PDA

View Full Version : Wrenching Question - v-brakes

MattTuck
04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
In a rare departure from my usual threads, this one is actually about fixing a bike.

My wife (and her friends) are watching Glee in the other room, so I'm trying to fix her mt. bike.

The issue I'm having is with a low level Shimano V-brake on the front fork. For whatever reason, I can't get the brakes to keep centered. I set them up, it all looks good. Then I spin the wheel, and pull the lever and wheel stops, and I spin it again, and then pull the lever again and it stops. Then I spin it again and one of the pads is now rubbing, if I pull the lever again and spin again, that pad is rubbing even more.

I tried to change the tension of the spring (based on a web video I found) but didn't have any success.

Any tips? or things to try out?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I did a search, but after reading through 4 pages of threads, and not seeing anything I decided to post my problem.

Jawn P
04-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Pop the springs off the arms and see if the arms are hanging up on the v brake posts. If so, take the brakes off and hit the posts up with some grease.

If that's not the problem, the springs may be a little tired. You can gently bend them out to add a little more spring to them.

MattTuck
04-13-2010, 08:06 PM
If that's not the problem, the springs may be a little tired. You can gently bend them out to add a little more spring to them.

That seems to have done the trick! This doesn't sound like a long term fix, is replacing the spring the permanent solution?

Thanks!

PS. Is this like how steel frames get tired? ;)

vqdriver
04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
akin to the spring tension on the offending side, check to see if both sides' springs are inserted into the same hole on the canti boss. there's usually three holes to choose from for the springs to 'pull' against.

MattTuck
04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
akin to the spring tension on the offending side, check to see if both sides' springs are inserted into the same hole on the canti boss. there's usually three holes to choose from for the springs to 'pull' against.

Yeah, I looked (that is what the web video suggested as well), and it seems that there is only one hole. I definitely could be in the wrong place, but I'm pretty sure. It is a $300 gary fisher, with RST fork. 'multiple holes' may be a feature above this price point.

TAW
04-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Bending the springs will work for a time. You may already know, but you can adjust the spring tension with the screws on each side. Screw it in to make the pad go further out. The further in the screw, the better tension. Use the other side to center. In to go out, out to go in.