PDA

View Full Version : Wheelsucking

OldDog
03-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Follow that Wheel

In my declining years I think I'm becoming older but wiser. I've discovered the joys of wheelsucking.

Wheelsucking, as we all know, is the art of burying yourself deep in the bowels of the pack and taking advantage of the front rider who is breaking the wind. This allows you to go much faster than you could alone.
In my youth, I would take long pulls at the front, and end the century at my VOP max (Verge of Puking), but still with the lead group. Later in life I would do the same and wonder why I got dropped in the last 15 miles.

Typical century scenario:

Mile 0 -- Blast out of the starting gate at warp speed, feeling great.
Mile 60 -- Finally stop to eat something.
Mile 75 -- Leg cramps set in.
Mile 85 -- Limp back to finish, wondering if any paramedics are on call.

So I've changed my strategy and decided to dedicate myself to wheelsucking. I'm not proud; I'll draft anything -- women, children, tandems (especially tandems). If they have a wheel, I'll suck it. I draw the line at recumbents, however. They provide less draft than a large German shepherd, so they're definitely not worth it.

Wheelsucking has a lot in common with whitewater canoeing. In canoeing, you find a nice eddy to sit behind, recover your composure, then dash ahead to the next one. Similarly, the adept wheelsucker can relax in the draft of one group, then, when sufficiently recovered, charge ahead to find the next group.

After a few riders have pulled off the front, you may find yourself dangerously close to that unenviable position. At this point, it's time to create a diversion. "Look, an eagle!" or "Dinosaur up" are among my favorites. Use the ensuing confusion to surreptitiously slip to the back of the pack. Corners and traffic lights are both good places to improve your position. The skilled wheelsucker will enter a sweeping left turn in second position, only to find himself again at the back coming out of the turn.

The key to successful wheelsucking is finding the appropriate suckees. It's no good to get behind a group that's slower than you would be if you ever took your turn at the front (which you must never do, remember). An early breakaway is often a good way to flush out the stronger riders. Blast off the front, only to be quickly chased down by a group whose wheels you will be happy to suck for the remainder of the ride. The other advantage of this is that it eliminates many of the other freeloaders like yourself, who contribute nothing to your average speed. You have to be careful with this approach, though, that you don't end up eliminated yourself.

If you must take a pull, do it on a hill. After sitting in for 30 miles you should be able to lead the pack for a minute or so, thereby impressing everyone with your hill-climbing abilities. You've got to get up the hill anyway, and when you're riding at 8 miles an hour, it doesn't matter a whole lot who's in front.

Author Unknown, but acknowledged as a rider to look up to.

BURCH
03-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Since it sounds like you have pulled your weight over the years....I see nothing wrong with enjoying this tactic on one of your century rides. You have earned....

I just wouldn't use it on the commute home behind a total stranger....I had some guy do that to me last summer. I didn't even know that he was right behind me. I casually look back only to become startled and wobbly when he scared the crap out of me. He was inches off of my rear wheel enjoying the draft from my 200lbs going 20mph.....after I saw him, he peeled off and sprinted away. Since I had a bike bag filled with work stuff (~10 to 15 lbs) and he was not carrying any weight. I had no chance of catching him. Definately not a cool roadie.

Kevan
03-22-2005, 10:44 AM
rope-a-dope. :D

Bradford
03-22-2005, 11:06 AM
I've been both a sucker and a suckee, and I say god bless you, wheel suck all you want, its part of the joy of cycling.

I love it when we are on the tandem and pick up wheel suckers. My favorite thing to do is pick up a pack of them, slowly raise our speed, and then watch them fall off the back. It is fun until I hear my stoker say "if you are done showing off, can we slow down again."

coylifut
03-22-2005, 11:10 AM
that was probably the most well thought out post I've viewed in a while. You should get an award or something.

Just don't do it riding an Ottrot with ADAs on the Sunday Starbucks ride.

OldDog
03-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Note the author is unkown, I take no credit for it's crafty light hearted theme.

I "sucked" this off some club's website many years ago and used it in our own clubs newletter time and again.

Sign me,
Sucking Wind.....

