PDA

View Full Version : Custom bicycles: Full bike or not?

CNY rider
04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Just out of curiosity: When folks here go for a custom bicycle, do you have the builder deliver a complete bicycle, or something like frame/fork/headset, and then handle it yourself from there?
I had my Serotta fully built for me, but I wasn't at a point where I could have built it up myself.
My Mariposa was also fully built but given the intricacies of the bicycle there just isn't any other way.

Maybe builders like David Kirk could also chime in. What percentage of your sales go out as full builds, versus partial or just frame/fork?

Volant
04-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Just frame. If it's a frame/fork, then just that. I enjoy doing the rest myself (lacing wheels, installing headsets and adding components as I get them).

David Kirk
04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Just out of curiosity: When folks here go for a custom bicycle, do you have the builder deliver a complete bicycle, or something like frame/fork/headset, and then handle it yourself from there?
I had my Serotta fully built for me, but I wasn't at a point where I could have built it up myself.
My Mariposa was also fully built but given the intricacies of the bicycle there just isn't any other way.

Maybe builders like David Kirk could also chime in. What percentage of your sales go out as full builds, versus partial or just frame/fork?

yo,

I'd say about 1/2 of my framesets get built up and go out as complete ready to ride bikes and the other 1/2 go out as frame and fork sets.

I think that there is a real advantage and value to buying the complete bike from the builder. The builder should know about what components will fit the frame they made properly and they should also know the proper width/reach/drop bars, stem length, spacer count, crank arm length...etc..... taking some of the guess work out of the equation. In my case I personally build the frame up, test ride it, and pack it. Mine are the only hands that touch it so you can be sure it's done properly and will be truly ready to ride.

It's pretty darn fun to pull a ready to ride bike out of the box, put the bars in the stem and set them as marked, slip the seat post into the frame to the proper mark and screw in the pedals and then hit the road. In most cases it takes longer to remove the bubble wrap from the whole deal that it does to 'assemble' it.

Of course if you have a lightly used kit you want to use that is already paid for then buying a full bike is silly but the builder can give you a very good value and service on a completely built up ride.

Does that help?

dave

Pete Serotta
04-21-2010, 02:32 PM
If you buy from a shop (say a Serotta) I personally would have them spec and build it. They will have done the fitting and also the buildup - so any problem areas can be addressed in short order.

Liberty Cycle-Asheville NC (Mike and Claudia), Cyclesport -Parkridge NJ ( Mike and Jaun), Fitwerx (Ian and Steve)in VT and Signature Cycle - NYC and Conn (Paul Levine). are four shops that I would have build my Serotta.

I have personal experience of many years with the above shops and in no way mean to slight other shops. Folks on the forum can provide excellent recommendations for their area

I know others that buy the frame and they buy via the web to build it up -

There is not one simple answer - If I was buying a Kirk. Ellis, or Bedford I would seriously consider having them build it up. David Kirk was not offering this service when I got my Kirk a few years ago - or he would have done the build also,

Justin Spinelli, Richard Sachs, and Tom Kellogg are others that I would consider a full build from. That is just me and it is not meant to slight any others

My Bedford was fully built up when I bought it but Smiley did his own. For those who know me they will be the first to tell you to keep the wrench away from Pete.

Some builders for frames with fenders, actually either buy them or have the client send them - so it is a perfect tire line and fender attachment. Not all fender are always the same with every batch.

Smiley
04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Have built my own now for a long time. I only sent my wheels and fenders to Kelly Bedford for a perfect fenderline build. I have built up clients bikes now with them helping me and they seem to really enjoy and get satisfaction from the build experiance. I say learn and enjoy how to build your own stuff. Its really not that hard.

Pete Serotta
04-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Have built my own now for a long time. I only sent my wheels and fenders to Kelly Bedford for a perfect fenderline build. I have built up clients bikes now with them helping me and they seem to really enjoy and get satisfaction from the build experiance. I say learn and enjoy how to build your own stuff. Its really not that hard.

unless you are PETE :no: :no:

ergott
04-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Even if I had the builder get me everything to make a complete bike, I would want to assemble it. It just wouldn't feel right for me to let someone else do it.

CNY rider
04-21-2010, 06:35 PM
yo,

I'd say about 1/2 of my framesets get built up and go out as complete ready to ride bikes and the other 1/2 go out as frame and fork sets.

I think that there is a real advantage and value to buying the complete bike from the builder. The builder should know about what components will fit the frame they made properly and they should also know the proper width/reach/drop bars, stem length, spacer count, crank arm length...etc..... taking some of the guess work out of the equation. In my case I personally build the frame up, test ride it, and pack it. Mine are the only hands that touch it so you can be sure it's done properly and will be truly ready to ride.

It's pretty darn fun to pull a ready to ride bike out of the box, put the bars in the stem and set them as marked, slip the seat post into the frame to the proper mark and screw in the pedals and then hit the road. In most cases it takes longer to remove the bubble wrap from the whole deal that it does to 'assemble' it.

Of course if you have a lightly used kit you want to use that is already paid for then buying a full bike is silly but the builder can give you a very good value and service on a completely built up ride.

Does that help?

dave

Good stuff there Dave.
I would have guessed a higher percent of complete builds.
Any bike I am thinking of permanent fenders, I would definitely have the builder put them on.

DaveS
04-21-2010, 07:28 PM
yo,

Does that help?

dave

I had a year old gruppo, and ended up going F/F/HS and stem that the builder recommended, to split the difference. Ended up working well for me...

Jeff N.
04-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Frame/fork only. For me, building up a bike is a labor of love. I wouldn't think of having someone else do the build. Jeff N.

54ny77
04-21-2010, 08:49 PM
that will be the best decision you will ever make, believe me! :crap:

Any bike I am thinking of permanent fenders, I would definitely have the builder put them on.

tylercheung
04-21-2010, 09:12 PM
unless you are PETE :no: :no:

why? what happened the last time? any explosions?

Erik.Lazdins
04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
My upcoming custom will be built up by the builder - its part of the overall experience that particularly resonates with me.

I have built up bikes myself and enjoyed building the honjo equipped rain bike project - but a made to measure is a different bike.