PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum seatposts in titanium frames

serpico7
04-07-2010, 10:35 PM
This came up in another forum, and there was some mention of potential galvanic corrosion, and I figured I could get a definitive answer here.

Would I be correct in assuming that regular grease (anti-seize not necessary) applied once every year or two would make this a non-issue?

dave thompson
04-07-2010, 10:53 PM
This came up in another forum, and there was some mention of potential galvanic corrosion, and I figured I could get a definitive answer here.

Would I be correct in assuming that regular grease (anti-seize not necessary) applied once every year or two would make this a non-issue?
If you're not going to be removing your seatpost for a year or more, then I would say to use anti-seize. If you remove your seatpost every couple of months, then regular grease will work nicely.

Don't tempt fate.

Ahneida Ride
04-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Thompson Post in Legend Ti Frame

Hogwash ...

All seatposts should be removed / cleaned .... seat tube cleaned ...
periodically.

It's really that simple.

Dekonick
04-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Yes - SHOULD be removed and cleaned.

But sometimes busy schedules etc make people forget...

:crap:

toaster
04-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Experience is a great teacher, not doing that again. Use a carbon post. It's too easy to not undo seat post for service until too late.

Peter P.
04-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Use anti-seize whenever titanium is one of the metals. Titanium is highly reactive when in contact with other metals. Pull the post annually.

Pete Serotta
04-08-2010, 06:50 AM
IF you take your posts out every few months you are fine. If yearly or longer use the anti seize. I have seen some older posts even stick in a steel frame. (have not seen any stick in a carbon frame).

It is not a pleasant experience if it "combines" with the seat tube and can take much time and $$$ to unstick.

PETE

rockdude
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I hear there is no problems with a Ti post in an Al frame. :)

If you ride in the rain, Even with Anti-seize, I would pull it out at least twice a year.

roguedog
04-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Apologies if this is a slight hijack of this thread but was thinking about this as well.

How do you clean the seat tube? What's your method? I was thinking taking a broom handle or something and tying an old t-shirt or something? wondering if folks have a better method.

EDS
04-08-2010, 08:22 AM

My aluminum seatpost has seized in my titanium frame - happened within the span of 9 months (it had been removed 10 months ago but wouldn't budge as of a month ago). If I think I can get it out but sacrificing the seatpost, but from now on I will remove and re -"grease" more often.

Mike748
04-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Not all Ti frames are the same. I've never had any corrosion with an Al seatpost in my Ti Fierte which has a perforated insert in the seat tube. Same seatpost in my Ottrott corroded immediately, even with anti seize applied. I quickly went back to a carbon post on that one.

serpico7
04-08-2010, 09:14 AM
All this talk got me a bit nervous since I haven't removed or adjusted my Ti post in two years. I loosened the clamp apprehensively, took a deep breath and gave the saddle nose a gentle wack with my palm, and let out a sigh of relief as the post turned.

I should note that I had used copper anti-seize when first installing it (I was reminded by the coppery color).

Pete Serotta
04-08-2010, 06:17 PM
does ti posts have an effect with ti seat tubes?

Never thought of that - - better go down check my ti bike

serpico7
04-08-2010, 06:36 PM
does ti posts have an effect with ti seat tubes?

Never thought of that - - better go down check my ti bike
Yes, Ti/Ti interfaces can gall.

markie
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Experience is a great teacher, not doing that again. Use a carbon post. It's too easy to not undo seat post for service until too late.

I've seen a few carbon posts stuck in steel frames....

jpw
04-09-2010, 04:33 PM
'Cold welding' is the term. Use copper grease.