PDA

View Full Version : Sports Optical versus Oakley factory

dekindy
04-20-2010, 09:42 PM
If my prescription is within the range that Oakley specifies for it's lenses, is there any advantage to paying a premium for Sports Optical prescription sunglasses?

Any disadvantage?

It appears that for Oakley the hydrophobic claims are true, the UV protection is 100% for all forms and is not a coating so it will not wear off, and the impact protection is impressive. How does Sports Optical compare?

As you can tell I am leaning towards Oakley, specifically Flak Jacket so that I can get Progressive lenses. I tried some Rudy Project frames today and they were extremely comfortable but none of their frames will accomodate my prescription unless I go to Sports Optical.

EDIT: I just listened to a voice mail and learned that I got the wrong information and Oakley can only do single vision in the Flak Jacket. I assume that is because of my prescription. Rats. It looks like it might be Sports Optical after all. I am really tired of not be able to read anything while cycling or driving.

shaq-d
04-20-2010, 10:34 PM
for the ultra cheap, i highly recommend zenni optical. i got my glasses/shades there and s'all good... about $15 for prescription shades, $5 more for anti-reflection, and $50 for photochromic. now that's a deal.

zennioptical.com

i don't work for'm, but i've saved tons of dough since.

Ken Robb
04-21-2010, 06:15 AM
I have a Revolution 566 frame with progressive lenses. They saved me from buying prescription sunglasses for daily use and driving because they have a secondary frame w/polarized sunglass lenses that snap onto them magnetically.

They don't wrap around as you would probably want for cycling. I also have a pair of cocoons that I wear over my regular glasses for cycling. They vent well enough for me in my low-humidity area and cost about $35.

Youngsters who haven't priced Zeiss progressive lenses w/anti-glare and polished lenses will wonder why we make such a big deal out of this. $586 for a pair of lenses once a year gets my attention so I really don't want to have to buy two if I can avoid it.

benb
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Oakley is tough with which prescriptions they will do but their lenses are unbelievable..

I have 2 pairs of prescription oakleys and I'm going to keep buying them any time I need new sunglasses.. I have never been happier with lenses then with theirs.

One pair of glasses is 3 years old, the other is 1 year old, no scratches on either and I wear them both riding and in general all the time... fantastic polarization, etc.. and I swear they get the prescription more accurate then the local labs.

The price sucks but then again they are no more expensive then "in house" lenses ground at Pearle/Lenscrafters, etc.. at least prescription glasses are eligible to be paid out of a health savings account (tax free).

Bruce K
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I have purchased from Sports Optical for years now and am extremely happy with their expertise, service, and variety of choices.

I had some Oakley M frames that kept cracking where the insert went into the shield so I had sworn off Oakley.

I have to assume they've improved things since then.

I currently am riding transition lenses from Sports Optical in Rudy Project Rydons. No lense changing for overnight charity rides or from early AM rides as the sun comes up or late day rides as the sun goes down.

BK

Charles M
04-21-2010, 12:53 PM
This might be down to what type of glasses you want.

If you want fully framed (or goggle like chunky frames like Oakley Jackets), or will settle for flatter lenses, Oakley do a nice job.

Sports Optical lenses for RX are better...

It's not just the size and shape of the lense but how much of that lense surface still holds your RX... Sports Optical mill a full lense and you can see well out looking round and especially side to side...

Better explanation here:

Sports Optical review (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7985)

"Bret would not share his system with me (nor should he), but he's got a way to have the RX portion of glasses that maintain great clarity across a larger portion of the lens than any other wrap / large coverage glasses I have used.

Most sport glasses are a lot larger than non sport glasses, and they have great clarity in a sweet spot. The glasses I get from Sports Optical have a vision sweet spot substantially larger than most brands’ in house lenses.

In fact on more basic shapes like the Redline Max, virtually the whole damn lens is a sweet spot. My vision is perfect way out into the peripheral range on these that is generally useless on other sport RX glasses (except to block wind and dirt).

That's the big deal here... Sports Optical make a greater portion of the lens more useful."

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/sportsoptic/solarge.jpg

I've used a lot of different things but I've been buying from Sports Optical for the last few years for Bike and Moto stuff...

dekindy
04-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Do Sports Optical lenses have any water/sweat shedding properties like Oakley advertises?

How about impact protection?

Is the UV protection a coating? How durable?

Bruce K
04-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Some have UV coating and some don't, yo have to look at the website.

As for impact resistance, I believe all Brett's stuff is basically bulletproof (not sure if it's really bp but you get my drift).

I don't know about liquid shedding but it hasn't been an issue for me expcept in spin classes or on the trainer where there is no air moving around them.

BK

benb
04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Oakley's prescription lenses don't come with the hydrophobic coating either.. at least they didn't in August when I got my last pair..

It would be great if they added that.

jimp1234
04-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I've been very happy with my progressive Rx Rudy Project Rydons done by Sports Optical. However, I'm curious to know if Oakley does a Progressive prescription in any of their frames? Also I think when I got my Rydons Sports Optical didn't do Oakley frames (or at least not "Radars"). Maybe that's changed?

dekindy
04-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I've been very happy with my progressive Rx Rudy Project Rydons done by Sports Optical. However, I'm curious to know if Oakley does a Progressive prescription in any of their frames? Also I think when I got my Rydons Sports Optical didn't do Oakley frames (or at least not "Radars"). Maybe that's changed?

I am going to check tomorrow and will update about Oakley and Progressive options if any. I discussed many topics with Sports Optical today and I think they now do Oakley. You would have to verify the specific model frame on any manufacture that Sports Optical does before proceeding.

I tried calling Oakley directly today but there is a California law that prevents them from discussing a prescription, even in general terms, on the telephone. Go figure.

dekindy
04-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Oakley rep will be at the optometrist's office tomorrow afternoon so I will call or if possible be there in person to get information and try on frames if they have something that will accomodate my prescription.