PDA

View Full Version : nybody Watching The Barrett-Jackson Auction?

Bill Bove
01-24-2004, 06:05 PM
It's been on The Speed Channel the last couple of nights. If DBRK collected cars the way he does bikes this would be his dream. I'm partial to Cobra's and Farrari's, especially Dino's.

CIII_bill
01-25-2004, 12:13 AM
I saw an early model ('67-'69) Z/28 Camaro go for over $100k. Yikes!

Redturbo
01-25-2004, 07:01 AM
Ahh, a Dino my fav Fiat, todays mini vans are faster. But, you got to love that F1 screamin motor. I have a buddy in N. CA that had one is storage since new. I was going to buy it until he called me nearly crying. The battery had exploded in it years earlier and it was a mess. Oh well if I would of bought it I would of had to change my name to Silver Dino.

turbo

keno
01-25-2004, 07:23 AM
has a website with all of the results of the auction. They're pushing over 900 cars through there. My favorite is the 1970 Plymouth Superbird that went for $194,000 and change.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=175568

I never even knew such a car existed.

keno

Kevin
01-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Keno,

Believe it or not when I was in high school somebody had the Dodge version of the Plymouth Supercar. It was called a Road Runner and had a Road Runner graphic on the tale from the cartoon of the same name. Just think, some high school kid flipping burgers for $3 per hour and he was driving a $194,000 car. I think he sold the car for a couple of thousand dollars. If he only knew.

Kevin

H.Frank Beshear
01-25-2004, 10:46 AM
I handle the sales for my families construction company, we build residential garages. Some of the toys that have been parked in them are incredible. Muscle cars, Hot Rods and nice classic drivers. My favorite though was a lady in her 70's who was showing me her old garage that needed to be torn down so we could build a new one for her. As she started to open the garage door she say to me "No its not for sale". Strange but I resond ok. As the door opens and this beautiful 1968-9 Firebird formula convertible comes into view she tell that it was her midlife crisis and she had bought it as her 40th birthday present. It looked like it had just come off the showroom, less than 35,000 miles. Sweet, and its still not for sale. But I do check once in a while.:D Frank

Kevin
01-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Frank,

Did you install that "special" garage floor for her? You know, the when where women in their 70's slip, fall, break their hip and sell the car they can no longer drive.

Kevin

dnovo
01-25-2004, 11:25 AM
I used to own a completely restored early '50s Allard J2X, the first British-American hybrid later to reappear in spirit in cars such as the Shelby Cobra (British chassis, US V-8.) 1950 Cadillac OHV V-8, four Stromberg 96s, LaSalle 3-speed trannie, bright red. A beast around a corner, but in a straight line, watch out!

I sold that one off when I got out of 'collectors' cars just before the last bubble burst and made a very tidy profit. Just watched one not near as nice (the green one, mine was red and had better period speed mods) go at BJ for $300,000+.

Vintage bikes are more fun at this stage of my life, and more reasonably priced, but I am getting just a twinge or two. Did you see the price on the 1963 split window Stingray? Wonder what my perfect 1962 triple black Corvette, last of the 'solid axle' Corvettes, with its original 327/340 and T-10 sitting in a crate so I can drive it without worring about blowing up a 42 year old drivetrain and use the ZZ-4 crate motor and new 4-spd plus front discs (so it will stop) is worth? No, that one is a 'forever' car, at least until my son marries and has the first grandchild, when I promised it to him. Dave N.

Bill Bove
01-25-2004, 01:42 PM
That Allerd was sweet! Like I said, I love Cobra's, all shapes and forms, even the 2004 that Carroll himself just turned loose. B-J does another auction here in West Palm Beach later on in March. It is worth the 40 bucks to get in, a friend of mine who has the means may register as a bidder so that we can get some of the perks.:banana: