PDA

View Full Version : Riding a bike with a dog

audiisaac
04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
I have been thinking about getting a dog for a while and now have the opportunity to adopt a Chocolate Lab from some friends who just don't have the time necessary for her. My question is does anyone here ride with their dogs? I can take the dog to work with me (3-4 miles each way). I dont want to give up commuting by bike and feel that the extra exercise would be a benefit. Any thoughts or tips?

thanks!

1centaur
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
I think it's a bad idea. Leash - disaster (and I count those spring things - they only lessen the potential for disaster). Relying on training to control an unleashed dog along a commute - problems you cannot begin to foresee, because the distractions will frequently be different. What would he do if another cyclist came up behind you and talked to you - would he protect you, be jealous of you? What if he sees a squirrel across the road - no problem ever? I have ridden (on a quiet road) between a rider on one side of the road and a dog on my side (I was going the opposite direction) and worried that getting between the two would be a problem. Dogs don't stay in straight lines, they move off their line as they trot. The potential problems go on forever.

Quiet road all by yourself and a highly trained dog maybe. A general plan for anything with real traffic? Ouch.

thegunner
04-14-2010, 06:05 PM
difficult to say the least, my dog likes to stray left and right and i can see this ending in disaster

Louis
04-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I love animals and would never suggest that someone not adopt a dog, especially one that is perhaps not in an ideal home, but I don't think one should expect a dog to be a very good cycling companion over any reasonable distance unless you want to either ride very slowly or take him/her along in a trailer.

I'm not sure how fast a lab can run, but over 3-4 miles I can't imagine that one can keep up with a cyclist.

That said, please do adopt - pets are great. Maybe you can go home at lunch so she would not be alone all day?

Good Luck
Louis

dogdriver
04-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Probably not a good idea for the dog's sake, especially a Lab. They're built for the slow trot, but trying to keep up with a bike on pavement is probably beyond them. Plus, the standard Lab is so freakin' loyal and brainless that he'd probably die trying to keep up with you.

I have buds who take their dogs (usually those 30-40 pound Fido- looking mutts) with them on technical mtb rides (read-- the bike is going slow both up and down so the dog can go its own pace, sniff, chase small animals, and otherwise do dog stuff), and the dog seems to do fine. Get on a fire road or pavement, however, and the dog doesn't stand a chance.

My $.02, Chris

pdmtong
04-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I used to "run" my malamute (95#'s) on leash with my bike.

coupla things.
I would NEVER use on of those spring leash holder things.
I always held the leash in my hand and rode one handed. Never sandwiched the leash between palm and handlebar
She was so big that the occassional tugging induced a rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder.
Once i was riding and she stopped suddenly. it felt like someone had thrown a boat anchor out and I got helicoptered. I swear i was horizontal 4' in the air for atleast 3 seconds...and then I hit the deck. ouch
I would bring a plastic take out tub to be used as a water dish.
Runing too much on asphalt may hurt the dogs joints. on asphalt we always fast trotted. On dirt or sidewalk median I let her wind up.
As for speed, we're taling 6-8mph .... nice exercise but not real riding

cp43
04-14-2010, 07:30 PM
For a 3-4 mile commute you could walk it with the dog. More relaxing for you and easier on the dog. At a brisk walk it'd be ~an hour. It'd take longer than biking, but your dog will love you for it :)

Chris

Dekonick
04-14-2010, 08:51 PM
For a 3-4 mile commute you could walk it with the dog. More relaxing for you and easier on the dog. At a brisk walk it'd be ~an hour. It'd take longer than biking, but your dog will love you for it :)

Chris

+1

What he said. I really do not like jogging, but do it anyway. I find it much more of an enjoyable experience when my mutt is running to my right on my heel.

