PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Record Ergolevers Vintage

steveo
04-14-2010, 12:15 PM
So, I'm thinking about upgrading my current circa '06 carbon Chorus levers to Record but I'm a bit confused as to the years/vintage/versions of the Ergo levers, with labels like 10speed, Ultra, QS, 10 Ultra/Ultra QS, red print, Carbon BB system, etc.

I have some clue as to what QS is (front der quick shift...whatever that means)...

Could someone break down the years/labels/functions? Is it worth going "Ultra" or "QS"? What exactly is "Ultra?" etc etc etc

Thanks!

-Steve

John M
04-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I think you have no need to "upgrade" from what you have. You will save a few grams in the levers, but doubtful that you would notice any performance difference.

If your 2006 levers are getting a little mushy with their shifts, a rebuild and new hoods will make you as good as new.

steveo
04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Whether I do upgrade or not...I'd still like to understand what seems to be a mess of names/functions/etc. :banana:

dana_e
04-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I have all the Campy caralogs in PDF

I just look them up and compare

can send your way if you can handle size

or post a pic and I can look them up for you.

D

oldpotatoe
04-15-2010, 07:44 AM
So, I'm thinking about upgrading my current circa '06 carbon Chorus levers to Record but I'm a bit confused as to the years/vintage/versions of the Ergo levers, with labels like 10speed, Ultra, QS, 10 Ultra/Ultra QS, red print, Carbon BB system, etc.

I have some clue as to what QS is (front der quick shift...whatever that means)...

Could someone break down the years/labels/functions? Is it worth going "Ultra" or "QS"? What exactly is "Ultra?" etc etc etc

Thanks!

-Steve

'Ultra' meant for Record they changed the spring carrier to a fiber/plastic type one and the shift disc was drilled for lighter weight and has a teflon type coating. 'QS' for Record and Chorus essentially means nothing and does not require 'QS front ders..again, for Record and Chorus.

dana_e
04-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Do you like the old shifters that needed to have G springs replaced (as fas as shifting actio/fel)

or do you think the new ones are better, with the new mechanism?

weiwentg
03-10-2012, 06:11 AM
'Ultra' meant for Record they changed the spring carrier to a fiber/plastic type one and the shift disc was drilled for lighter weight and has a teflon type coating. 'QS' for Record and Chorus essentially means nothing and does not require 'QS front ders..again, for Record and Chorus.

Piggybacking: is it possible to use the pre-QS shifters with post 2010 front derailleurs?

oldpotatoe
03-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Piggybacking: is it possible to use the pre-QS shifters with post 2010 front derailleurs?

Yes. You can essentially use any FD, even some not from Campagnolo with

-1992 thru 2006 Any ERGO
-2007/8 Record and Chorus(Centaur. Veloce and Xenon need a 'QS' FD)
-2009-2010 any ERGO but Xenon(Xenon need a QS FD)
-2011/2 SR/Record/Chorus(Athena/Centaur/Veloce/Xenon need a QS FD)

Marcusaurelius
03-10-2012, 11:40 AM
All the shifters should work with campagnolo triple (comp) front derailleur just in case you want to try a triple.

I have however just tried the triple it with pre 2006 campagnolo shifters I'm not sure how well the 2012 veloce/centaur will work (good I hope).