PDA

View Full Version : WTB completely awesome saddle

alias320
04-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I am in the market for a new saddle. I really want to try something new to me, and ridiculously cool. I currently ride an arione, but I will be putting some centuries on it, and I'd rather not use that saddle. So dear forumites, what do you have? My budget is $80-$100. Used in good condition preferred to new. I like black saddles, but if it has red or white highlights, that's great too. Brand is unimportant, but the weight weenie in me wants something under 250g. PM with what you have and the price you'd like to sell it for. Thanks in advance!

Ti_on_Steel
04-28-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't have an extra, but if you need a awesome century saddle, try a leather brooks. Once you break it in, its the best saddle you will ever ride. They are quite heavy though.

jordan
04-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Why don't you want to use the arione? If you're worried about putting mileage on the arione you already have, buy another. They are worth it.

happycampyer
04-29-2010, 05:20 AM
If you go for 4 25-mile rides, you'll end up putting the same number of miles on the saddle. If the Arione is comfortable for you for long distances, I agree with jordan 100%. Beware of buying a saddle thinking that if it's comfortable for 25 miles that it's comfortable for 100, and just because a saddle is ridiculously cool won't necessarily mean that it's comfortable for you (and some saddles, whether ridiculously cool or not, may not be comfortable for 5 miles).

If you are worried about wearing it out, it will eventually but certainly not fast enough for you to worry about taking it off for century rides. Very lightly used Ariones show up every once in a while in your price range (don't ask me how I know), so you could take your time and pick up one when it shows up.

alias320
04-29-2010, 07:24 AM
I really would have no problem riding the arione, but I wonder for higher mileage events whether or not it would be the most comfortable option. I ride it now for a max of around 60 with little problems. I know that comfort is highly contingent on physiology and such, but was interested in trying something that was perhaps a little wider. Although- perhaps I should just keep with the arione and buy another...

The ultimate goal is the 200mi lancaster county nightmare ride- although I suppose any saddle isn't going to be your friend after 14 hours of sitting on it.

Lovetoclimb
04-29-2010, 07:44 AM
I have been riding a toupe (143mm width) for 3 years now without any issues. It is incredibly light, comes in a 3 sizes I believe for the varying bum widths out there, has a relief cut out for the pants yabbies, flexes to handle the bumps and shift in saddle positioning, and is right in your price range. I do not have an extra right now, but I highly recommend you investigate this as an option.

My teammate moved to an Arione a year ago and after putting some consecutive 100+ mile days down, my crotchal situation was fine, while he was experiencing some unpleasant numbness as he described.

Another idea, and one saddle I am considering as an alternative to the Toupe on the training bike is the Selle Italia Flite. Also available in varying widths with a cut-out, small indentation, or flat. And again in your price range on the used market. I just picked one up for $80. Same guy is selling a brand new one for $90 I believe.

jordan
04-29-2010, 07:48 AM
I would say that the more you ride an arione, the better. The Wing Flex "technology" actually works, and after you ride for a while, the saddle molds to your pelvis a little. My friends brother rode his for a long time and there was a significant bend in the saddle where he put his weight (drive side I think). Regardless, I love my arione, and I think someone in another current thread refers to them as the "holy grail" of saddles.