For such a short commute, I would just jog and take the mutt with me. :banana:

ckamp
04-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I was riding today and caught up to a gentleman riding at about 17-18mph with his dog running next to him on a leash. I spoke with him for a bit and took off. The dog sped up and tried to keep up with me, pulling the owner on the bike. I was very surprised how fast it was on the pavement.

Looked like he was having a good time. :)

EddieBirdsell
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM
As the commute is only 3-4 miles, what about a slow roll on a beach cruiser? The dog could trot, you could have better control over the dog, and you'd be able to put a foot down while staying seated on the saddle.

Lifelover
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Very doable if you are willing to ride under 8 MPH. I watch dogs and often ride with a young Whoodle. He is very well built for running but anything beyond 8 MPH for that distance and he would not really enjoy it. I'm sure he could learn to do it. But don't think it would be all that much fun for either of you.

Go slow and enjoy the ride or walk.

Louis
04-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I was riding today and caught up to a gentleman riding at about 17-18mph with his dog running next to him on a leash. I spoke with him for a bit and took off.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of dog was it?

Did he mention how far they typically go?

That's very impressive.

Louis

Ken Robb
04-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I had a lab bitch that was one of the BEST dogs I have ever known. I took her mtn.biking a couple of times but NEVER would have tried riding with her in traffic. A 3 mile walk/jog would be great. Labs are still somewhat puppy-like for 3 years or so. Get her.

chuckred
04-15-2010, 12:15 AM
I often see people out training their sled dogs - I always joke that I'd be glad to let them pull me up the hill for exercise.

I had a roomate in college who had a one eyed lab. That dog loved to run, and could easily keep up with a bike on a leisurely ride. Only problem, if you were on your bike on his blind side, it could be a real problem to make a turn he wasn't expecting (the look on his face as I was picking myself off the ground after he took the bike out from under me was priceless!).

From what I've seen, a lab should have no problem keeping up with a mountain bike on trails. On the road, I thinki t's a different story.

SEABREEZE
04-15-2010, 01:08 AM
I had a trail cut out apprx 10 acres on my property, my dogs would run with me.

I understand the benefits and joy of having your dog run with you while you ride

Would I do this on public streets or roads, absolutely not.

All it takes is one tug, and both you and your pooch can be in serious trouble.

Beleive me I tried it, just not worth the risk.

William
04-15-2010, 05:03 AM
I had a roommate in college who had a Choc Lab. Great dogs btw. He would have loved to come along on a ride, but has been mentioned, too many distractions, plus, they're heavy enough to pull you off your bike with a quick direction change. I wouldn't try it. I would use other ways to get him the exercise he needs.

A side note:
My roommate used to leave the sliding glass door to the back yard open all the time so that Bear could come in and out as he pleased. I was in the living room changing out a tire on one of my Campy Omegas and he would keep coming in with one of his toys, drop it at my feet, and give me the "Play with me" look. I would pick it up and throw it out the door and he was off after it...then right back again. Over and over and over. :) I finally grabbed the old Conti and threw it out into the back yard and he chased it out. This time he didn't come back in. So after about ten minutes I finished up the change over and went out back. He was having a blast grabbing that tire, throwing it up into the air, and chasing it as it rolled across the yard. Lots of fun to watch. That became a ritual every time I came home from classes.

William

Ozz
04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
you could put the dog in a trailer....I saw guy doing that while riding Tour de Blast a couple years ago.

Not much exercise for the dog, but pretty good for you.

ckamp
04-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of dog was it?
Did he mention how far they typically go?
That's very impressive.
Louis
Unfortunately I don't know my dogs, but it was white with brown spots and brown patches. He said they go for a 'quite a wile', he didn't tell me a distance though.

xjoex
04-15-2010, 07:36 PM
My chocolate lab is awesome.

But I don't ride with him on trails. Once a week we do some intervals in a field, but I just don't think its safe to ride trails with a pooch.

But you could get a trailer and bring it to work! That'd be really cool.

