PDA

View Full Version : Philly area ride 4/18/2010

Ray
04-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Just a heads up for those who don't check the "rides and events" page very often, updated information on the ride out of West Chester, PA this Sunday found here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=775777#post775777

-Ray

rdparadise
04-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Ray, check the original posting. I sent you a message there.

Bob

Ray
04-18-2010, 05:12 PM
OK, the ride went off as planned. An even dozen riders. A fine time was had by all (perhaps I should let them speak for themselves on that, but it SEEMED like it). The weather was not what its been lately, but it was fine - cool and windy, but a mix of clouds and enough sun to catch the beauty of Chester County, PA, which I never tire of bragging about around here. HUGE thanks to Rdparadise (Bob) and Don'tTreadOnMe (Larry), who both know the roads really well and helped lead the ride when one of us had to hang back with folks having a bit more trouble than others with the hills.

I didn't take any pictures out on the road. Rdparadise took a couple at a re-grouping spot and hopefully he'll post those when he gets a chance. My wife took one of us at lunch in a dark brewpub and the shot isn't great - the flash did a good job on the people in front, a terrible job on the people in back, and decreasingly good jobs on the people as we move from front to back. I've used all of my post processing skills to bring the back people out of the darkness and the shot is full of noise and those in back are out of focus, but at least you can sort of see everyone. Here's the picture:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4535878795_a85c7f995f_b.jpg

Starting at the left front moving back are Bob (Kingfisher), my daughter Abby (check out one of her piano performances at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Fdn3OhSqs), PaMTBrider (I've thoroughly spaced his name - I'm pretty bad with names - I did better today than usual), his wife Roxanne, Tim Porter (both his actual and screen name - what a concept!), and Nahtnoj (Jon), who rode out from center city Philly to the start of the ride - good on him for that. At the end of the table we have Goon (goonster) and his wife, Jin-Yong, also known as tandem-mania - they took some serious pulls on that two-seater. On the right side, starting in the front is Sally (Kingfisher's wife), me (Ray), Bob (rdparadise), and Paul (rugbysecondrow). Larry, who was so helpful in leading the ride, had to peel off a bit early and ride home and couldn't make it to the pub or the picture.

Oh, and there were some nice bikes. A few Serottas, a couple of Spectrums, a couple of Cannondales, A Co-Motion, a Bilenky 650B tandem (with a couple of damned impressive motors in the seats), a Proletariat. And my personal favorite was a beautiful old Chris Chance with DT shifters, one of the nicer flat fork crowns I've seen recently, and all lovingly restored by Tom Kellogg at Spectrum - Nahtnoj rode that one out from Philly. But its not about the bikes, right? In any case, thanks to Serotta for some of the bikes and for the forum that allowed this ride to come together.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. We'll have to do it again sometime!

-Ray

PaMtbRider
04-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Ray did a great job putting this ride together. The ride was very scenic, the group rode well together, and the beer was cold at the end of the ride. I call that a pretty enjoyable, successful day.

nahtnoj
04-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Ray,

Thanks for the great day! I'm going to be doing many rides out your way this summer.

The riding in southeast PA has only peers - the roads and scenery are amazing, especially on a sunny spring day.

Thanks for the compliments on the bike! My favorite was a "girls bike" - Roxanne's Spectrum. The frame was exceptional and all that pink Chris King tied it together beautifully.

It was great meeting everyone and sharing stories along the ride and at lunch, hope to do it again soon.

Best,

Jon

rugbysecondrow
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Great job Ray, I really enjoyed being able to meet everybody and the ride was fantastic.

Roxanne's bike was sweet and it helped that she knew how to ride it.

John's Chance was proper.

I enjoyed seeing Goonster's 650B tandom and they could move on it.

The good news is that Ray didn't have to ban anybody.

Cheers

rdparadise
04-18-2010, 10:16 PM
A truly enjoyable ride today of Forumites, started in West Chester just around 10:15am. Thankfully the later start helped with warming the temps up a bit.

Ray did a fantastic job of keeping us all together and designed a route with enough hills to keep us warm and allow for the proper vantage points of the gorgeous Brandywine Valley. Thanks Ray.

There were beautiful steeds everywhere on this Forum ride. As Ray said, a few Spectrums, several Serottas, Goon's beautiful Bilenky coupled tandem and a really nice custom painted Cannondale. I agree that Rachel's bike with the CK pink headset and pink KS custom built wheels, along with the Tom Kellogg custom paint was very sweet! Jon's, vintage ride, was very well done as well.

Hey, but it's not about the bike. It's about the people right. We had Forumites today from New York, Paul from MD, a bunch from PA and NJ. A very interesting group of riders, some great conversation and a nice breaking of the bread at the end to cap it all off.

All-in-All, a wonderful day for sure and I'd love to do it again sometime later this summer when the weather's even nicer and we can add a few more miles. I'll add pictures when I get a chance later this week.

BTW, 43 miles, almost 2500' of climbing with the optional scenic climb up Greenlawn.

Take care,

Bob

goonster
04-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for a wonderful ride everyone, and thanks to Ray in particular for putting it together!

It was a bit chilly, but it was also a beautiful, bright, clear day, with little fluffy clouds in a sky of purest blue. The Chester County Brandywine horse farm really is worth a trip, and the relatively gentle grades a very tandem-friendly to boot. I'll say this for the tandem: it sure does go fast downhill!

don'TreadOnMe
04-19-2010, 08:51 AM
RAY!!! You rule! What a great ride w/super folks.
Everybody, thanks for letting me in, I really had a blast.

My favorite bike thing wasn't so much a bike (there were ridiculously nice bikes)...It was a sound:
Hearing Goonster's Bilenky/650b's coming on like a freight train, and my sole thoughts zero'ing in on "GET THAT WHEEL".

'Til next time...another happy memory.

SEABREEZE
04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Dog gone ladies and gentlemen, looks like a great time was had by all.

Kingfisher
04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks to Ray for a truly wonderful ride yesterday....spectacular scenery and a great group to ride with!!

Bob

Tim Porter
04-19-2010, 02:40 PM
It's always a blast to ride with and meet new people, but this added an absolutely beautiful route. I had a great time. Thanks Ray! Tim

Ray
04-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I fixed the picture a bit more in the post near the top, in case anyone wanted to save it. Nothing like a terrible exposure to teach you post processing skills! It still pretty bad if you zoom in on the details, but its a lot less bad than it was until you get to the very end of the table.

-Ray

rdparadise
04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
from Sunday's forum ride starting out in West Chester, PA. and hosted by Ray.

Please go here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rdparadise1/WinterSpring2010#

Thanks,

Bob

Ps. These are unmodified and untouched so please use them carefully. Grab a copy if you're interested.

Ray
04-22-2010, 07:58 AM
from Sunday's forum ride starting out in West Chester, PA. and hosted by Ray.

Please go here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rdparadise1/WinterSpring2010#

Thanks,

Bob

Ps. These are unmodified and untouched so please use them carefully. Grab a copy if you're interested.
Thanks Bob. I didn't realize you were shooting out on the road, just at that one stop on Apple Grove. Good to have - thanks again.

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
04-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Who is that good looking guy in shorts? :)

rdparadise
04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Bob. I didn't realize you were shooting out on the road, just at that one stop on Apple Grove. Good to have - thanks again.

-Ray

Well, I took a couple of shots while riding just before arriving in Springdell. The one with Goonster and his wife on the tandem was taken blind with just the camera over my shoulder heading backwards while riding.

I believe the guy in the shorts is Paul from Ellicott City, MD.

Bob