PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

saab2000
03-24-2005, 06:47 PM
I have a very small, very cool taillight which I can put onto my seatpost for individual rides. It has 3 LEDs and is very visible. Unfortunately it seems to not work any more as it won't really turn on. I can sometimes get a flash from the diodes, but the contact is not happening when I switch it on.

I would like to replace it, but am not finding anything as convenient.

What I like about this one is its small size and the fact that it can be mounted for individual rides without tools.

Does anyone have anything that they can suggest as far as a really neat tail light?

FWIW, last year I got an awesome Cateye headlight with 5 extremely bright LEDs. It is virtually blinding if looked at directly and easily is the best I have seen yet. I am not a big night rider, but occasionally like to get out in marginal light.

Tmogul
03-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey Saab,

There is this cool lighting system there replaces your bar end stops. They are just single blinking leds but what makes them so useful is that they are like 42cm apart. The human eye can better distinguish between two lights blinking than one big one stuck to the seatpost. I've personally seen these working at night and I have to say they work very well and they're lighter than the big seatpost types. I forget where you can get these. Now if you really want to be visible they have those attachments to your presta valve that light up when spinning and basically outlines a wheel at night for cars approaching your three and nine o'clock. These are all secondary to a good light and motion HID light upfront though IMHO. They work awesome. Ofcourse some argue Nightriders are better (HID). Good luck

erty65
03-24-2005, 08:24 PM
http://www.lupine.de/en/produkte/zube.php

Keith A
03-24-2005, 08:25 PM
saab -- This might not be exactly as easy as your current tail light, but the Total Eclipse (http://www.vistalite.com/vistalite_03/03flashers.html) from VistaLite is an awesome light. It has seven LEDs and the two AAA batteries last a long time. It has three light modes: regular flashing, chase flashing and constant. It is really bright and can easily be taken on and off, but the mounting strap stays on the seat post. Even this is easy to take off and on if you wanted to. I think it is worth checking out.

Cateye makes good stuff as well. But I think the compact size and brightness of the Total Eclipse makes it one of the best ones out there.

saab2000
03-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Keith, I will check that one out. It looks to be about exactly what I am looking for. Small, but effective.

Thanks Buddy! I remembered Cateye, but had forgotten about Vistalite.

Keith A
03-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Always happy to help. BTW, I just checked and it is on sale at Nashbar for only $13.

dirtdigger88
03-24-2005, 09:53 PM
I dig the bar end light too- I was thinking about getting some myself- I seem to get caught out late sometime this time of year and dont always have my light with me-

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=101&subcategory=1068&brand=&sku=7629&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

jason

dirtdigger88
03-24-2005, 09:54 PM
come on for 9 bucks you gotta try them

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17651&subcategory_ID=4322

your welcome

Jason

hypnos
03-24-2005, 10:15 PM
How do you replace the batteries in those things once they are installed?

dirtdigger88
03-24-2005, 10:21 PM
you just pull the plug out and replace the battery and pop the plug back in

Jason

Too Tall
03-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Cateye has a small round led light that is completely sealed from the elements and the switch is a "reed" type actuated by passing a small magnet over the face of the light. I keep this in my commuter bag in case my larger light fails. This is also the light I put on my seatpost when I ride in morning or evening hrs. with low light. The light attaches with a small elastic band. It's a wonderful thing.

SL-LD100 = small light with reed switch
TL-LD600 = large light for the "how the fu@& could he NOT see me" effect.

Keith A
03-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Hey DirtMan -- I too like the idea of the bar end lights, but they are only visible for up to 2 km whereas the Total Eclipse can be see for up to 2 miles.

dirtdigger88
03-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Hey DirtMan -- I too like the idea of the bar end lights, but they are only visible for up to 2 km whereas the Total Eclipse can be see for up to 2 miles.

Keith- Like I said before- I like the idea not as a main light but as a back up- there are those times when I go out in the evening with every intention of being back before dark- but I either have a good ride and go longer or a bad ride (flats?) and I end up out as it is getting dark- not so dark that I need a headlight- but dark enough that a small light would be good to get home- this way I dont have to remember to bring my light- I also know a lot of folk use the in the Labor Day nightime race held in my neighborhood- just for affect-

Jason

Keith A
03-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Keith- Like I said before- I like the idea not as a main light but as a back up- there are those times when I go out in the evening with every intention of being back before dark- <snip>Jason
Jason -- Somehow I missed the first part of your statement, it must have been stated on another message thread. I too don't want to be caught without at least a tail light when it gets dark -- which is why I almost always keep my Total Eclipse on my bike. It adds almost no extra weight and it doesn't get in the way at all, so most of my bikes all have one of theses lights on them.

dirtdigger88
03-25-2005, 08:56 AM
I seem to get caught out late sometime this time of year and dont always have my light with me-

no biggie- where I live may also have a lot to do with it- I ride in lot of traffic to get home- ah- urban living- you gotta love it-

jason

Larry D
03-25-2005, 09:31 AM
The bar end plug lights are great. They are very convienent because they are there if you need them. You do not need to remember to take them with you.

For a rear light check out the Blackburn Mars 3.0. It is a 7 LED light. Quite a nifty unit.

http://www.blackburndesign.com/lights.html#quadrant

:banana:

davep
03-25-2005, 10:12 AM
I have tried just about all the lights mentioned. My opinion:

Cat-Eye 5 LCD - great light, best one I've tried. VERY bright and runs for a long time on two AAA batteries.

Total eclipse - good light, but not as bright as the Cat-Eye 5 LCD. Has a belt clip, which I use to mount on the back of my helmet. (Also comes with a seatpost mount.) This get the light up high where it very visible. Its held together by screws, which makes it secure, but also a bit of a pain to change batteries.

Handlebar end lights - I got a pair after I followed someone with them. I though they were very visible and convenient. Unfortunately, I have had two of the lights fall apart on me. But they are cheap so it may be worth it. Batteries are also the small round watch type battery so not as available as AAA.

Ozz
03-25-2005, 10:29 AM
I picked up a Niterider Tailfazer (came in the "combo pack") that is pretty nice and easy to mount. I have it on my seatpost...took about 20 seconds to mount.

The best part is the "cylon eyball" flash mode where the lights chase back and forth....hard to miss! :D