Probably the worst stretch of rush hour road anywhere is I-15 going through that Salt Lake area. is there a way that I can get from SLC airport to Moab without sitting on the Friday afternoon I-15 parking lot????

You can't go all the way from the Okanagan to Moab and NOT ride the fondo. I think you must ride unless the forecast calls for rabid yetis and tornados.

sjbraun
04-27-2010, 10:40 PM
I ride the Moab Century Tour each Fall. A few years ago, it got cold and wet during the ride. Riders were being turned back due to deteriorating conditions and locals were called to evacuate riders who had made it to the top, but couldn't get down.
I left my gloves safely in my room. Coming down Castle Valley was one of the more challenging things I've ever done on a bike. We stopped several times to try to restore feeling to our hands. Finally one of our group had the brilliant idea to use his knee warmers on his hands. It was a fantastic idea that saved the ride for me.

So, bring lots of clothes and have fun. The Moab riding is fantastic.

Steve
If its any consolation, at the recent Gran Fondo in San Diego, we spent four hours riding in pouring rain.

TMB
04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
You can't go all the way from the Okanagan to Moab and NOT ride the fondo. I think you must ride unless the forecast calls for rabid yetis and tornados.

Sure I can. :beer:

Accidentally sleep in.

I have been looking forward to this weekend, a couple of days out of the office and some warm weather.

Apart from being in AZ at spring break I have yet to get outside in shorts yet this year, and I have gone out in short fingered gloves - once.

This weather forecast about makes me want to cry - more winter jackets, more long fingered gloves, more beanies, more ......... more.

Have to admit, still looking forward to the trip but feeling inclined to just get on the bike and toodle around looking at stuff ...

PBWrench
04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
If for any reason you have to bag the La Sal, ride out to Dead Horse Point or up Arches, both magnificent rides. Have a great time!

TMB
04-29-2010, 08:20 AM
If for any reason you have to bag the La Sal, ride out to Dead Horse Point or up Arches, both magnificent rides. Have a great time!

This is what I'm leaning toward.

Sleep in, then head up to the Arches.

PBWrench
04-29-2010, 08:22 AM
PM if you want any specific advice, recommendations, etc. I travel from Minnesota to Moab every year for the Skinny Tire Festival.

dogdriver
04-29-2010, 08:58 AM
This is what I'm leaning toward.

Sleep in, then head up to the Arches.

TMB-- Another option (in no particular order):

Canyonlands-- Either from the highway to Dead Horse (as previously suggested) or drive to the park HQ and then ride to Grandview Point and back. Very little traffic with this option.

Arches-- Awesome. Lots of cars, though.

Slickrock-- No secret (Duh), but unique in the universe. You can't do this anywhere else. You can have the rest of the Moab riding (with the exception of Sovereign Trail, a lovingly crafted new addition), but I never go to Moab without doing a Slickrock loop. Rent a mountain bike and do it.

The La Salle loop is a fantastic ride, especially supported, and I hope that the weather comes through for you. I, for one, shall be sitting on my fat a$$ at work thinking of you all.

Best, Chris

JER3
04-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Its very windy with a snow / rain mix here in Moab right now (Noon Thursday).

Hope it clears for your ride on Saturday. Even if its too cold/wet/icy for riding roads and slickrock there are plenty of hiking and scenic drive opportunities here. Bad weather sometimes makes for great photo opportunities so don't forget the camera.

TMB
04-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Here is a question - that will no doubt seem odd to some - am I going to be able to see the Canucks/Black Hawks game in Moab ......... somewhere........... anywhere???

xjoex
04-29-2010, 09:14 PM
After you ride all day, go eat at Pasta Jays, nothing fancy but so good.

Also if you go to arches, lock up the bike and take a hike!
http://boulder.inotion.com/joe/2005/04-02_arches/l1010344.jpg

-Joe

zmudshark
04-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Here is a question - that will no doubt seem odd to some - am I going to be able to see the Canucks/Black Hawks game in Moab ......... somewhere........... anywhere???

I understand that the Red Wings will be on most stations, so no worries ;)

TMB
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM

The who?????

What sport do they play?

TMB
04-29-2010, 11:35 PM

Did I ever tell you what my favourite Hockey Team is???

sjbraun
05-01-2010, 08:46 PM
So how was the ride?