PDA

View Full Version : OT Sushi

rwsaunders
04-21-2010, 05:10 AM
I will admit that I am not usually a fan of eating bait. Spending so much time in Seattle, I do have the good fortune of working with a few folks who have an appreciation for sushi and know where to find the "good stuff".

I have been in Louisville, KY for the past few days and our clients took us out for sushi at Sapporo http://www.sapporojapanese.com. If any of you Forumites hail from the fine town of Louisville or are passing through for work or pleasure, I urge you to visit this restaurant and go for it...yuunaru.

ahumblecycler
04-21-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm a bit confused as to why you referred to sushi as "bait." I would stay away from chef's specials that may include worms, plastic lures, and grass hoppers (although the latter fried or covered chocolate is quite tasty).

As an avid consumer of sushi and sashami, I appreciate "heads up" such this.

Cheers.

hookookadoo
04-21-2010, 06:06 AM
I started eating sushi back in 93-94 when it was very hard to find in North Carolina. 1 or maybe 2 restaurants had it. Despite that fact I recall I became instantly addicted eating sushi maybe 2-3 times a week(hey, I was young and single and had the time!)

Nowadays I travel about 4x a month for normally just an over-nighter. My routine is ALWAYS to seek out the best authentic local sushi place and eat to my heart's content. I really do need to branch out because I am sure I am missing some other good non-Japanese restaurants but old habits are hard to break.

Thanks for the tip for my next trip to Seattle!

Bruce K
04-21-2010, 06:10 AM
There is a VERY good sushi place here in town called Latitude 43 (look at a map :rolleyes: ).

The sushi bar is nestled down in the center of the restaurant with 2 chefs, big pillow to sit on and a wide variety on teh menu.

BK

CNY rider
04-21-2010, 06:16 AM
You might enjoy reading "The Zen of Fish" by Trevor Corson.
Come to Dirtphalt this summer and you're welcome to borrow my copy!

William
04-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Mrs. William turned my on to Sushi a while back and we've been getting it regularly ever since. Kohn's Asian Bistro locally. And, believe it or not, Dave's Marketplace has very fresh and tasty Sushi daily. The only problem I have is that I'm hungry again 20 minutes after eating it. :crap: :)

William

DfCas
04-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Sushi need not contain fish. It is the rice made with vinegar and sugar, that can be formed and rolled with seaweed. It can be plain, veggie, or any meat or fish.

dookie
04-21-2010, 07:55 AM
find yourself a good fishmonger (ought not to be too difficult in seattle) and learn to make it yourself. great fun, and way cheaper.

oh, and you get to increase your gadget count...you'll need rolling mats and a nice japanese blade at the very least.

oldguy00
04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
LOVE it, but the wife doesn't, and it is kind of expensive...

johnnymossville
04-21-2010, 09:57 AM
This reminds me, I gotta get over to the $9 all you can eat sushi buffet for lunch today. It's been a couple weeks!

Dave B
04-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Got turned onto it latst year by the First Lady. What had I been missing! Started to get a bit obsessed with it eating it darn near daily. We both took a Sur la table class in Chicago and now make our own, yet still go out and try different places. we found a great hole in the wall place right by our place and while it can be pricey for the upper scale rolls, it is amazing.

I can tell you that if you get into to it enough to make your own, you really canhave such a blast. We have had sushi parties and learned even more not to mention the fun people have trying to one up each other.

I always thought it would be gross, but good lord it can be such a blast.

one of our first go arounds making it on our own, not presented all that exciting, but hey fun is what counts.

johnnymossville
04-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Got turned onto it latst year by the First Lady....

Looking really good there Mr President! How do you like Sashimi?

dogdriver
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Very nice, Prez.

Yeah, we've been doing our own for several years-- a local sushi bar sells us the raw materials and we take them home...I continue to be amazed at the low cost of DIY-- I can ring up a $50.00 plus bill by myself at a sushi bar; but when I buy for a home party, I usually budget $15.00/person and end up with leftovers and overstuffed friends.

A word to the wise-- buy the rice from the sushi bar-- you can't make it nearly as well yourself unless you already know how.

Dave B
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Looking really good there Mr President! How do you like Sashimi?

Not as much. I love the variety of flavors when there are more things in the roll. Just fish and rice really depends on the flavor of the fish. I have had both great and bad moments with that, so maybe if I had a more consistent experience I would dig it.

I also think people hide behind getting just tempura rolls. You can deep fry darn near anything and it taste decent. Mix it up and be open minded. I have tried things I was sure I wouldn't like and they have becoe some of my favorites.

I can also commenton getting sushi rice from businesses. That I think is one of the trickiest parts, even with a good rice cooker. Too wet, too dry, too hot, etc.

I have even been able to get my 4 year old to try sushi and she is like Mikey, she hates everything!

Cinci Jim
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
My two favorite sushi places I have been to are:

Sushi On the Rock in La Jolla and a little place I have been taken to in Sapporo on Hokkaido.

Sushi On the Rock had a good California vibe but the food on Hokkaido was out of this world!

climbgdh
04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
According to people in the know.... Vancouver has some of the best Sushi in the world. Tojo's is world famous and fantastic (although very expensive)!! You can't walk 1/2 a block anywhere in Vancouver without seeing 2 or 3 sushi joints. I eat it at least once / week. Had never had it before moving here but now love it. Life is good.... :beer:

zott28
04-21-2010, 12:24 PM
In San Francisco there is a sushi restaurant on every corner. Some good some really bad. It is the one meal that we have at least twice a week, and the reason my food budget is depleted every week. It's also a great post ride meal.

My favorites are
Tsunami- happy hour only, half off machi, hand rolls and bottles of sake. It a little too pricey outside of happy hour for me to enjoy.