-Joe

zap
04-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I have been thinking about getting a dog for a while and now have the opportunity to adopt a Chocolate Lab from some friends who just don't have the time necessary for her. My question is does anyone here ride with their dogs? I can take the dog to work with me (3-4 miles each way). I dont want to give up commuting by bike and feel that the extra exercise would be a benefit. Any thoughts or tips?

thanks!

As posted earlier, trailer is best.

It's great that you can take a dog to work but running with you while you are riding is a no-no not to mention 3-4 miles on roads is just too much for any dogs.

During breaks at the office, go for a walk.

audiisaac
04-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I think that a trailer is at the top of my list for transportation options for me and the pooch. I figured that if I rode with her I would be cutting my speed down by half or more which would be ok. I just that thought that it would be a good opportunity to give her some extra exercise.

Ken Robb
04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I think that a trailer is at the top of my list for transportation options for me and the pooch. I figured that if I rode with her I would be cutting my speed down by half or more which would be ok. I just that thought that it would be a good opportunity to give her some extra exercise.

With only 3 miles to commute I'd say walk or jog with the dog. The "cross-training" would be good for you both and you wouldn't have to mess with buying a trailer, rigging it to ride, storing it at work, etc.

OTOH if you think you want to ride the trailer with your dog all over frequently the cost/benefit ratio changes. Either way, get that dog. :)

eddief
04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
consider the possibility of getting sued by your dog if you get in an accident.

Geoff
04-16-2010, 11:02 AM
I dont currently have a pooch, but I rode with my dog (vizsla) for 14 good years. I never used a leash, just trianed him to heal to the bike on side walk or roads. On the MTB he would run in front of me about 20 feet or so and after getting hit once (he was fine) for stopping in the middle of the trail he always moved off the trail after that to stop. After about 20 miles he would generaly run just behind me until we got home. We could go up to about 30 miles on trials when the weather was good. I did not do much road riding with him but I would ease him into it as I think it would be hard on his foot pads initially. As for speed on trails he could keep up at 12-14 all day, pavement he could run at 18 for at least the 2-3 mles it took to get to the trail head.

Remember you do have to bring him water too. I always tried to stop at a creek or pond so he could swim.

Man... now I want another dog!

Geoff

toasttoast
04-17-2010, 12:46 AM
you could put the dog in a trailer....I saw guy doing that while riding Tour de Blast a couple years ago.

Not much exercise for the dog, but pretty good for you.

i do this with my papillon/rat terrier :)

i don't know if the OP is much of a commuter, but once you have a trailer... you think of all sorts of fun things to carry around :)

+1 for trailer
+1,000 for dogs!

slowandsteady
04-17-2010, 03:30 PM
...I watch dogs and often ride with a young Whoodle.

ummmm, did no one catch this but what the heck is a WHOODLE?!?!?!?

Don't tell me its a Whippet/Poodle mix - that's just wrong :no:

Ken Robb
04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Mom was a poodle but the act was not witnessed. :)

NHAero
04-17-2010, 04:08 PM
My sweetie has one of these: http://www.biketowleash.com
I was worried about it being dangerous and indeed she has gone over twice when the dog headed towards the bike when she saw another dog. She's a rescue pup, a mix that they think has Aussie cattle dog in her, and so still not very trained (I'm used to a very well-mannered Sheltie :-). She's very strong and can pull. It's good to have a proper harness that fits the dog and lets her pull from her body rather than her neck. They use this rig on back country roads here in NH, not somewhere there is traffic.

Jangles13
04-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I often see people out training their sled dogs - I always joke that I'd be glad to let them pull me up the hill for exercise.

I had a non-sledding Siberian that I took XC'ing. She stayed on the leash and could run as fast as I could go; seemingly forever. Indeed, she could also haul me up hills if I freewheeled - balancing was odd being pulled by one arm, but other than that...

n k
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/nk406/Picture3.png

Burley makes a dog-specific trailer (not the one pictured here)