PDA

View Full Version : How's Your Ride Today?

weisan
04-10-2010, 12:13 PM
75 degrees, blue sky, scenic quiet roads, 5 major climbs, 34 miles, got home 30 minutes ago, finished a plate of eggs, broccoli, and a cup of creamy chocolate milk, ready for a nap. :D

azrider
04-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Wild Horse Creek Road?

St.Albans?

dave thompson
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Is the shaggy beast on the right in the last pic Louis? :D

Louis
04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Is the shaggy beast on the right in the last pic Louis? :D

Here I am minding my own business, trying to be civil, and I get this sort of treatment. No, I'm not the shaggy one. I'm the well groomed one :p

AZrider, correct area, but I don't think any of the pics were taken on WHCrk Rd proper. The first one is the golf course off Hwy T in St Albans, and the vine covered house is in St Albans proper, right across the street from Head's Store. The bison live on Bassett, close to where it T's into Hwy T. I'm pretty sure the pic with the white fences is right where Bassett T's into Old Manchester, near Rt. 100. Unfortunately I wasn't on the ride. I was a work late last night and slept late.

I'll ride later today, but an easier route because I'm not in as good shape as Weisan (yet). Late start to the cycling season for me because we've been crazy-busy at work.

weisan
04-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Az-pal, Louis is right on all counts of the roads I rode on this morning, as if he was there himself!! I parked the car at the junction of Centaur and Eartheton and rode out to WildHorse Creek and beyond. :p

Louis, we could have ridden together this morning, it's not your fitness that concerns me, it's the timing. I know you are still fast asleep on your beds when I started and probably taking a pee in the bathroom when I pulled in. :D Sorry you had to work so late. The last three weekends I have been riding on the same route that you introduced to me around this time last year. It's a great route, with nice scenery and challenging hills thrown in.

Dave-pal, you have over-estimated Louis' looks. He looks more like this, at least when he first woke up:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Y8m29ZLX5ag/SazilUEx3_I/AAAAAAAACz4/-GfLox7oRt0/s400/CAPTAIN+CAVEMAN+INKING+BLACK.jpg

azrider
04-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Damn......pictures and scenery like that make me miss home. I grew up in Chesterfield and know the area well. I didn't pick up the sport of cycling till i moved out here to the desert so i can't speak from experience...BUT....i'd imagine that area would be perfect for a ride.

Thanks for posting.

TAW
04-10-2010, 03:45 PM
30 miles--very enjoyable on the way out, suffering against the wind coming back. There were some hills against the wind where I thought, "if some car would hit me, at least it would put me out of my misery." ;)

fatallightning
04-10-2010, 03:50 PM
40 miles pre-riding the revised bear mountain race course. clear skies, sunny, high 50s/low 60s. perfect arm warmer weather.

weisan
04-10-2010, 03:55 PM
i'd imagine that area would be perfect for a ride.
az-pal,

The next time you get the chance to visit St. Louis, let me know, I will take you out there. It's truly a beautiful part of town, with many challenging hills and quiet country roads, and it's only 15-mins drive from where I live. I could have ridden there from home, that would add another 10+ miles. But these days, I care more about enjoyment and relaxation than I am about accruing mileage. :D
I lost count of how many times I dismounted to take pictures or slow down to a crawl just so I can savor the beautiful scenery and the perfect moments. I guess Spring time at St. Louis is such a magical time, I don't want to miss a single minute, been riding as much as I can...instead of participating in the forum brawl that happened last week. :D

thegunner
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
az-pal,

The next time you get the chance to visit St. Louis, let me know, I will take you out there. It's truly a beautiful part of town, with many challenging hills and quiet country roads, and it's only 15-mins drive from where I live. I could have ridden there from home, that would add another 10+ miles. But these days, I care more about enjoyment and relaxation than I am about accruing mileage. :D
I lost count of how many times I dismounted to take pictures or slow down to a crawl just so I can savor the beautiful scenery and the perfect moments. I guess Spring time at St. Louis is such a magical time, I don't want to miss a single minute, been riding as much as I can...instead of participating in the forum brawl that happened last week. :D

you have buffalo... awesome

CNY rider
04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Mid 40's this afternoon with a stiff chilly breeze. The kind of day made for the dirt bike rather than the regular road bikes.
Took a 50/50 dirt/pavement mix on my ride. Many steep climbs; rode for just under 2 hours and haven't a clue how many miles.

And got a cool lookin' Hincapie Serotta windbreaker in the mail but that was after I already got home. :beer:

Birddog
04-10-2010, 06:05 PM
88+ miles of mixed dirt and pave. 57*at start sunny skies near 80* at the end. My farmer tan is coming along nicely, legs too, esp considering the slow start this year. Speed will come or not.

Birddog

regularguy412
04-10-2010, 06:46 PM
34 miles. Gorgeous weather -- 75 degrees , sunny, light South wind @ 5 mph. Tomorrow's forecast: 78, sunny, light winds. Looking to do about double what I did today.

