PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here use a Powertap?

saab2000
03-24-2005, 06:40 AM
I was just browsing through cyclingnews.com and looked at Floyd Landis's bike. He rides with a Powertap, looks like all the time.

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone here use power based training? It never occurred to me before, but now I imagine it might be nice occasionally to see my wattage output from ride to ride.

Anyone use Powertap or SRM on a regular basis? Just curious.

Too Tall
03-24-2005, 06:48 AM
Yes and yes, both. It is quite useful if you are coached, self or otherwise. I can not really justification or utility if you do not race. If you get crazy PM me and I'll chat with you about it. Also, if you use a Powermeter you should use Peaks software.

saab2000
03-24-2005, 06:57 AM
I am not going to get crazy and get something like this. If I could really get back to a reasonable riding schedule I might. Right now, though, I live vicariously through others. My flying schedule and winter have really cut into my riding.

Yesterday we arrived back in Washington with about 1 hour of delay. No matter,though, because it had rained and I don't ride at the moment in the rain. No matter though, because it was too late to ride. So another day lost to weather and job...... :confused:

I would love to get cool stuff like this and I imagine it being useful in my old life when I actually got to ride a lot, but now that I seem to have sold my soul to the devil that is corporate American I have to be satisfied with the occasional 25 or 30 mile ride. A far cry from the old 250-350 miles per week.......

Anyway, I am not going to go crazy, Too Tall, but I am curious about this power measuring stuff. Some people say it is the way to go if a rider is monitoring their training in a systematic way.

keno
03-24-2005, 07:08 AM
I use a Power Tap also. Too Tall made me do it. Whether he likes it or not, he's my coach, and a good one!

Unlike TT, I'm a very occasional racer, but I like using the PT to keep track of what's what.

keno

Dr. Doofus
03-24-2005, 07:35 AM
doof used to be faster when he used the power tap at The Gallery in Normal, IL...they had schaeffer for 50 cents a pint....mmmmmmmm the beer to have when you're having more than one.....

Tom
03-24-2005, 07:36 AM
No, I pour mine from the bottle.

BigDaddySmooth
03-24-2005, 08:12 AM
I've been thinking of getting a Powertap so I can compare it with my older Computrainer and to see what 300 watts really looks like out on the road. But, my military-driven lifestyle is all jacked up. Up at 0500 and home by 7 PM. I watch the toddler until the missus gets home about 8-8:30. I then jump on the computrainer for 25-45 minutes...how pathetic is that? In bed by 10 and the groundhog routine is closed for another day. My goal is to try and ride 2 hours on both Sat/Sun but that hasn't happened yet. When you mentioned Washington, I was thinking state but then you stated 1 hour delay so it has to be DC. I'm stationed at Andrews and haven't really found any good riding areas. Oh, how I miss Utah!

Too Tall
03-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Training using watts is very good as a tool. Without a keen understanding of HR / RPE and why/how training levels are affected by various factors Watts without a doubt trumps HR monitor and HR Zones. *Don't make me argue this point please.

Wattage is not the only tool depending on your needs HR can be used to validate a training regime. HR used with direct and frequent lactate testing is excellent. Ultimately both watts and HR/lactate testing reach the same place however methods are WAY different and both have appropriate usage for different kinds of athletes.

If interested, read some about what's up with Lactate testing and setting training levels and tell me what you think. I am not about to run out and buy a test kit however we can all learn some very good points from this by paying attention ,for instance, to how important it is to not overreach (tested) training levels and why you need to test on a regular basis.

The more you know it seems the simpler this 'chit gets and I am constantly reminded of sage advice "the crusty old guys" taught me when I started riding.

http://www.fact-canada.com/

Chris
03-24-2005, 08:36 AM
I train by my own meticulously devised and anecdotally (sp?) validated scale of the seven levels of intestinal discomfort.

Too Tall
03-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Saab - My hero Magnus B. was recently quoted trashing his personal use of powermeters. How's that for "Fair and Balanced" reporting ;)
============================

"I moved to Wales (to be with wife), worked hard in the off-season and
lived in Belgium in the season and ditched all these training programs
and got back to what I did when I started racing. I went back to basics
and did that sort of training again. That's when things started to turn
around. Big, long miles, lots of hours on the bike - that's what works
best for me. At Crédit Agricole, I started using the SRMs, doing all
kinds of controlled training, hitting thresholds, intervals, all that.
Instead, I went back to what my body told me, not an SRM or some
monitor. I took every single piece of equipment off my bike and I just
went back to what my body told me."

(Here is the link to the full article:
http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/7735.0.html)