PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 2011 / BB Power Torque System/ New Power-Shift

dana_e
04-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Googled Campagnolo 2011 and got this PDF in English with some detail

In Campy-speak:

All 2011 Athena, Centaur, and Veloce will have new BB Power Torque System, chich includes new spindle and new bearings (one cup on the left side, one spindle on the right side)

New Power-Shift internal shift mechanism : Simplified assembly. Easy maintenance. One sprocket up-shifting, three spriocket down shifting.

Interesting, First Quick Shift, then what ever they have now, from the information it seems there is a 3rd iteration of mechanism, maybe Quick Shift 2.0.

Also new dual-pivot brakes, no skeleton, Hopefully lighter than the old dual-pivots.

Dave
04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
The new shifters sound like the same kind of downgrade as the old escape shifters - only one shift at a time to smaller cogs. That means you'll be hitting the thumb button 2-3 times after every shift to the small chainring. :(

It will be interesting to see how the left crankarm attaches and how the bearing preload is adjusted. That's the problem that the other brands suffer from - some left crankarms are prone to coming loose and setting the bearing preload is problematic.

Quickshift seems to confuse people. It's merely a reduction in the dead travel from the left finger lever - nothing more. All the current shifters still have it, but it's no longer an advertised feature.

dana_e
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Good thing I got a 2009 pair of Veloce shifters, no value-added mechanism.

Maybe it is Escape Meachanism 2.0/

New Dual Pivots too, hope they are light. Would rather have a light dual-pivot in back, as opposed to a single pivot.

The changes seem to be going back and forth.

Maybe they could make the Chorus brake have bearings instead of bushings.

All my bikes are ten.

Charles M
04-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Ah the same upgrade Shimano did for the new DA in reverse...

dana_e
04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Pez, you mean the new brakes. Smaller dual pivots, right. I suppose crank too.

Thanks, DANA

Matt Barkley
04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Always prefer single-pivot for rear brakes.. Especially for the guys riding around me. So far I am hanging onto my 10-speed. :beer:

Dave
04-21-2010, 07:42 AM
The single pivot rear brake served two purposes - it reduced weight and reduced the braking force so it's much harder to lock up a rear wheel. The downside is more difficult centering of the pads.

A dual pivot for the rear would be fine, but no if it has the same braking power as the front. It still needs to be less powerful, just like the rear brake of every car or motorcycle.

dookie
04-21-2010, 07:52 AM
The new shifters sound like the same kind of downgrade as the old escape shifters - only one shift at a time to smaller cogs. That means you'll be hitting the thumb button 2-3 times after every shift to the small chainring. :(

the two-thumb mash is (er, was) the single greatest thing about a campy drivetrain. have 8/9/10s versions in the stable, no shimano, but on my most recent build i 'made the leap', and i still can't work troubletap consistently.

time to start hoarding (even more)...

dana_e
04-21-2010, 02:48 PM
The Chorus and Record shifters will stay the same, mash away, as long as you run 11

Value add is a theme in the lower groups, but whatever, eventually it will all be 11, I hope

Nice to see Cadel rockin the Campy, and the World Champ jersey/

The new brake is interesting, the new Centaur rear Der. looks promising, supposedly lighter, with the 11 design on the plate.

I always get pumped at the new Campy. Sure has chanegd a lot in few years.

caleb
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Has anyone heard an ETA on the new silver Athena yet? Should we be expecting it this year, or will it be 2011?

dana_e
04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Lots of lookers few comments

what do you guys think?

I think the silver Athena is 2011

Marcusaurelius
04-22-2010, 07:16 PM
I have never understood why there isn't a dual pivot brake in the rear. I have used centaur dual pivot rear brake and a chorus dual pivot rear brake and have never had a problem. I have studiously tried to avoid the single pivot brake but of course there are sometimes no options except switching to shimano or mavic brakes.

I would hope that campagnolo would not return to the silly notion that the lower groups only need to downshift one cog at a time while the upper groups need the more advanced shifting. Stupid.

rbtmcardle
04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I couldnt be happier with my Record and Chorus 10 sp groups, I need to ride more and spend less. I will be hoarding 10sp parts.

