PDA

View Full Version : NE Velodrome

overmyhead
04-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Does anyone have any info on the NE Velodrome? I read something about a change in management and the website is down.
Has anyone ever been there?
If anyone has a phone # for them that would be great.
Thanks all.

Bruce K
04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
It is my understanding that the new ownership is related to Cycle Loft.

I have heard stories, rumors, etc. about how the change occured but it is sort if irelevant at this point.

You might try checking the Cycle Loft or NEBC web sites to see if there is more info there.

My only experience was at a 'cross race there.

BK

MattTuck
04-15-2010, 06:19 PM
seems to explain it. (http://www.603sports.com/newsroom/20-manufacturers-news/2199-hostile-takeover-of-ne-velodrome)

dnades
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Nice link. Tells one side of the story but aceing out the group that built up the velodrome doesn't seem like a good way to "take it to the next level". Bad business move in my opinion. Kind of reminds me of all the hoopla around Michael Ball and Rock Racing. Just because you can do it in the business world doesn't mean you should.

overmyhead
04-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the updates. If these are the facts it seems like blasphemy to patronize the Cycle Loft operation. I'm always disappointed to see good people with noble intentions screwed over - especially within the cycling community. I guess I'm naive but I like to think that the "united by a common interest" ideal carries some weight.

overmyhead
04-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Here is the link to Cycle Loft with Velodrome information and further links.
http://cycleloft.com/

learlove
04-16-2010, 08:34 PM
is this the track that is just south of the MHT airport. (on the approach end id RWY35)?

Bruce K
04-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Could be.

Londonderry is SSE of MHT.

BK

1centaur
04-17-2010, 09:15 AM
A Word from the CEO

In response to last week's transition at the Londonderry Track in NH, I would like to assure everyone that we are planning to have a full season of training, racing and development programs for all ages and skill levels, including children and juniors. When the opportunity arose to lease the Velodrome property, I embraced the chance to enhance the offerings and build upon what Mr. Eberhardt began some 5 years ago. I understand that change can be uncomfortable, because it presents us with the unknown; I also know that with our resources, and the experience of Kurt Begemann as Track Director, we can exact a positive effect on Cycling in New England. There is a lot more than meets the eye here; unfortunately I am not at liberty to discuss many of the details for several reasons. Rest assured that we understand peoples' concerns, and are happy to speak with you more offline. The new Northeast Velodrome website will be up and running in a few short days. There you will see information about our upcoming Track Clinic, the training and racing schedules for the year, and other pertinent information about the Track. We hope to see you soon-it's going to be a great season. Please feel free to email me anytime.

Thank you,

Jeff Palter, CEO, Northeast Velodrome

overmyhead
04-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for weighing in Jeff. In the end I realize that buisness is buisness and whatever has (or has not) occurred behind the scenes is water under the bridge as long as the facility moves in a positive direction for the cycling community. I guess that each of us must weigh our own thoughts on the matter and act as we see fit. The fact is, the Northeast Velodrome is the only facility in the area and if anyone wants to try riding a track, they have to go there. Here's hoping that the facility does go in a direction that benefits us all in the long run.

Climb01742
04-18-2010, 10:24 AM
FWIW, i've talked to kurt begemann a few times about his vision for bringing a true, european style track experience and facility to new england. motives are rarely simple but i can say this: kurt brings a real and deep passion for what a velodrome could be for riders of all ages and abilities. when we spoke, he was pursuing it from a different angle but perhaps, with the economy being what it is, this route was the only viable one. seeing the sausage being made is never pretty but let's hope this ends up working out well for everyone.

jlwdm
04-18-2010, 12:45 PM
The letter from the prior management was pretty pathetic. I am sure they are upset but step back and lose the emotion before you write the letter. Sounds like an underfunded operation if they were out lining up grants and sponsors but did not have the track tied up. Not the way to run a business.

Jeff

Ti Designs
04-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Understanding this means knowing the players:

First there's Toni, who started NE Velodrome 5 years ago. Tony is the guy who does things from the heart, his starting goal was to bring track racing to the community, this grew to include BMX and cyclocross. It was a labor of love for Toni and the army of volunteers he put together to get the work done. I learned of the track program from Mark Bowen, and NEBC rider who helped out at the track, raced, and shared Toni's vision of a strong cycling community built around this track. They were doing it for the community, there was no reason for them to think that anyone was going to obtain the lease and boot them out. Nobody in the cycling community wants Toni out of there, he was the driving force behind a 5 year transformation of what was an unwanted plot of land in NH.

Then there's Kurt. I have a lot of respect for Kurt as a racer and coach, I have no doubt that his heart is in the right place in this track project - he had run a track program in Carolina, he wants to return to what he knows and loves. I don't know this for fact, but I don't see Kurt getting the same sort of work done as Toni, so the trade-off was probably a bad one for the track.

Jeff is for lack of a better term, a schmuk, who has very few friends left in the bike industry. The track to him was something he wanted for himself, so he went behind toni's back in obtaining the lease. The only thing gained here is Jeff's ability to go up and use the track any time he wants, which is exactly what he's been doing. He's managed to piss off most of the cycling community in this move, even the team that his shop sponsors is distancing themselves. On Saturday morning there is a ride that was called the Cycle Loft ride 'cause it meets in the parking lot across from Jeff's shop. Now they tell people they meet in the parking lot of Panera Bread. It's the same parking lot...

In cycling there are decisions which shoot the community in the collective foot, this was one of them. Years back there was a large group ride leaving from Belmont at 9:00am on Saturdays. Then the BRC boys decided to ride at 8:00, and other groups did their own thing. The end result was there's no large ride any more and riders don't learn how to ride in large groups, and race tactics are never learned. It's a bad decision for the racing community. Jeff's decision was far worse. The track had support from most of the shops in the area, WheelWorks, Cambridge Bike (which also opened a track specific shop), even Cycle Loft was on the list of sponsors. It was a community united in the effort to get people into track riding. Jeff's actions divided that, there are some who will continue to use the track, there are those who would like to see Toni start up a program in the Boston area.

The bottom line is that New England track racing suffered as a result of Jeff's move.