Mike in AR:beer:

Bruce K
04-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Low 40's and windy. I missed two different group meeting points but that didn't matter because I can't breathe correctly anyways.

Not sure if it's a cold or allergies. I say cold, wife says allergies.

It's all irrelevant 'cause the bottom line is no power and no endurance.

ARRGGGHH!!! :crap: :crap: :crap:

In the end, two hours at 86 rpm average so at least I got some spin in but we won't talk about total miles..... :rolleyes:

BK

Climb01742
04-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Low 40's and windy. I missed two different group meeting points but that didn't matter because I can't breathe correctly anyways.

Not sure if it's a cold or allergies. I say cold, wife says allergies.

It's all irrelevant 'cause the bottom line is no power and no endurance.

ARRGGGHH!!! :crap: :crap: :crap:

In the end, two hours at 86 rpm average so at least I got some spin in but we won't talk about total miles..... :rolleyes:

BK

bruce, didn't wednesday's 90 degrees seem like a distant memory this morning? dang, it was windy+chilly. personally, i blame the wind for my slowness. :D

snah
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Riding? On Saturday? Can't remember the last time, between watching my daughter's JV softball game, taking my son to baseball practice, back home briefly before taking my other daughter to softball, oh right, then I had to cut the forest that's supposed to be my yard. Shame cause it was down right beuatiful in Indy today.

David Kirk
04-10-2010, 08:08 PM
2 hours of dirt road fun. 52* and almost no wind...... pretty darn good for this time of year here.

Dave

Jack Brunk
04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
50 Mile mountain bike race. 6100 feet of climbing in exactly 6 hours of ride time. I'm done for the day.

Birddog
04-10-2010, 09:11 PM
50 Mile mountain bike race. 6100 feet of climbing in exactly 6 hours of ride time. I'm done for the day.

IMPRESSIVE, well done

henrypretz
04-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice riding, everyone. I love the pictures, weisan.

I rode with my club and got 59 miles (60ish?) in the foothills. Our turnaround was the town of Hornitos, which is a ranch community with population maybe 100(?) It was my longest ride ever and I was happy to have been able to push the last hour semi hard (for me) without much fade. Cloudy and temps in the 50s.

fogrider
04-10-2010, 10:19 PM
today it was overcast most of the day. high 50s a the start.

it was my first ride on my carbon tubular wheelset (1,125 grams) and we were climbing mt. hamilton. on the bike, the bike weighed in just over 16 pounds. now, I'm not a climber and I just have to work hard at it. these wheels are pretty much as light as there is and when I stand on them, its like I just float away!

at the top it was in the mid 30s and windy! good thing we were able to go inside! found some newspaper to stuff under the jersey for the way down...I still had trouble controlling the bike due to my shivering.

Jack Brunk
04-10-2010, 10:35 PM
IMPRESSIVE, well done
Thanks. I owe everything to a great frame and fork(2010 Turner DW Flux and Lefty carbon SL fork). Without this special combo I would have never finished.

PCR
04-10-2010, 11:11 PM
W-I-N-D-Y! Sunny 38* @ start, 53* @ finish. 52 sunny miles (for a change).
Oh did I mention it was W-I-N-D-Y? Almost blown of the bike twice. :rolleyes: Just a great day on the bike! :beer:

CNY rider
04-11-2010, 06:20 AM
bruce, didn't wednesday's 90 degrees seem like a distant memory this morning? dang, it was windy+chilly. personally, i blame the wind for my slowness. :D

Drove home from work Thursday afternoon, car thermometer said 83.
Woke up Saturday morning to a dusting of snow on the ground.
Love it. ;)

Wilkinson4
04-11-2010, 02:49 PM
12 miles single track yesterday, 50 miles road and dirt road on my 650B Toei and it was great. Left at 38 and now it is 65 and a little windy.

Good start for the rest of the week:)

mIKE

TMB
04-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Well,

Saturday was my birthday and as we always do on birthdays, I planned to ride it.

I planned to ride on the day and I planned to ride my age. When I woke up it was cold out, unseasonably so - -7*C.

I hemmed and hawed and tried to find excuses not to go, I even suggested a nice quiet family ramble down to the park but the family had no intention of letting me off.

So I finally bundled up and headed out into the balmy 0*C morning.

I actually had a great time, enjoyed it but cut it off after the metric birthday ride ( actually 58 km) because I was dressed for 0* and it was warming up fast.

To be honest, my heart wasn’t in it. This time of year it should be in the high ‘teens out there, this year ............ I am sick to death of winter and cold weather and riding bundled up like the Michelin man.

So I didn’t do the 50 miles, but Canada is metric anyway so a little over 50 km counts.