Osaka (on Castro)- bests rolls in the city.

bozman
04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Got turned onto it latst year by the First Lady. What had I been missing! Started to get a bit obsessed with it eating it darn near daily. We both took a Sur la table class in Chicago and now make our own, yet still go out and try different places. we found a great hole in the wall place right by our place and while it can be pricey for the upper scale rolls, it is amazing.

I can tell you that if you get into to it enough to make your own, you really canhave such a blast. We have had sushi parties and learned even more not to mention the fun people have trying to one up each other.

I always thought it would be gross, but good lord it can be such a blast.

one of our first go arounds making it on our own, not presented all that exciting, but hey fun is what counts.

POTUS,
What is the name of the hole in the wall near your place? My wife's family lives in Southport and when we visit we are always interested in finding some place new to eat.

SEABREEZE
04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
So much for the saying dont eat raw fish, it will give you pin worms in the brain.

I always eat my fish raw, sushi, smooshi or anthing else you want to call it

Actually, I am a Ceviche man...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche

Bob Ross
04-21-2010, 02:26 PM
find yourself a good fishmonger (ought not to be too difficult in seattle) and learn to make it yourself.

20 years ago my parents took the whole extended family on a vacation to Hawaii. My dad, a diehard fisherman, insisted we all spend a day on a boat going after tuna. It turned into a miserable day, replete with some beer-induced seasickness and a lot of unearthed latent dysfunction. And to top it all off, Dad only caught two fish all day, both too small to be worth much of anything

...until he hit upon the idea of DIY sashimi

We bought a knife, some soy sauce, and some wasabi-in-a-tube from the local grocery store. And then sat on the back porch of our rented villa watching the sunset while eating mountains of sashimi that was fresher than anything one could ever possibly find in a restaurant. Like, less than 100 minutes fresh.

And when I say "mountains" I'm not kidding: From two tuna each less than 24" long we managed to carve out a pile of sashimi the size of a watermelon.

Pharkin' awesome experience.

Point Grey
04-21-2010, 02:36 PM
According to people in the know.... Vancouver has some of the best Sushi in the world. Tojo's is world famous and fantastic (although very expensive)!! You can't walk 1/2 a block anywhere in Vancouver without seeing 2 or 3 sushi joints. I eat it at least once / week. Had never had it before moving here but now love it. Life is good.... :beer:

I live in Kits and "The Eatery" has an electic fusion twist to sushi!!! It is a bento box at least once a week for lunch!

sevencyclist
04-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I have eaten Sushi at a lot of places, and my wife's family has a Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles.

The freshest that I have tasted was in the little shops in Tsukiji, Tokyo. The shrimp head was still moving on the table while the amaebi is in my stomach already. Super expensive though, but worth the experience.

My favorite place is Kanoyama in NYC. It used to be Iso when I lived in NYC more than 10 years ago and was fantastic, but the new owner seems to have kicked it up a notch. I try to stop by when I go to NY. http://www.kanoyama.com/

Here is a glossory of some special fish that they have.
http://www.kanoyama.com/fishfacts.php

Dave B
04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
POTUS,
What is the name of the hole in the wall near your place? My wife's family lives in Southport and when we visit we are always interested in finding some place new to eat.

Sure thing. It is up on Alisonville road near 116th street. It is called E-miracle.

If you go I recommend these rolls

Fire (amazing)
Volcano
Crunch
Mafia
Mango
Spider
Crunchy tuna

all of these are at the higher end of their menu, but boy are they worth it. It is never really that busy and they have loads of other great food for kids and folks who don't get into sushi. Hey if you ever are this way, shoot me a pm and I would love to hook up with a forumite.

Chhers

Dave

maunahaole
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
If you like sushi, try poke (pronounced po-kay). Sorta like sushi salad in a bowl, without the rice. This is a basic ahi poke recipe, pretty much a local standard favorite. If you are cutting your own fish, it is a good thing to do with the tiny scraps that might not make it into the rolls and maki pieces. It is by no means a hard and fast rule here, just a starting place. Lots of other styles and kinds of fish (and veg) used in poke as well.

* 4 cups ahi (yellowfin tuna, sashimi grade) diced
* 1/2 cup onion, minced
* 1/4 cup green onion, minced
* 1 cup soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons sesame oil
* Hawaiian salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

This is the most basic recipe for ahi poke, served as a pupu or appetizer at most luaus and Hawaiian dinners.

Season ahi with Hawaiian salt. Add all ingredients, mix well then chill.

bozman
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Sure thing. It is up on Alisonville road near 116th street. It is called E-miracle.

If you go I recommend these rolls

Fire (amazing)
Volcano
Crunch
Mafia
Mango
Spider
Crunchy tuna

all of these are at the higher end of their menu, but boy are they worth it. It is never really that busy and they have loads of other great food for kids and folks who don't get into sushi. Hey if you ever are this way, shoot me a pm and I would love to hook up with a forumite.

Chhers

Dave

Thanks! I will PM you when we are next in Indy.

Dave B
04-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks! I will PM you when we are next in Indy.

Sounds great I know a few decent country road rides and there is a fun little mtb trail up my way off of 96th street. Blue groove kind of stuff, but still fun.

Dave

bluesea
04-22-2010, 07:17 PM
I understand that in Japan they are already planning a special auction on the last Bluefin tuna on Earth. I'm already savin' up and plannin' on gett'en me some a dat bada** Toro.

P.S. In Japan the Hamachi caught on the west side (Sea Of Japan), is considered to be superior to those caught on the east side (Pacific). I've had both many times and can confirm to this preference. Still haven't figured out if it was the mercury content level that made this important culinary difference.