Skrawny
03-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Old Dog, thanks for the great post (even if you don't take credit)
I am relatively new to this sport (2 years). I remember being afraid to come within 20 ft of another cyclist out of fear that wheelsucking will somehow offend them. I was also afraid of the snobbery that I errantly assumed would pervade the sport; "who am I to draft of this guy?" As I grew in confidence, skill and comfort, I found that -far from snobbery- there was a lot of acceptance and camaraderie; if the rider in front knew I was there they would helpfully signal hazards etc. When I know someone is behind me I remind myself to ride smooth and try to help them out too.

I still don't get too close behind someone unless I know/trust the person, but in a strong headwind my hollow little bones are grateful for some help.
-s

Idris Icabod
03-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I wait until I am three riders back from the front position, then clip out one leg and shake it as I feign cramp. I then drift to the back of the pack, slip in again. I did the entire tour de tucson (109 miles) without taking a pull using this tactic.

BURCH
03-22-2005, 01:59 PM
I wait until I am three riders back from the front position, then clip out one leg and shake it as I feign cramp. I then drift to the back of the pack, slip in again. I did the entire tour de tucson (109 miles) without taking a pull using this tactic.

I am actually sitting here laughing a to myself picturing you shaking your leg. I wonder if anybody thought, "He always shakes his leg when in the #3 position and falls back"

Very funny.

BarryG
03-22-2005, 02:13 PM
How 'bout some etiquette and just pull through and then pull quickly off the front? No problem if you don't have the strenth to take a pull, but no need to inject more chaos into the paceline. Ahnold sez you're girly men :p

Barry

Too Tall
03-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Oldawg. Kudos on the 'tude. Mi' drafta Su drafta :)

Spinner
03-22-2005, 03:56 PM
"Suck, but don't touch."

SPOKE
03-22-2005, 06:40 PM
you know that you have advanced to the highest levels of cycling when you can easily drop anyone "off the front" of the group.

M_A_Martin
03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Tandem stories....or the draft that you DO feel.

We were riding a mtb tandem on a tour on a long straight dead grade, not working hard, just pumping along like regular folk on tandem with a tailwind, pretty happy with our speed when suddenly it felt like we had the brakes on. My captain at the time had a bad habit of resting his fingers on the brake and when he'd lift off we'd suddenly go again. So I asked him if he had the brake on: "NO" came the curt reply. I have him check the front brake for rub, I check the rear, and the rack, and everything on the back to make sure we weren't dragging a pannier on the wheel or anything when I happen to look up into the grinning face of a red-haired, blue-eyed wheelsucker! Scared me to pieces!
He hadn't said anything to let us know he was there, it was our first long ride on the tandem, we weren't used to being used for a draft...certainly didn't belong in a paceline yet (and we were well aware of that fact), and dang it, he was stealing our tailwind!
It is the ONLY time I've ever physically noticed anyone drafting the tandem.

"Excuse me, do you mind? We're new at this and we're not used to being used for a draft." He didn't say a word, just remained stuck to our rear wheel no matter if we slowed or sped up. I asked him a couple times to give us some space. Didn't happen. He was in his happy place, drafting a tandem *and* a great tailwind at the same time, and he wasn't giving it up and wasn't going to do any work either. We happened to know the route, and knew that even though there wasn't a scheduled rest stop, there was a river where you could take a swim, so we pulled in, went to the rest room while he chatted with a couple other people and waited on his bike for us to pull out. My captain and I looked at each other and wandered down to the river's edge. At this point, the wheelsucker came down to look at the river with us. My captain and I chatted about going in, the wheelsucker pulls off his shoes and socks and starts wading in... 10 minutes well spent. We continued on our way wheelsucker free.

Draft tandems all you like, but please be polite!

Ginger - former stoker.

BURCH
03-22-2005, 08:20 PM
"Excuse me, do you mind? We're new at this and we're not used to being used for a draft." He didn't say a word, just remained stuck to our rear wheel no matter if we slowed or sped up. I asked him a couple times to give us some space. Didn't happen.

