PDA

View Full Version : I have......an idea.

William
04-24-2010, 01:51 PM
After William the younger's Lacrosse game this morning we've been working in the yard mowing, weed whacking, tilling garden areas etc... Mrs. William informed me that she thinks the yard needs to be aerated. "Hmmm", I thought. I suppose I could buy or rent one to pull behind the tractor.....then the light bulb went on! :D

Those of you that have come to the Rhode Island Ramble the last couple of years know we've got a pretty good sized property. So I'm thinking that I should get a set of spiked Ice Tires for the Effin Cross Bike...and invite anyone one over who has or can put a set on their bike. Then we'll race around the yard for a couple of hours. This could also double as Cross prep for the folks racing this year. A little beer and good food afterward. It's a good idea right?? :confused: It could work.

So, who's in?? :D

William

dave thompson
04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Not enough Tequila Willie. Drink more.

Ahneida Ride
04-24-2010, 04:32 PM
I say we put Mt. Climbing ice cleats on our shoes and do the Monster Mash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSredQLf0Ts&feature=related

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Birddog
04-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Coincidentally, I just finished aerating my suburban sized yard. Wrestling that beast was no fun. Google aerating your particular type of grass before you do this. I don't think cool climate grasses (Fescues, Ryes) need it. I learned among other things that spikes are not as effective as plugs.

Birddog

SEABREEZE
04-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Prefer thatching over aerating, it scores the dirt and removes dead grass.

A little more work, as you have to clean up all the dead grass, but running the mower over the thatch will cut it up into little pieces and feed the soil.

Then a good commercial grade fertilizer, and you are set...

This is how the pros do it.