Some shots around my place.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8Deh_MzrbI/AAAAAAAAC2I/kg8CB34va1o/s800/IMG_5751.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8DemKcNXnI/AAAAAAAAC2M/Yd4zprl1BKA/s800/IMG_5752.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8Detk04-TI/AAAAAAAAC2U/vbGT5YnryoI/s800/IMG_5754.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8De3HqI1JI/AAAAAAAAC2g/OMaspztUKmA/s800/IMG_5756.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8De6dLvB0I/AAAAAAAAC2k/KQ8ULMpDPnQ/s800/IMG_5757.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8De-JQdUrI/AAAAAAAAC2o/WhX_q3eUnsc/s800/IMG_5758.JPG

jlwdm
04-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Took Tuesday thru Friday off because I was getting a cough. Got tired of not riding though.

Yesterday 22 miles before work and 22 miles after work.

Today 64 miles before work (don't work until noon on Sunday)

Jeff

Dekonick
04-11-2010, 08:21 PM
36 miles with 'Rugby' AKA Paul. First fixed gear ride of the year.

:)

Dekonick
04-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Well,

Saturday was my birthday and as we always do on birthdays, I planned to ride it.

I planned to ride on the day and I planned to ride my age. When I woke up it was cold out, unseasonably so - -7*C.

I hemmed and hawed and tried to find excuses not to go, I even suggested a nice quiet family ramble down to the park but the family had no intention of letting me off.

So I finally bundled up and headed out into the balmy 0*C morning.

I actually had a great time, enjoyed it but cut it off after the metric birthday ride ( actually 58 km) because I was dressed for 0* and it was warming up fast.

To be honest, my heart wasn’t in it. This time of year it should be in the high ‘teens out there, this year ............ I am sick to death of winter and cold weather and riding bundled up like the Michelin man.

So I didn’t do the 50 miles, but Canada is metric anyway so a little over 50 km counts.

Some shots around my place.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8Deh_MzrbI/AAAAAAAAC2I/kg8CB34va1o/s800/IMG_5751.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8DemKcNXnI/AAAAAAAAC2M/Yd4zprl1BKA/s800/IMG_5752.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8Detk04-TI/AAAAAAAAC2U/vbGT5YnryoI/s800/IMG_5754.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8De3HqI1JI/AAAAAAAAC2g/OMaspztUKmA/s800/IMG_5756.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8De6dLvB0I/AAAAAAAAC2k/KQ8ULMpDPnQ/s800/IMG_5757.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QhwtCvS9cDE/S8De-JQdUrI/AAAAAAAAC2o/WhX_q3eUnsc/s800/IMG_5758.JPG

Beautiful. Reminds me of Seattle and the surrounding area.

giverdada
04-11-2010, 08:32 PM
my ride today was the first one in a whole week, work and family have a way of taking over, and today marked my first road race.

woah.

finished dead last, a full lap behind the group, but finished ahead of about 7 DNF and DNS. 30 miles of 70% dirt and 30% pavement. windy. fun. had a rockin good time. the bike was perfect.

i'm going to have to give this all another go.

dekindy
04-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I was on Spring Break during the week so I had not ridden since last Sunday.

Saturday was 20+ mph winds so it was tough riding. 45 miles.

Sunday no wind at all which was good because I rode farther than Saturday and was still tired from riding. 57 miles.

Both days were sunny and gorgeous. All I wore extra were knee covers.

Steve in SLO
04-11-2010, 09:27 PM
2.96 miles.
I headed out into 35-50 mph headwinds, maxing out at 10.5 mph downhill. Then it started raining. The drops were like needles in my face. By one mile, I had nearly got hit twice by cars. I decided I didn't need to be a hardman or a target, so I turned around and rode the 1.5 miles home at 30-35mph in an easy spin.
Paris-Roubaix was waiting anyway.

TMB
04-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Beautiful. Reminds me of Seattle and the surrounding area.

North and East.

Think pretty much straight north of Wenatchee, up the same valley.

rdparadise
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I got out yesterday in the chilly morning weather with 30 + MPH winds. Did 48 for the day. 42 degrees at the start and mid 50's at the finish. My second 100+ mile week of the year.

Today I got out for a quick spin in the seasonably 72 degree weather. Started the week with a total of 32 miles under sunny skies. Wind was still there but only maybe 20 mph today.

Monday, Phillies home opener with Hamels on the mound against the Nats.

Bob

sc53
04-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Did a beautiful 47 miler yesterday up, down and around the Shenandoah River in VA, starting in the quaint little old town of Berryville. About 30% of the ride was on gravel roads with some pretty steep climbs. Temps got up to 76 or so, sunny and mild. My Paris Roubaix Challenge tires have been rolling fine on the roads with no problems with flats. Uh oh re. riding these tires on gravel. Two flats, first the front (two big nicks in the tube) then the rear (one small nick in the tube), all in the first 20 miles. Thank God the tires fought off the wire and gravel invasions for the remaining 27 miles as I had already patched both tubes. These are NOT dirt road tires even though they are 29-30 mm wide on my rims. Gotta change tires for something heavier duty for my next dirt road ramble.