PDA

View Full Version : Serotta is Italian?

Dekonick
04-08-2010, 12:05 AM
LOL - on my ride today, I ran into 2 older cyclists (to give you an idea, one had been riding in 1950 - on a Raleigh... then later bought a Peugeot... now on a Trek... but obviously he isn't up on 'newer' bikes - ie Serotta or anything after lets say 1980) and was asked if I liked my Italian 'Serotta' bike.

Gotta love it when you meet folks older than your grandparents still cycling! :) It gives me hope!

Pete Serotta
04-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Oh yes,,,,,We have a gentleman around Raleigh who will be 70 in DEC. He kicks butt on the bike and even races in the State Games that are held in NC>

Sandy
04-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Pete- I will be 70 in December too. But I stopped cycling over two years ago. What a mistake. One loses a great deal in doing such- energy, aerobic and muscular conditioning with possible/probable health consequences, camaraderie with some wonderful people, past and future friendships/interactions, some self satisfaction/productivity, fun, and a lot more....Just keep cycling....as long as you are able....If you stop, it may be difficult to start again...

Sandy

fiamme red
04-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Pete- I will be 70 in December too. But I stopped cycling over two years ago. What a mistake. One loses a great deal in doing such- energy, aerobic and muscular conditioning with possible/probable health consequences, camaraderie with some wonderful people, past and future friendships/interactions, some self satisfaction/productivity, fun, and a lot more....Just keep cycling....as long as you are able....If you stop, it may be difficult to start again...It's not too late for you to get started again. Just do it. Pump up your tires today and go for a ride around the block.

fourflys
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I learned when I started riding here in San Diego a couple of years ago to NEVER discount someone because of their age...

There was a group getting ready to ride up Mt. Soledad in La Jolla and I thought since most of them were over 50, I could hang.... Well, John, the leader who is 63 or so, came back to check on me a few times as I huffed and puffed up the climb... I had a nice piece of humble pie that day... ;)

fourflys
04-08-2010, 09:30 AM
It's not too late for you to get started again. Just do it. Pump up your tires today and go for a ride around the block.

exactly! the 2 or 3 miles you ride today is 2 or 3 more than you rode yesterday... Get back on Sandy!

Birddog
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
A couple times a year I get the "left handed" compliment "Do you mind me asking your age?". Actually, I wish it came more often.

SEABREEZE
04-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I learned when I started riding here in San Diego a couple of years ago to NEVER discount someone because of their age...

There was a group getting ready to ride up Mt. Soledad in La Jolla and I thought since most of them were over 50, I could hang.... Well, John, the leader who is 63 or so, came back to check on me a few times as I huffed and puffed up the climb... I had a nice piece of humble pie that day... ;)

post of the day... got to love it

I had a nice piece of humble pie that day

Pete Serotta
04-08-2010, 09:46 AM
We miss you and your kicked my ass every time we rode together -- YOU can do it again. PETE

Pete- I will be 70 in December too. But I stopped cycling over two years ago. What a mistake. One loses a great deal in doing such- energy, aerobic and muscular conditioning with possible/probable health consequences, camaraderie with some wonderful people, past and future friendships/interactions, some self satisfaction/productivity, fun, and a lot more....Just keep cycling....as long as you are able....If you stop, it may be difficult to start again...

Sandy

johnnymossville
04-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I was in a race some years back, and about 25 miles into a 50 mile race, I was sitting comfortably in the front group which had been whittled down to 8 to 10 riders.

We were heading down a long hill with tight curves, when all of a sudden out of nowhere. MY DAD!!!! came flying around all of us with a hearty Wooohoooooo! He was in his early 50's at the time and fit. Very fit.

That shocked everyone I was with. We caught him on our way up the next mountain and he couldn't hang with us, but that pass goes down as one of my favorite race moments. I'll never forget it.

jpw
04-08-2010, 11:11 AM
One must climb with even pace. How many times have people zoomed past only to be overtaken a while later, lactic later? :rolleyes:

flickwet
04-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Everyone's right, get out and ride to the mailbox, then ride back, then tomorrow ride a mile, then two the next day, don't push it, no hurries, but for goodness gracious ride again.

Pete Serotta
04-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Come on Sandy..... i will buy you and King a bagel in MAY (King can have a steak with his), if you get out for 5 miles a few times a week. THis is a wonderful time of the year and the Rock Creek area in your area is one of my favorites.

bironi
04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
I was in a race some years back, and about 25 miles into a 50 mile race, I was sitting comfortably in the front group which had been whittled down to 8 to 10 riders.

We were heading down a long hill with tight curves, when all of a sudden out of nowhere. MY DAD!!!! came flying around all of us with a hearty Wooohoooooo! He was in his early 50's at the time and fit. Very fit.

That shocked everyone I was with. We caught him on our way up the next mountain and he couldn't hang with us, but that pass goes down as one of my favorite race moments. I'll never forget it.

Great story. Thanks. :beer:

Dekonick
04-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Sandy - Ill come to your neck of the woods for a mile or two. Later we can get coffee.

C'mon! You can do it. I work out at the gym with a gentleman who is 81! He is still benching 185!

Even if we don't ride, how about a good walk?