StellaBlue
04-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I couldnt be happier with my Record and Chorus 10 sp groups, I need to ride more and spend less. I will be hoarding 10sp parts.

I with you. Not need to change what ain't broke.

d_douglas
04-23-2010, 02:23 AM
I JUST bought an Athena group and my one disappointment was that I had to settle on carbon levers and now they announce an alloy Athena lever for 2011!?!?!

Sh#t! Oh well, live and learn...

oldpotatoe
04-24-2010, 06:54 AM
I JUST bought an Athena group and my one disappointment was that I had to settle on carbon levers and now they announce an alloy Athena lever for 2011!?!?!

Buy Centaur alu levers, convert to 11s....

rockdude
04-24-2010, 07:41 AM

I wish eveyone would quit hoarding and get rid of their old Record/Chorus part and move into the 21st Centry. I have 6 bikes I have to keep running and I need replacement parts. When I have to make the jump to 11 its going to be expensive.

d_douglas
04-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Buy Centaur alu levers, convert to 11s....

I think I'd be better off seeing if someone buys the 2011 group then gets 'carbon envy'. I would rather trade like for like than mess around with changing internals.

Plus, with my skills and the costs of Campy parts, I would be just as well off to buy teh shifters alone. In the end, I will (sadly) just live with the carbon levers (unless someone here takes pity on me!?)

Cheers,

Darren

dana_e
04-26-2010, 04:27 PM
You may end up liking yours (carbon Athena) better when Escape Mechanism 2.0 is deployed to all groups Athena and lower

I mean they jsut changed the internals so that the G-Spring rebuild was not needed. Now they change again. Interesting.

woolly
04-27-2010, 01:22 PM

I just bought an Athena group recently too. Glad I did, as I'd rather have the current shifter internals and Ultra Torque cranks than these changes/downgrades.

dana_e
04-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I have a good stash of the old mech 10 speed shifters

If I went 11 I woudl do the Chorus to stay away from the new value-add shift meachanism

Maybe Escape Mechanism 2.0 will go away just like Escape Mechanism 1.0

or should I say Power-Shift

oldpotatoe
04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
I have a good stash of the old mech 10 speed shifters

If I went 11 I woudl do the Chorus to stay away from the new value-add shift meachanism

Maybe Escape Mechanism 2.0 will go away just like Escape Mechanism 1.0

or should I say Power-Shift

Or maybe it won't be Xenon based innards and will work quite well.

dana_e
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
care to comment on New Campagnolo 2011 products?

sw3759
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
well i'm excited to see the polished Athena ergo levers...and the return of the Athena name in the lineup but that was 2010 news.. :)

Scott

dana_e
07-09-2010, 03:51 PM
looks nice

details at campyonly.com then go to the blog

Ralph
07-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I recently put a daily rider together from a collection of mostly 7 and 8 speed Campy parts, 9/10 Centaur hubs, and made it 9 speed using new Mirage 9 speed levers from Ribble for $89. No escape. I think they shift about same as early 2000's Record and Chorus. No snob appeal, but I think they work just fine. And I have Centaur Ultra's on another bike, so do have something to compare to.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2010, 07:54 AM
the two-thumb mash is (er, was) the single greatest thing about a campy drivetrain. have 8/9/10s versions in the stable, no shimano, but on my most recent build i 'made the leap', and i still can't work troubletap consistently.

time to start hoarding (even more)...

It's for 2011 Centaur and Veloce ONLY...NOT Athena and above..relax...

sram has a ways to go..saw about the 5th sram broken shifter this year and we don't even really sell sram. Best warranty tho..send new one asap, old one in a bag. No small parts, in spite of pre red hype.

Lewym
07-10-2010, 04:30 PM
It's for 2011 Centaur and Veloce ONLY...NOT Athena and above..relax...

so are you saying that the initial report that 2011 Athena would also be deprecated to "Power Shift" is incorrect? :banana:

What about the crankset ("Power Torque" v. Ultra Torque). Any official word from Campy on this? Or still just rumors and innuendo?

Dave
07-10-2010, 05:09 PM
The official info only mentions Centaur and Veloce.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/newsdetail/newsid_160_newscatid_3.jsp