PDA

View Full Version : Habereno feed back

scooter01
03-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Ok here is the deal; I currently have a 15-year-old steel Italian frame bike that I ride in the rain. My Legend doesn't do wet days period :)
I have a chance to but a new Habereno Ti frame and Alpha Sub 3 fork w/Chris king headset in my frame size for cheap (there cheap anyway).

Thus would be my in climate road bike as well as my Mt. climber because the Legend does not have a triple crank, but the Fiorelli does.

Is the Habereno frame worth it or is it or not? All opinions/Advice welcomed.

Maybe I should just put another 500 bucks in the Otrott fund?

Marron
03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Back in '98. I kept it for a year and then sold it when I got my Merckx TI. The buying experience was good and the frame was straight, etc. but it just lacked something for me. The BB was on the high side, which I'm not wild about, and the handling seem much less settled than the Merckx I'm accustomed to. BTW, the Mercxk Ti was also less expensive to boot.

eddief
03-24-2005, 10:23 AM
I believe for recreational riding, you will get 75%-93.5% of the Otrott ride with a ti Haba or most any other ti frameset. The problem is most people are never able to make an apples to apples comparison. This includes me. All I can tell you is that my relatively modestly priced TST ti frame is solid, comfortable, no nonsense riding machine. I've put many a thousand miles on it and have never said, "this bike just doesn't ride as well as the Rex, the Rambouillet or the Kog." It rides a bit differently in terms of road feel, geometry, and visuals, but it rides just fine. No decals or paint to get f'ed up and get pissed about when it leans up against the stucco.

Now if you are really concerned about hard core racing or the money is burning the proverbial hole, you can always spend $5 k more to get the extra 6.5%. Some think it's worth it, I have yet to think so.

Fit is paramount!

bostondrunk
03-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Habs are fine and get good reviews all the time. The problem is the lack of an expensive name/sticker on the frame. If you can deal with that, then you'll likely be happy...<burp>

chrisroph
03-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Good solid no nonsense bike. I have a friend with 2 and he likes them just fine. If it fits, it will make a great rain bike.

Ken Robb
03-24-2005, 12:56 PM
why would you worry about getting a ti bike wet?

bcm119
03-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Like the pepper :)

scooter01
03-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey Ken!
this bike might get your old pedals! My legend just doesn't go in the rain. Not that the legend can't go in the rain I afraid if I dump it. So I am looking at a second bike for the crummy weather days. the Hab here is the potential frame for that purpose. I LOVE the Serotta WAY to much to take it in the rain.

woolly
03-26-2005, 06:58 AM
I really like my Hab, but it's not the stock geometry. I had Mark Hickey replicate my Anvil Chisel, and was very happy with the results. For $1K I got a well-built, sweet riding full-custom Ti road frame. Plus, I feel the customer service that Mark provided was top-notch. My intention was for this to be a "beater version" of my Anvil, for use in the rain, stuff like RAGBRAI, etc. That's what I do use it for, but it turned out nicer than I expected - I think I got an excellent value.

I can't comment on the stock frames' geometry, nor what the assistance would be if you had Mark fit you himself. I had the specs that I wanted, and that's exacty what he delivered.

Come to think of it, a Hab may be an outstanding choice for a cross bike (durable, affordable, well-built, nice-riding), or for the guy that was looking for a big-tire-with fenders canti-equipped second bike.