PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless vs Wide clincher rims

veloduffer
04-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Anyone compare the difference between a tubeless system vs. something like the HED C2 rims, which allow a wider profile for clinchers?

From what I've read of separate threads, they would seem to similar but would appreciate opinions from those who have ridden both.

I'm leaning toward a set of HED Bastognes but am interested in your thoughts.

thanks.

Pete Serotta
04-20-2010, 01:36 PM
What are you wanting to accomplish with the rims...?

Ride comfort? Puncture resistance?

Pete

Ray
04-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Anyone compare the difference between a tubeless system vs. something like the HED C2 rims, which allow a wider profile for clinchers?

From what I've read of separate threads, they would seem to similar but would appreciate opinions from those who have ridden both.

I'm leaning toward a set of HED Bastognes but am interested in your thoughts.

thanks.
I rode tubeless wheels with 23mm tires inflated to about 95/90 on Sunday. I rode a set of HED Ardennes with a set of Pro Race 25s inflated to the same pressure today. The tires look HUGE on the Ardennes, partially because of the wider rim profile, and partially because compared to a Hutchinson 23, a Michelin 25 IS HUGE! That said, the tubeless were a softer and smoother ride. Som of this was the wheels, more was probably the tires. I've run Vittoria clinchers with 320 tpi which are about as nice as clinchers get on the same HED rims and they feel fast, but much harsher than either of my tubeless wheelsets with the 23 mm Hutchinsons. I inflated those Veloflex tires to about 105/100 though and still pinch flatted once. I couldn't begin to tell you if one is more aero. The handling is superb with both.

Of course you could tempt the gods of having it all and convert a set of HEDs to tubeless! :cool: If you do, let me know how it works out.

-Ray

Waldo
04-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I love the ride of Hed Ardennes. That said, last week I spent an hour (!) on my couch replacing the tires -- removing worn out 24mm Vittoria Evo CX and installing 25mm Michelin Pro Race 2s. I am neither a spaz nor a complete weakling and have no answer why it was so damn tough to remove and mount the tires other than rim size. With a very hilly double century coming up on Saturday, I can't afford to spend 30 minutes of valuable daylight fixing a flat, so back to a Chorus/Open Pro wheelset I go. I can remove 25mm Pro Race 2s from those rims without tire levers.

OtayBW
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I love the ride of Hed Ardennes. That said, last week I spent an hour (!) on my couch replacing the tires -- removing worn out 24mm Vittoria Evo CX and installing 25mm Michelin Pro Race 2s. I am neither a spaz nor a complete weakling and have no answer why it was so damn tough to remove and mount the tires other than rim size. With a very hilly double century coming up on Saturday, I can't afford to spend 30 minutes of valuable daylight fixing a flat, so back to a Chorus/Open Pro wheelset I go. I can remove 25mm Pro Race 2s from those rims without tire levers.
Funny, I just put some new Evo CXs on a set of Ardennes with no problemm so :confused:. On the other hand, I remember that putting a brand new Conti Attack on a Campy Neucleon was one helluva fight. Go figure...

Seott-e
04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
I haven't tried the Tubless road tires yet, But, They are WWWWAAAAAYYY better on a mtn bike. so if it's anything like that then.....

On road bikes at this point nothing beats the ride of a good tubular tire, but maybe the Tubeless will be something like it.

A step better with clinchers is Latex tubes, they are better feeling then the std tubes.

ahumblecycler
04-20-2010, 08:41 PM
@vlad luskin

I have a pair of Bastognes and mounting new tires were a bugger. Roughly 200 miles later, and the tires are adequately stretched. If you can put some miles on the tires before the race than I would think you would be good to go.

I have owned DA tubeless for close to two years and I have yet to try tubeless. Until my Bastognes, the ride was superb, but now I feel them to be harsh compared to the C2. So I am going tubeless once the DA mounted tires are worn.

veloduffer
04-20-2010, 10:29 PM
What are you wanting to accomplish with the rims...?

Ride comfort? Puncture resistance?

Pete

Ride comfort, suppleness. I'm trying to get a ride closer to tubulars without the hassle of stretching and glueing. FWIW I'm 5'11" and about 180 and generally ride with 25mm wide tires on Open Pro rims.

CNY rider
04-21-2010, 06:08 AM
@vlad luskin

I have a pair of Bastognes and mounting new tires were a bugger. Roughly 200 miles later, and the tires are adequately stretched. If you can put some miles on the tires before the race than I would think you would be good to go.

I have owned DA tubeless for close to two years and I have yet to try tubeless. Until my Bastognes, the ride was superb, but now I feel them to be harsh compared to the C2. So I am going tubeless once the DA mounted tires are worn.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you put the tubeless on the DA.
They are unlike any other clinchers I have ridden when paired with the Hutchinson tubeless tires, at just the right air pressure.

CliveDS
04-21-2010, 10:43 AM
I have done reviews on both the wider rim format(American Classic Hurricane) and road tubeless on my blog. Did not exactly do a comparison but my call would be road tubeless over the wide rim format..

vqdriver
04-21-2010, 11:37 AM
on a related note, has anyone tried the stan's tubeless conversion?
how's it ride compared to a rim designed for tubeless? mostly, i'm curious if shooting the wheel full of sealant makes the wheel feel heavy and sluggish or if it leaves a sticky mess inside.

Ray
04-21-2010, 12:01 PM
mostly, i'm curious if shooting the wheel full of sealant makes the wheel feel heavy and sluggish or if it leaves a sticky mess inside.
No. Yes (unless you leave it in there so long it totally dries out and becomes totally ineffective, by which time its really easy to clean out, but it hasn't been doing you any good in there for a while).

-Ray