PDA

View Full Version : Fixed-gear trend hasn't caught on in China

fiamme red
04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2250893/pagenum/all/#p2

I think the word "ironic" has been somewhat abused of late. Maybe the author has been reading too much Bike Snob. :rolleyes: :no: :crap:

"Irony also plays a key role, as riders deliberately opt for an expensive, often custom-made ride, with hand-built components, that is less functional than what's available at Wal-Mart. (That is, until March, when even Wal-Mart jumped on the trend.)"

false_Aest
04-22-2010, 02:56 PM
effing brilliant

"His Chinese business partner, Karl Ke, says it's hard to get past China's utilitarian attitude to the bike. While fixed-gear aficionados generally take loving care of their high-end rides, few Chinese bikers see the point: "It's just a tool," Ke said. "You never wash your hammer."

And, he might have added, there's never been much of a market for ironic hammers."

MattTuck
04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Interesting.

As I see it, I'm surprised fixed gear bikes ever caught on here. Having never ridden one (and no desire to start now), it still strikes me as dangerous and possibly reckless to ride them anywhere cars and/or pedestrians are in close proximity to the rider.

Single speed, I understand. Fixed gear, I really don't get it. Perhaps its the irony... like someone smoking because its cool.

fiamme red
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
As I see it, I'm surprised fixed gear bikes ever caught on here. Having never ridden one (and no desire to start now), it still strikes me as dangerous and possibly reckless to ride them anywhere cars and/or pedestrians are in close proximity to the rider.It's not dangerous or reckless, provided that the fixed-gear has a front brake.

MattTuck
04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
It's not dangerous or reckless, provided that the fixed-gear has a front brake.

Agreed.

pbjbike
04-22-2010, 07:17 PM
There are poseurs and then there are skilled fixed gear riders on the road. I had a messenger friend who rode one years ago, before the craze, with no front brake. I'd ride with him if our runs were headed in the same direction. He went through traffic and obstacles, taking the seemingly too small gap between a bus pulling out, and the car right nest to him. Whereas I would brake and wait for a decent gap. I made a bit more dough though, as I could cruise on a road bike going downtown on streets like Second Ave.

boneman
04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
I lived in Shanghai for four years and in 2005, there was only the Trek shop on Fuxing Lu next to the tunnel selling anything other than Flying Pigeon's and the like. Local people consider bikes as transportation and utility vehicles. An upgrade is not a fancier bike but to an electric or gas power bike/scooter and maybe even a motorcycle. A car if you have the money.

My local friends just shake their heads at the what I do. You ride for fun???? Are you crazy????

Not seeing the character the ironic was translated from and the context it was used, it probably is a character that doesn't directly translate and there's a lot of them.

http://www.slate.com/id/2250893/pagenum/all/#p2

I think the word "ironic" has been somewhat abused of late. Maybe the author has been reading too much Bike Snob. :rolleyes: :no: :crap:

"Irony also plays a key role, as riders deliberately opt for an expensive, often custom-made ride, with hand-built components, that is less functional than what's available at Wal-Mart. (That is, until March, when even Wal-Mart jumped on the trend.)"