PDA

View Full Version : 6 Hr Ride in SB

hairylegs
04-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey guys...

Gonna do my long ride in my home town of SB next weekend hopefully. I plan on climbing Gibraltar for sure, but the loop that I did in February was only 3:45 or so. Any thoughts on an additional climb and mileage to take it up to 6? I could do a point to point....so I was considering taking the 154 to Solvang after and climb Mt Figueroa?

Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

Thanks mucho.

Cody

MattTuck
04-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Won't pretend to make a suggestion, since I've only spent 4 days in Santa Barbara. However, I did drive up 154 to Solvang to get to some vineyards.

I remember remarking how beautiful a climb it would be, IF there weren't so many cars flying up it at 45+ mph, whipping around blind turns.

If you do ride that section, be careful of traffic.

Jeff N.
04-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I think a ride up 154 would be suicide.

Jack Brunk
04-25-2010, 04:47 PM
I've done the San Marcos pass climb a half dozen times and I've never had an issue. Go early and just pay attention between the summit and lake cachuma. After that it's a piece of cake into Los Olivas. Then it's a easy route up to Mt. Figeroa. I'm doing it next weekend.

Tom Byrnes
04-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Highway 154 is not my idea of a pleasurable ride. Way too much traffic.

Aah, . . . riding in Santa Barbara County.

I would drive over 154 to Los Olivos in my car and do Figueroa via Happy Canyon and then ride to Los Olivos, then do a portion of the Solvang Century, except in a reverse, or counter-clockwise direction (e.g., up Foxen Canyon, to Sisquoc, over Cat Canyon to Drum Canyon to Santa Rosa Road Hwy 246 to Ballard Canyon and back to Los Olivos.

After-Ride meal at Los Olivos Cafe (Serotta Pete's favorite).

Tom

Pete Serotta
04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I like Tom's route and the CAFE and ride is my favorite for I only do it with Tom and some other very good friends (as some RED wine) :beer:

Jeff N.
04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I've done the San Marcos pass climb a half dozen times and I've never had an issue. Go early and just pay attention between the summit and lake cachuma. After that it's a piece of cake into Los Olivas. Then it's a easy route up to Mt. Figeroa. I'm doing it next weekend.
Amazing. I've been up that climb many, many times IN MY CAR (on the way to Solvang), and I have as yet to see any cyclists. I guess doing it very early is the key. Jeff N.

Steve in SLO
04-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Howzabout:
Gibralter to W Camino Cielo, descending Painted Caves to Old San Marcos Road (both nicely repaved), southeast on Foothill to HWY1/101 to Ventura, then up along 33 to Oak View and Casitas Pass 150, back up to SB?

Much safer than 154, and unless you're a monster, Gibralter to 154 over Figueroa and back will be a little longer than 6 hours...

GuyGadois
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Last week a buddy and I rode the Figueroa double. Up Fig down the other side to Happy Canyon and then back up Happy Canyon and down Fig. The Happy Canyon side is harder. It is over 10 miles of pretty consistent hill with 1 mile of it on dirt. There are two or three stream crossings and lots of rocks on the road. In some ways going down it was tougher then going up it. But, I would rate it as one of the better rides I have done in a long time. Just take it easy going down Happy Canyon and you will be fine. Take lots of water as none is available on the hill.

Two HC rated climbs, 8000 feet of climbing in about 40 miles.

See the profile: http://www.strava.com/rides/88948

Guy

Jack Brunk
04-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Tom B. and Pete have the life. I believe they have named a red wine after both of them in Los Olivas. I'll be trying some tihis coming weekend at Roblar Winery.

Waldo
04-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Amazing. I've been up that climb many, many times IN MY CAR (on the way to Solvang), and I have as yet to see any cyclists. I guess doing it very early is the key. Jeff N.

I've descended 154 into Santa Barbara from the summit to Old San Marcos Rd., then turning off. The shoulder is pretty wide and it's a ~40 mph no-brakes descent -- faster if you have a 53x11 -- so you can almost go at the speed of traffic on that stretch.

You can go up Gibraltar, do Camino Cielo, cross 154, then turn right and descend a road that parallels 154 into Santa Ynez Valley (that was the old stagecoach route over the pass and I believe it's called Stagecoach), where you can putz around forever. I wouldn't recommend riding all the way to Solvang because unless you want to retrace your steps and climb back up Stagecoach (a very nice 3.5-mile climb that's perfect for intervals, incidentally), the only way to get back from Solvang is to ride on Highway 101 for over 30 miles. I've done it at the end of a 6-hour ride and wouldn't do it again. If you retrace your steps from Solvang you're looking at something significantly longer than 6 hours.

There's water available at CDF fire station at the top of San Marcos pass and on that "Stagecoach" road there's a famous burger joint with good food and bad service, where you can get lunch and beverages. Otherwise, services up there are very sparse, so bring at least two bottles. And watch out for the yahoos at Camino Cielo firing ranges.

hairylegs
04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys.

I'm thinking of doing Figueroa up the back side and maybe doing the double...seeing how I feel after. Gonna start in Solvang and tool around as long as I need to! Stagecoach sounds pretty cool - esp if I were to do a point to point, but I hear that Gibraltar has road work? I've been itching to checking out Fig anyway!

Will let you know how it goes...

Cody

hairylegs
05-03-2010, 12:41 PM
OK, ride complete. GNARLY climb! Went up the backside via Happy Canyon. What a tough/hot climb! Great to make it to the top. Major props to you for the double. That's just insane. Maybe in a year or two for me. :)

Thanks again for the tips. What a beautiful ride!

Tom Byrnes
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Tom B. and Pete have the life. I believe they have named a red wine after both of them in Los Olivas. I'll be trying some tihis coming weekend at Roblar Winery.

Jack Brunk has forgotten more about Santa Ynez wines than Pete and I know together. Several years ago, Jack brought five great bottles from five different Santa Ynez wineries to a dinner at the Giro de Bozeman to introduce the rest of us to the Santa Ynez reds. He introduced us to Foxen Winery.

Hairylegs - Congratulations! Figueroa is a spectacular ride! Lots of golden poppies and other wildflowers visible on the way down?

Tom