PDA

View Full Version : seatpost or seatmast

fogrider
04-13-2010, 01:31 AM
so can someone explain to me how a seatmast is better than a seatpost? it looks kind of cool but the attachment bolt is higher and close to the seat. is it really a lighter setup?

jblande
04-13-2010, 02:10 AM
like anything else, the answer is going to be: it depends

it could make the bike lighter, but it depends on who makes the frame, what posts you are considering, what price class.

some advantages, some disadvantages.

do a search for integrated seat post (has been discussed here at length before).

it is a fad, looks cool on some bikes. if i wanted to buy a new bike and resale value was unimportant, i'd go for it. it's sexy imho.

Lifelover
04-13-2010, 06:32 AM
... it looks kind of cool ...

Bikes (frames) have come so far and are all so good that often times looking good is reason enough. Hell what really is left to improve?

auto_rock
04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
+1 to jblande

Seatmasts are all about sex appeal. The only functional difference I've seen and really appreciated, asides from some potential minor weight savings, is the setup on the SV cross bikes where the rear brake cable comes out on centre axis because it goes through the mast. That's cool, and would reduce brake line friction, and adds EVEN MORE sex appeal.

TAW
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Our shop carries Ridley now, so we have several ISP bikes. Several good riders seem to like them, and like the way they make a bike feel. I think they look great as well. Various manufacturers have different ways of setting them up, and there is a certain range of adjustability by adding spacers, etc.

fiamme red
04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Bikes with seatmasts are a pain to travel with, if you're trying to fit them into a box.

Ozz
04-13-2010, 11:05 AM
...Hell what really is left to improve?
The IBM chairman said in 1958: "I think there is a world market for about five computers." ;)

:beer:

jasond
04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
There is some good information in this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=59049&highlight=Seat+Post+Mast) .

J

Homsie
04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I think seat masts look cool, but don't they make it hard to clamp your bike into a work stand? How do you actually clamp a seat mast equipped bike into a standard work stand?

Jack Brunk
04-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Seat posts are old school. Don't grade the ISP bikes until you have a few hundred miles on one. You won't feel the same.

fogrider
04-14-2010, 12:21 AM
the concern I have is that most seat mast are not round. and the few times I've gone down on the bike, the seat takes the hit and twist the seat post... what happens with a seat mast?

Hai H. Ho
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I think seat masts look cool, but don't they make it hard to clamp your bike into a work stand? How do you actually clamp a seat mast equipped bike into a standard work stand?

I've had my 595 for the past 3 years now and have really enjoyed it. In regards to any repair work, I thought about what you said in regards to where to clamp. There was only one answer for me: the front fork by using this type of Park repair stand.

All my bikes are super stable in the repair stand, seat post or seatmast.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Seat posts are old school. Don't grade the ISP bikes until you have a few hundred miles on one. You won't feel the same.

and use Di2...(sarcasm intended, nothing personal tho)...

Jack Brunk
04-15-2010, 09:36 AM
and use Di2...(sarcasm intended, nothing personal tho)...
I did forget the Di2. Thanks for the reminder. No worries on the sarcasm it's just bikes and stuff. :beer:

Charles M
04-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Look's version have elastomer dampers that help as a bit of a buzz kill.

I like that version and the version from Trek where you actually have some adjustability and can get a similar aesthetic...

Cyfac are pretty smart making their system something where you can simply chop the ISP off and use a standard Seat post.

Kuota have a "semi" ISP in the Kredo Ultra that takes a standard sizes seat post and can also be cut down later...

Seems like the smarter builders let you go back to standard if you wish (or wish to sell your bike).

I asked a couple of manufacturers that were selling the feature as a better power platform but both of em said "please dont ask me a good question like that" when I asked them how many watts were lost in the case the same bike was made with astandard seat post.

I also asked if there were more or less high freq vibes with ISP versus a standard seat post set up and the honest one's said the vibes were greater with Most ISP that use a cap/saddle clamp, versus designs like Trek and Look that insert (or in trek's case "invert") some sort of stubby post. The overlap post and colar system damps vibes...

Past that, some people prefer ISP for the looks and or the feel.

J.Greene
04-15-2010, 09:54 AM
I like the look of the mast on my Gaulzetti. I can't isolate the feel of the mast though, so much is already going on with the fat Al tubes. The bike is great, but mast or no the damn thing won't pedal itself so I don't see how it really matters one way or another.