PDA

View Full Version : Kuota Khan--a smooth looking carbon frame

William
03-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Anyone seen the Kuota Khan frames? Handmade woven carbon fiber tubes & lugs that supposedly has Kevlar worked into the mix. What caught my eye was the drive side chain stay. The rear derailleur cable is internally routed through the chain stay. Where the cable exits is a notch in the top of the CS. I'm sure they have tested it but it sure looks like it could compromise the strength of the CS. You can't really see it in the Pez review, but Cycle Sport had a good close up shot of it. I'll see if I can scan it later and post it.

Other than that, I have to admit that it's a cool looking bike IMHO. If you could get them to do a custom, I wonder what it would run?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1670

William

BumbleBeeDave
03-25-2005, 06:36 AM
I agree it’s a swoopy looking ride. But I’m not sure I like the overall look. With those rims it just has too much of that “stage prop cut out of cardboard” look.

Also, how long has Kuota been making bikes? What kind of history do they have with carbon? Is this one of those companies that was in the carbon fabricating biz anyway, or are they total get-on-the-bandwagon newcomers? THAT’s the factor that would make me wonder about that chainstay design--or not.

BBDave

BarryG
03-25-2005, 06:49 AM
To each his own. That is one fugly ride IMHO, specially the down/top tubes and graphics.

Barry

William
03-25-2005, 06:55 AM
I was referring mainly to the frame. The close up picts in the pez review show some of the lines better, BUT that rear CS is still suspect to me.

BTW, I'd prefer the rims in stealth mode.

William

zap
03-25-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm sure Kouta's business partners have plenty of experience building "handmade" carbon frames.

My Look Monoblade has internal routing through the rear cs and after 11 years, the whole frame is still in one piece.

BumpyintheBurgh
03-25-2005, 09:56 AM
The Khan frame looks like carbon on steroids, the perfect bike for Barry Bonds. I've seen the Kuota frames (Khan, Kusano and Kredo) at LaBicicletta bike shop in Toronto. The Khan is a striking frame, beautiful carbon fiber detail which has a reddish tint in the clearcoat version. If the Khan is too muscular looking for you, check out the Kusano or the Kredo. I think you can get the Khan in either clearcoat or matte finish.
Kuota is owned by Sintema, the Italian parts manufacturer. I believe the frames are made by Martek in Taiwan.
I almost got the Kusano frame but opted to go with a Calfee Tetra Pro, got a better deal. Currently there is a Khan on eBay, starting bid at $4000.

Sandy
03-25-2005, 09:59 AM
After 11 years are you? :)

Peace,

Sandman

zap
03-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Sandy, actually yes, but I was more of one piece 14 years ago :rolleyes:

Ozz
03-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Actually, it looks a lot like some of the Fondriest carbon frames....

shinomaster
03-26-2005, 05:20 PM
my brothers three legged cat Ghengis Kahn is one bad assed mo' fo'...

CNote
03-26-2005, 05:34 PM
I agree with Barry that the frame is fugly, but the stem is even fuglier.

JohnS
03-26-2005, 06:30 PM
I had read that carbon could be laid up in specific directions so that it could resist stresses or torque from that direction. If that is true, wouldn't plain round cf tubes work just as well as all these weird shapes? Are they just for looks or am I missing something here?

chrisroph
03-26-2005, 06:35 PM
The wheels are nice.

dnovo
03-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Carbon is the material du jour for bikes. Let's face it, there isn't a whole lot you can do with it other than to adapt some odd shapes to set your frames apart from the crowd. I've seen the Kuotas 'in the flesh', they look nice, but for me, I'll stick to the two companies I trust for 'time in grade' in this material:

Calfee (I have and was riding one this morning, my Dragonfly.) Craig has been building in carbon since the early '90s, long before it became fashionable. Hard to argue with his experience and skill -- plus they will build exactly what you want and do it up the way you want it too look.

The other company, one of the 'big' manufacturers in the bike world, is Look, who has been at it longer than any of the other big companies.

Go with the Force, not with the 'here today, gone tomorrow if there is a problem.' Dave N.

slowgoing
03-27-2005, 12:20 PM
I don't get it. About 90% of the review is looks and build, 10% is the ride report and performance.

Kevan
03-28-2005, 09:23 AM
from what I've seen of it, the down tube cable stops look to be hyper-extended from the frame and potentially fragile for snaping off.

wheelworks
03-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Also, how long has Kuota been making bikes? What kind of history do they have with carbon? Is this one of those companies that was in the carbon fabricating biz anyway, or are they total get-on-the-bandwagon newcomers? THAT’s the factor that would make me wonder about that chainstay design--or not.

BBDave[/QUOTE]

Kuota is an Italian design Taiwan made bike. The frames are made in the same factory as Specialized (Martek).

William
07-10-2008, 09:04 AM
I know this is an old thread, but hey, they made it to the tour. Team Agritubel is riding them.

William

David Kirk
07-10-2008, 09:13 AM
KHAN!

http://services.tos.net/pics/st2/st2-khan.gif

dave

William
07-10-2008, 09:18 AM
KHAN!

dave

:D :D :banana: :banana:

http://admiralrupert.googlepages.com/kirk.jpg

Charles M
07-10-2008, 09:19 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3928&stc=1

Oh God. That's an old pic from one of the first reviews I ever did and right off I blew it... If Khan rode a bike it probably would have been a Ti Mountainbike ;) My pictures were also, well, *****. Good grief :bike:

And damn I made a big deal about it, but then perspective wise, Kuota made that bike in full carbon when Pinarello's cutting edge curvy carbon bike still looked like this...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/tech/probikes/Telekom_Pinarello/Bike.jpg

So the Kuota guys were a good chunk out front at the time for clear carbon finish as well as the shape.

In fairness to Pinarello, I loved the Prince too...
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/images/images_tech/2bikes.jpg

I have another bike from them that will run during the tour, though it's not clear carbon.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/sram/red-kuducred.jpg

Cheers to them though. I talked to the owner when their guy won the Yellow and he was joking "I can't believe how easy winning yellow is. It took us just 3 days. Whats the big deal? Do I said "cool get it back". He says "OK, But first we want to share, maybe for a long time".

William
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Small World. Cool, thanks for sharing.

Do you have any full picts of the Marlboro rig?

William

Charles M
07-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Plenty rolling in a week or so...

Fixed
07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Marlboro rig = nascar
cheers imho

johnnymossville
07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Oh it definitely looks handmade. Like a 7th grade Shop Class project. Too many angles heading every which way, mostly just to be different, with a bit of psuedo-science marketing lingo thrown in. My opinion of course. I wouldn't mind riding one to see how it feels.

It might perform well, but I wouldn't buy it based on looks alone. Some of the other Kuota bikes look better though.

Charles M
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
That's a 2003 rig... Old thread.

I like their KOM and the New Kredo for looks The new stuff's better. But the Khan does have a really smooth ride.

DarkStar
07-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Starting appearing around here two or three years ago, now it seems as every racer boy/girl is riding one. Have zero appeal for me. :beer: