PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on a vintage bicycle listing

drewski
04-22-2010, 09:08 AM
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik/1703397416.html

Am I asking too much for this bicycle?

572cv
04-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Although the paint on yours looks good, I asked less for what is probably a better bike. Here's my listing on the list here, about the same as what I put in craigslist later.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72774&highlight=Allegro

drewski
04-22-2010, 09:38 AM
3 things stand out in the differance makers.

The Peugeot has hand stiched leather bike grips on Cinelli Bars, Cinelli,
Stem. Also comes with an ultra rare leather on plastic Cinelli Seat.

The Peugeout also has very nice brand new Clement Hand made
Tubular tires in front and back and new cables with very new Mavic GP-4
tubular rims.. I just rode the bike in a 75 mile ride in Florida
with very little training and I managed to come out ahead of
several Carbon bicycle weight weenies. Tubulars are a completely
different realm and they are good ones do not come cheap.

I think the the drive train is about equal in quality. Your bicycle
has a nicer frame.

drewski
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
bell included....

jvp
04-22-2010, 10:16 AM
When I sell on craigslist, I do not use their default picture loader, I copy and paste the html pic link directly from my photobucket account. Pics are larger and clearer, which helps with the sale I think.

Ken Robb
04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Your pix are worthless for generating interest.

Most buyers of classic bikes prefer them with original parts even if they don't work as well as newer stuff.

I think you will get more $$ by parting it out. While it seems that no one wants all of your stuff together I'll bet there are some folks looking for one or two pieces to complete their restoration project. Someone may even be looking for a nice frame to set up with his gruppo of the crummy French stuff like your bike came with.

I love the ride of some fine old bikes. I have a 1981 Nishiki Pro with the original minty Nuovo Record gruppo. It's a great ride but I could make it better by adding a Sugino or TA Zephyr triple, 6800 hubs w/Open Pros, Shimano dual pivots (std. reach like the Campys), DA 9spd shifters, new aero Shimano brake levers, etc. I have all these parts in the garage but-----since I have other bikes I can afford to leave it as is for riding as it was when I was young(er). :)

markie
04-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Your pics are not very helpful and I am not sure what this means?

"Not a fixie conversion worthy bike! "

So it is not good enough to turn into a fixie? That kind of sentences especially the second line in a listing is a bit of a turn off.... But that might just be me.

pbjbike
04-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Pull the bars/stem and saddle and sell them here or on the bay. Replace with good used mid-level parts. List for $350, and be willing to take 300. JMO

Ken Robb
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
wouldn't the wheels/tires be worth at least $200?

JohnHemlock
04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I gotta agree, the picture quality is useless. Not saying you need a velvet drop cloth and strobes but maybe something to make it pop out of the background. Not shadows and dirt, in other words.

dave thompson
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
First, your copy is very good. Second, think official Serotta garage door shot, or something where the background doesn't 'outshine' the item (your bike has to "pop"), then upload that pic to a photo hosting website (I use ImageShack 'cause it's free) then make your ad on craigslist and insert the HTML from the photo hosting site and you can wind up with an eye-catcher like this: http://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/1704828141.html

pdmtong
04-22-2010, 03:07 PM
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik/1703397416.html

Am I asking too much for this bicycle?

If it's not selling and you want to sell it now, yes, you are asking too much.

If it's not selling, and you don't need to sell it now, maybe

If it's selling, and you have an inbox stuffed with replies, you are asking too little.

The intersection of replies and days on market reveal much...then again, craigslist is hit and miss. there are those of us who look every day (me) or just every now and again. I think it all depends on how quickly you want to move it.

I'd agree with other replies in that the buyer for this type of bike is going to be particular, and that narrows the potential market. One way to get folks to jump in who are outside the expected market segement is to lower the price so they can take a flyer. [insert tired discussion on the ottrott/ksyriums for sale in the classifieds here].

retrogrouchy
04-22-2010, 08:17 PM
If it's not selling and you want to sell it now, yes, you are asking too much.

If it's not selling, and you don't need to sell it now, maybe

If it's selling, and you have an inbox stuffed with replies, you are asking too little.

The intersection of replies and days on market reveal much...then again, craigslist is hit and miss. there are those of us who look every day (me) or just every now and again. I think it all depends on how quickly you want to move it.

I'd agree with other replies in that the buyer for this type of bike is going to be particular, and that narrows the potential market. One way to get folks to jump in who are outside the expected market segement is to lower the price so they can take a flyer. [insert tired discussion on the ottrott/ksyriums for sale in the classifieds here].

Good analysis! I would add that CL is not a great place to sell that bike, in my well-seasoned opinion. Take much, much better pics. (many of them, then pick the best), and list it on eBay for a week, ending at about 10 p.m. EST (so 7:00 PST) on a Sunday. Start it at perhaps $200 with no reserve. You may be surprised how high it goes, and right now is peak selling season for nice bikes, btw!

CL is pretty stinky for buying and selling vintage bikes, in my humble opinion. I spend buckets on eBay per year buying vintage bike stuff (among other things, so yes, I'm addicted, but that's a different story!), but haven't ever spent a nickel on CL and likely never will. YMMV. :cool:

retrogrouchy
04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
P.S.

I didn't buy that town in WA that sold recently on eBay, so I'm not really, really addicted, right?