PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting A Headset with an F2 Fork

Peter P.
04-17-2010, 03:29 PM
My buddy has a Serotta Colorado III with an F2/Reynolds Ouzo Pro carbon steered fork. I can't pull the slack out of the headset. Yeah; I loosened the stem. I think the issue is the funky steerer insert.

I can't figure out what's holding the insert into the steerer, but I can tap it and drive it further down the steerer. This doesn't seem right. I thought it might be bottoming out against the top cap, which has a tapered extension which inserts into the insert. The top cap is NOT bottoming out on the stem, either.

Any suggestions on how to remove the insert, or how to keep it from slipping? Any ideas why I can't pull the slack out of the headset?

TAW
04-17-2010, 04:17 PM
You've probably already tried this, but that insert looks like one that tightens with an 5mm allen wrench.

Mike748
04-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Here's what's going on. You've unscrewed the bolt from the lower taper cone that expands the piece you see down in the fork to clamp it tight. Try invering the frame and screwing the top cap back in just enough to engage that cone. Then pull the whole assembly out. It will be a little snug as there is an o-ring surrounding the expander. Once you've got it out read the install instructions on the Reynolds website and it will all make sense. You use a 5mm hex to expand the compression plug to lock it in place, and then a 6mm to screw the black top cap down and preload the bearings.

Here's what the complete compression plug looks like, you've got the top half only out.

Peter P.
04-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks all, for the help!

First, the instructions were hard to download. Typically I could click on the file and Safari would automatically open the PDF file. It would constantly hang up after 1/3-1/2 of the download. Same with Firefox. I had to Save the file to disc instead, then open it. Hope this helps others that may have the same problem.

Next, there's a bit of confusion on my part regarding the instructions-they talk about "unscrewing the top cap until the threads are showing" but I don't know whether that means the threads of the 5mm bolt or the tapered insert. I wound up screwing the tapered insert completely into the top cap. I then inserted the 5mm bolt into the expander until just shy of spreading the fingers of it.

I cleaned the interior of the steerer with alcohol to provide a good grip.

Then I slid the entire assembly into the steerer until the top cap was flush with the stem, and tightened the 5mm until it was solidly purchased in the steerer. Last, I tightened the 6mm bolt to preload the bearings.

The instructions were a great help! Once I understood how it worked and what I was trying to achieve, they made sense. Thanks again.

Mike748
04-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I tried to position the expanding portion in the area of the stem clamp.

Peter P.
04-18-2010, 06:45 AM
I tried to position the expanding portion in the area of the stem clamp.

While I know the rules about this, I wasn't paying attention and only later realized the shop that set up the bike clearly put too many spacers under the stem, exceeding what is typically the norm, so it's likely the expander is NOT within the area of the stem. I'll have to measure and correct this next time I get my hands on this bike. Thanks for pointing this out.

Mike748
04-18-2010, 08:00 AM
unless the spacers are above the stem it will be ok