PDA

View Full Version : Thomson X2

dirtdigger88
03-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Got my new stem tonight- very nice!!!! It is much slimmer and lower profile than the original Thomsons- the stem "looks" like a road stem- I will post pix this weekend

Jason

Jeff N.
03-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Yep, saw one today. A very nice stem indeed! Very well made! I do wish they made a 90 degree in 110 or 120. Custom is practically the only alternative these day. Jeff N.

Tmogul
03-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Be sure to give us your impressions of the stem. Especially stiffness vs the older ones. I'm assuming you kept the same length? They do look sweet on their website. Enjoy

dirtdigger88
03-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Be sure to give us your impressions of the stem. Especially stiffness vs the older ones. I'm assuming you kept the same length? They do look sweet on their website. Enjoy

I wont be able to give a completly fair opinion I guess- I pulled my old Thomson stem off months ago when I went to a longer stem- I remember thinking to myself how much more I could flex my Forgie than my Thomson- honestly now I am use to the forgie so I dont notice the flex- I am sure the new stem will be stiffer than the Forgie- oh wait - never mind- I have an old thomson on my other road bike :crap: :crap: :crap: all that talk about pot on the other thread- well Ive got the munchies now :cool:

jason

Tmogul
03-22-2005, 11:35 PM
I forgot to ask if you could measure the bar clamp width. I could not find this info anywhere. I checked my older thomson and its 48mm or roughly 1 7/8 inch. I always liked the wide clamp which I think is what really helps with stiffness. A lot of other stems have such narrow clamps. Anyways when you get the chance thanks. :)

dirtdigger88
03-23-2005, 06:23 PM
T man-

got the stem on tonight- width it is around 40mm at the bar- so a bit narrower than the original. I haven't had a chance to ride it so I am out on the stiffness- I will say that with the unscientific twisting of the bars I would say that the new stem is probably not as stiff as the original- but the real question is does it need to be? I only say it is not because it is a thinner, lighter version of the original. The original has in my opinioin set the bench mark for stiffness- so the little brother is most likely going to be a bit less stiff. The stem is down right elegant looking though- :D Best part is that with the new stem also came new bars so my bike is once again complete- new position and all- stay tuned for pix

Jason

Keith A
03-23-2005, 07:45 PM
I have always like LH Thomson's equipment and have an original stem on one of my road bikes. The new X2 and X4 look very nice indeed. I would really like see them add two options for the new stem: (1) a 26.0mm clamp size and (2) a 90° version of the X2.

http://www.lhthomson.com/images/x2proto.jpg
http://www.lhthomson.com/images/x4.jpg

Tmogul
03-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Hope you've got a good ride in. Maybe not till the weekend huh? :)

I just got a reply in my e-mail from thomson. I was hoping for more info but basically the mail said "YES" to the question of...."Is the X2 stiffer and stronger then the original road stem?". Short and sweet. Hey a least they wrote back unlike reynolds and fsa. And in one day I might add. Go thomson. Enjoy your stem Jason. I'll get one in the near future.