PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for Removing Brake Pads

jblande
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
When you can't get a pair out, what tricks do you use?

:confused:

I and they are presently stuck. Just looking for some ideas...

wasfast
04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
You didn't state Shimano or Campy. Shimano has a small phillips head screw that you back out and then pull the pad out. Campy has more interference but no retaining screw. I usually take the holder off with the pad in it, clamp the brake block portion in a vice and tap the holder off with a block of maple and a small hammer.

Reinstallation of Campy is helped some with soapy water.

weisan
04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Look here, it might give you some ideas...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=68658&highlight=brake+pad

jblande
04-15-2010, 02:31 PM
sorry, i meant campy

David Kirk
04-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Remove the retaining pins, ride backward very quickly and then slam on the brakes.

Then go back and look around on the road for your pads.

Glad I could help.

Dave

dsb
04-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Just did this yesterday...
'05 Chorus ...

Front:
With the wheel off, I rubber band the front brake lever to give clearance from the fork. I grabbed the pad at the back with needle nose pliers and pulled the pads out. I used rubbing alcohol on the new pads and pulled them in from the front...

Rear:
Released the quick release at the lever and did the same as on the front. Didn't remove the wheel...

Took longer to type this than to do the brake pads ...

If the pads don't want to slide out, you can use the pliers and twist the pad to the inside...

FWIW, I'm using Swiss Stop pads, and I seem to remember the stock Campy pads being a little stubborn, but the twist method should work...

HTH,
Dave

cmg
04-16-2010, 08:20 AM
similar to Kirk's idea, switched the pads so that the opening is in the direction of wheelspin. Went around the block hitting the brakes a few times, pads slipped out of the holders.