PDA

View Full Version : Grade of Polishing Paper

jpw
04-11-2010, 11:16 AM
To buff up a polished ti tube what grade of paper is required?

54ny77
04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
you mean to get a chrome-like shine?

i've never done that with ti, but on aluminum i've gone up to (in stages) 1500 grit wet sand paper, followed by buffing wheel w/jeweler's rouge or simichrome.

Ahneida Ride
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Also consider Semi-chrome polish or Mother's metal polish.

On Serotta polished Ti, these polishes can take the Ti up a notch.
Use a Dremmel and one can obtain a near mirror finish.

jpw
04-11-2010, 11:38 AM
I just want to take out the 'smear' scratches on my Legend.

How are the frames polished by Serotta?

dave thompson
04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I just want to take out the 'smear' scratches on my Legend.

How are the frames polished by Serotta?
If you've got the brushed finish, not the matte finish, green ScotchBrite lightly used in the direction of the 'grain' works perfectly.

04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
To create the finish initially, Serotta uses Scotchbrite pads. However, if I remember correctly, it's the pink pads which are a bit finer than the green ones. I wanted to remove some marks from using Raceblades on a Legend and the pads took them out perfectly. Call Serotta and be sure of the color of pad. Definitely do not use any paper-based product. If you use what Serotta used, you'll have a perfect match to the original finish.

jpw
04-11-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BriteBrand/Scotch-Brite/Products/Directory/

One of these products?

dave thompson
04-11-2010, 03:44 PM
You can use the backside of one of those sponges. You can also get sheets of ScotchBrite meant for painting/auto/industrial use at auto paint stores, hardware stores and I would suspect Home Depot and Lowes too.

What ever you use, start lightly so you can see what finish it will leave.

04-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Yes, first call Serotta to get the correct color/grade. Then any autobody refinishing shop has packages of these Scotchbrite sheets, identical to what Serotta uses. Get the same thing and as said above, always go with the grain (lengthwise down the tube). Don't go sideways or the change in pattern will be very obvious.

dekindy
04-11-2010, 09:08 PM
If you call, please post it here. Thanks.

SPOKE
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Serotta used to use the "grey" colored scotchbrite pads (belts on their Dynafile air grinders). I think the grey colored pads are classified as "extra fine" or "ultra fine".
Just rub in thr direction of the original grain.

Steve in SLO
04-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean by 'smear' stains, but if the stains are not scuffs, first try some Pledge...it does wonders and you may not need abrasives at all.