PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Tommasini53
04-19-2010, 10:01 PM
There were many helpful posts on a recent thread about bib shorts.

I have similar issue. I'm looking for new shoes. And I'm curious how much does someone really need to pay for good shoes??

I've been riding in the same pair of Sidi Ergo (pre carbon era) for 5 or 6 years. They have been very nice and durable. I don't mind spending $300 for a pair of very good shoes, but do I need to?

I'm interested in Mavic, Sidi and Specialized

Any input would be great. THanks in advance. :beer:

Louis
04-20-2010, 12:09 AM
My take on shoes is similar to my philosophy on saddles: If you can find a model that works well for you and it costs $50, great, keep using that and be happy. If you find one that works well but it costs $300, pay the money and be happy that you're comfortable. For saddles especially, but also shoes, comfort is by far the most critical factor and price is not even a close second.

Bottom line: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

bluesea
04-20-2010, 12:50 AM
I had the '95 SIDI Genuis (mega) and stuck with SIDI because they work. Upgraded recently to the 6.6, and they still fit just as well or perhaps slightly better. If I do decide to experiment, I'll not do it when I *need* new shoes.

Pete Serotta
04-20-2010, 06:00 AM
The three models you mentioned are very good shoes if they fit. THe Specialized are what I have been using for two years... They fit and have held up wheel... (Yep, got them at Cyclesport from RAMON)

The Mavic look nice and I would like to try a pair. Sidi is my winter shoe and they are like a TIMEX watch - just keep on kicking. I replace the red sole pads about once per year, as well as the cleats.

Bruce K
04-20-2010, 07:57 AM
When my Sidis wear out I am replacing them wtih Specialized.

So far I have replaced the shoes I wear for cyclocross and LOVE the Specialized fit.

Road shoes will follow soon.

Comfort and quality seem equal and price is significantly less.

BTW, I have a medium to "narrowish" foot with a low volume instep.

BK

oldguy00
04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Check out Bont shoes. Really nice, and heat mold-able (the whole shoe, not just the upper like Shimano).

znfdl
04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
I have been riding specialized for about 4 years. The s-works shoes are really nice. I am thinking about trying a pair of the Bont shoes, if they vent as well as the Specialized.

dekindy
04-20-2010, 08:52 AM
The only way that you can tell if shoes fit is to do the following. Go to an LBS that has the most brands and models. Test them by trying them on, standing up, and raising your heels slightly off the floor. Hold this position and note the pressure points and how the bottoms of your feet feel. After doing this with a few models it will become readily apparent which shoe will be the most comfortable. Each shoe has a unique last and some will be comfortable and others will be painful no matter the brand or how much you paid.

My LBS had Diadora, Sidi, Bontrager, and Shimano. Using this simple technique, the cream quickly rises to the top. I was able to purchase a closeout pair of Diadora Speedracer's with complete confidence because they felt just as good as the Sidi's for much less. Maybe they will not last as long, but at Bike Nashbar I was able to pick up a closeout pair of the exact same model year for a 1/3 less than I paid at the LBS. Two nice pairs of shoes for $225. The LBS pair is white with red accents and it goes great with my bike and accessories. I had to settle for black on the second pair. So far the first pair is wearing very well and it seems they will last a long time.

johnnymossville
04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Great advice dekindy I'm going to try that next time.

I just ride what I like the look of/can afford, and put up with the pain if there is any. Luckily my last two pair of shoes fit great and are comfy all day. Diadora/Cannondale, and a pair of Sidi's.

dimsy
04-20-2010, 09:03 AM
for what it's worth, I ride the bontrager RXL road shoes. they're extremely comfortable, very stiff and have a great enclosure system. they retail for $220, but if you've got a good LBS relationship they can be had for around $180.

I'd like to try the Sidi Egro's but my bontragers are still running strong so until they crap out, i'll stick with these. :)

good luck.

p.s. - shoes are one of those things i never mail order (unless i've previously owned them). the fit is so important and i have to have at least a spin around the block with a pair before buying them and not have to deal with returns or waiting. my lbs has been good about that.

snah
04-20-2010, 09:11 AM
All good advice. I've been in Specialized for the past 3 years, Diadora before. Absolutely love the Specialized.

dekindy
04-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Great advice dekindy I'm going to try that next time.

I just ride what I like the look of/can afford, and put up with the pain if there is any. Luckily my last two pair of shoes fit great and are comfy all day. Diadora/Cannondale, and a pair of Sidi's.

Thanks. It worked great for me.

I had tried on several shoes at different places and read about shoes for a couple of weeks. My favorite LBS had the best selection. On a shoe search visit at my favorite LBS my fitter saw me trying on shoes and recommended this technique. My decision was made in short order and I could have saved a lot of time and agony if I had known this up front.

Ironically my fitter had previously purchased an inexpensive pair of shoes that he was initially positive about but eventually had to quit wearing them because they hurt his feet. I guess I benefitted from his mistake or he forgot to follow his own advice or the technique does not work every time. I am glad that it worked for me.

The next time I will be able to compare the last on my existing shoes and know immediately if a particular shoe is even a candidate. Since I got the second pair of shoes if all goes well that will be a very long time from now.

mo3039
04-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Another bit of advice, though it may be obvious -- try on shoes either at the end of the day and/or relatively soon after a ride. What feels good in the morning when you're fresh may not be so great after your feet are swollen a bit. Made that mistake once....that was enough.

mbusa
04-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I just replaced my Sidi Ergo 2's with soem Specialized S-Works. The S-Works are more comfortable and way lighter. I'm a little suspect on the durability but with the cost of a new pair of Ergo 2's if they last half as long then I can get new shinny shoes twice as often!