PDA

View Full Version : 4/20

gdw
04-20-2010, 08:21 PM
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14920666#axzz0lh2enxEF

I had a years worth of close calls while using the bike for errands today and then made the mistake of riding Flagstaff Mt for an evening workout. Next year I'm using the truck and going running instead of riding.

rugbysecondrow
04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14920666#axzz0lh2enxEF

I had a years worth of close calls while using the bike for errands today and then made the mistake of riding Flagstaff Mt for an evening workout. Next year I'm using the truck and going running instead of riding.

Yep, no road riding for me on 4/20

WadePatton
04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
oh good effing grief anybody knows that a stoned driver goes silly slow and is double cautious.

whilst drunks drop the hammer and fear nothing.

i am told. (actually, i can assure you of the later-not proudly)

(reefer madness still prevails i suppose)

i'm most scared by the chronically late-for-work-on-the-phone-eating-a-muffin and the get-the-damned-kids-home-from-school folks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than any simple stoner.

pbjbike
04-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh, I thought you had a close call...You were just being cautious. If you lived up one of the canyons back in the day, everyday was 4/20/...Boulder is tame now. :beer:

dogdriver
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
i'm most scared by the chronically late-for-work-on-the-phone-eating-a-muffin and the get-the-damned-kids-home-from-school folks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than any simple stoner.

+1

We have a lovely stretch of singletrack on the local hills named Johns 4:20, allegedly owing to the early daily knockoff of the trail crew. I always feel strangely mellow after crossing it...

dimsy
04-20-2010, 10:53 PM
oh good effing grief anybody knows that a stoned driver goes silly slow and is double cautious.

I could assure you of the former-not proudly :P

rockdude
04-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I went to lookout Mt yesterday to do a ride. Got their at 9:15am. As we parked, the car next to use had 4 HS looking kids in it. They were rolling them up. As we were getting our bikes ready, another car of 4 pulled up with smoke coming out the windows. A few minutes later, a suburban pulled up and all the kids in both cars piled into it with joints in mouth and pipes in hand. When we got back to Boulder the traffic was crazy with High kids everywhere.

rugbysecondrow
04-21-2010, 07:56 AM

I read this and I am still trying to discern whether you are serious or joking...maybe a bit of both.

dookie
04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
I read this and I am still trying to discern whether you are serious or joking...maybe a bit of both.

sounds reasonable to me...

67-59
04-21-2010, 08:36 AM

I'm going to guess serious. The drunk and stoned are dangerous to be sure, but in most areas you are FAR more likely to encounter drivers who are distracted by their cell phone, food/drink, kids, etc....

WadePatton
04-21-2010, 11:46 AM
I went to lookout Mt yesterday to do a ride. Got their at 9:15am. As we parked, the car next to use had 4 HS looking kids in it. They were rolling them up. As we were getting our bikes ready, another car of 4 pulled up with smoke coming out the windows. A few minutes later, a suburban pulled up and all the kids in both cars piled into it with joints in mouth and pipes in hand. When we got back to Boulder the traffic was crazy with High kids everywhere.

and (my point to ruby) were these high kids drag racing and burning their tires and shoving and fighting?

no, they were high. (i'll venture an answer)

folks tend to assume that every alteration of consciousness is the same as being drunk on booze. it's not. i'm not advocating one form of intoxication over any other (especially wrt mv operation), but realize that they're not the same thing.

and distracted drivers are far more numerous...when it doubt--head for the trails!

gdw
04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
A**holes are a**holes regardless of the substance they choose to abuse. Several carloads of stoners thought it was cool to almost sideswipe me while yelling profanities and advising me that the road was for cars. Kids like those make up a small percentage of the 10-15,000 who attended CU's festival and turned out to be pretty meek when I caught up to them. The bigger problem is the folks who think that pot makes them more cautious and thus able to drive well. I got cut off several times by cars turning into parking areas and almost broadsided a pickup on the descent. The driver thought it was ok to make a u-turn just below one of the blind hairpin turns and couldn't understand why I wasn't amused by his antics.

As I said in the original post, I'll avoid riding on the road in Boulder, especially on Flagstaff, on 4/20.