PDA

View Full Version : Race wheel choice - help needed

GuyGadois
04-19-2010, 06:25 PM
I am signed up to get punished (again) at Cat's Hill crit. This is one tough bugger with a short 22% climb in the middle of the lap that we do 12 times. The pavement on this crit is terrible too. After the hill you scream down the backside at 40-45 MPH getting hammer by the pavement. Last year I had a pair of wheel built that I used spcifically for this race: Mavic CXP33 32 hole 3 cross. They worked great but were a little heavy on the hill.

So, my question is, should I consider riding my Campy Nucleon tubies on this crit? I am a little concerned the lack of spokes will make the wheels more dangerous. The upside is that they are much lighter and the tubies will be less likely to pinch flat. Yet, I can't quite grasp riding wheels in a rough race with so few spokes.

FWIW I am 6'2", 186.

G. Gadois

avalonracing
04-19-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't know if I would use a super light wheel on that course but I just want to say that that race sounds like a blast!

false_Aest
04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Nevermind I just re-read the OP

GuyGadois
04-19-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't know if I would use a super light wheel on that course but I just want to say that that race sounds like a blast!

Unless you drop your chain on the climb (or you are behind that guy)

fogrider
04-20-2010, 01:16 AM
I just rode tinutas creak on a super lightweight carbon wheelset and I would like to say it is just amazing. I don't know that you want to bomb down a rough road on carbon wheels but find the lightest box section 32 spoke rim you can find.

GuyGadois
04-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the advice but what I am looking for is should I choose...

1) My Campy Hub/ CXP33 3x clinchers which are "bombproof" but a wee heavy

or

2) My Campy Nucleons tubies which have far few spokes (20?) and much heavier

Just a bit concerned bombing the Cat's Hill crit on Nucleons.

Guy

ergott
04-20-2010, 04:31 AM
I think the Nucleons can handle it, but I also know that you shouldn't ride anything that you don't have your own 100% confidence in. If you have any misgivings you might not ride as hard with them then go with the clinchers. You will get the results in the race not the wheels so ride what your gut tells you.

Pete Serotta
04-20-2010, 05:57 AM
If the Nucleons and tires are in good shape - use them... The wheel is not fragile.

Also if you break a spoke on either - you are done with the race.

Good luck and let us know how you made out with the race.

PETE

djg
04-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I think that the nucleons are good strong wheels if they're in good shape. I've used mine for cross, if it's any comfort to you. What do you have for tires? The new (320 tpi) vittoria tires are excellent in a 23, which gives you a little more leeway on pressure for rough roads than a 20-22c tire, but they're still light, supple, and grippy.

Mr. Squirrel
04-20-2010, 08:33 AM
a very aerodynamic wheel type is a variable-geometry spoke design that can provide a more optimal airfoil shapes where they are needed within the spinning wheel. a variable depth rim and a fully integrated side-on profile design creates remarkable crosswind air-flow management. the net result is one of the most efficient aerodynamic flow available on an open road capable wheel. this type of design offers not only the better headwind drag numbers, but also dramatic improvements in crosswind drag. these types of wheels can be very light overall, its carbon/epoxy composite, variable depth rim keeps the critical rim rotating mass to a minimum. the result rivals specialty sprint wheels that ignore aerodynamics. also, a low moment of inertia makes the wheel quick-reacting and light-feeling so it won't slow you down on that hill. A low side-profile improves aero wheel handling in crosswinds, and the gap is large so I can easily jump through it.

mr. squirrel