I'll give you credit. That guy was a real idiot and you seemed to take the high road. I can't believe that he stayed on your wheel even after you asked him not to.

I also never knew that pulling caused a slow down from behind. I just thought that it was hard because you were the one cutting into the wind or just cutting the hole in the air. I didn't realize that people from behind were also draining the energy pool too...

bcm119
03-22-2005, 08:32 PM
That must have been one bad-a$$ tailwind if it was blowing faster than you were riding...

M_A_Martin
03-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Burch, Like I said, that is the only time I ever noticed the difference. And, once we got comfortable and more stable (darn mountain bikers) a lot of people sat in our pacelines without issue. I think the dead grade had something to do with it...we were going up hill even if it didn't look like it. We also still had knobbies on the bike...(we did actually ride the bike on the trail... and didn't bother changing out the tires for the tour...oops)

And yes bcm119, it was a freak'n LOVELY tailwind the guy messed up. When someone talks about the flatlands of Michigan, believe them, and the wind just whips if you're in the right spot at the right time...

spatz
03-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Naw it doesn't work that way BURCH. Into a headwind/no wind, you travel faster with someone drafting off your wheel. The impolite individual M_A_Martin was speaking off was stealing their tailwind ... which in that case was a bigger kinetic loss then the small gain having another rider on your wheel gave them aero wise. Wheelsucking is fine, but show the guy/gal who is REALLY doing the work some respect; use a little common sense. Racing on the other hand is another story... people as a rule aren't nearly so polite toward slackers. :no:

spatz :)

William
03-23-2005, 05:25 AM
Racing on the other hand is another story... people as a rule aren't nearly so polite toward slackers.

Very true.

I've seen people "go off" (#&%*@^!!!!!) on others for not pulling through quite a few times. Two incidents that stick out in my memory:

Racing in the PIR series, a group of 3-4 guys were off the front with a female rider stuck in no-mans land between them and the peloton. I zip off the front and reel in the female rider. As I pull up behind her, she immediately turns and starts cussing me out to pull through. Huh what? I was about to ask her to work with me to get up to the break. Pissed me off so I just pull around and ride her off and bridge up on my own. maybe not the nicest thing for me to do.

Riding the Mt Tabor series, the group is together, and one guy is being a bit of a jerk (no relation to Sir Jerk). he moves to the front as we come over the top of the climb to take a pull down the hill. As we roll along the long right hand sweeper, he wants someone to pull through. No one does and everyone stays behind (him folks were letting him hang out there for a bit). He turns looking over his right shoulder and starts cussing and telling people to pull through. The idiot wasn't paying attention and started veering to the left as he's yelling over his right shoulder. Then all of a sudden, POOF! He's gone and a collective burst of laughter rises from the peloton before everyone gets back to work. On that part of the course, the shoulder was a grassy bank that dropped off quite steeply (as I remember it).

William

Too Tall
03-23-2005, 06:10 AM
MAM you def. took the high road. When we ride tandem the fight for our wheel is sometimes a small war. On long events it can get a little unnerving to have strangers hanging on so we've developed the impromptu pee stop. Works like a charm. Even a shameless wheelsucker has the dignity to just ride on while Queen drops trou' ;)

Personally, I like the front. If folks want to draft me an sprint ahead fine and dandy. They want to draft me and keep me company all the better.

M_A_Martin
03-23-2005, 06:27 AM
Too Tall,
You probably provide a FINE draft on your tandem being as tall as you are.

We started calling strangers who don't know how to ride in a paceline and draft tandems on long rides "gnats" because that's what they look like swarming behind the bike trying to latch on...
Funny, but dangerous.

BURCH
03-23-2005, 09:30 AM
I joined and rode with the Westchester wheelmen a couple of times two years ago and one saturday ride was called the "Paceline Special". For those of us who don't race road bikes, it was very educational and a great experience to be in a formal paceline setting where all the riders would rotate thru the line (like an indian run). The ride leader did a good job keeping the group organized. We easily averaged 20 - 25mph depending on the terrain. It was a really fun ride. I would recommend it to other clubs to try out (I know that pacelines occur on fast club rides, but this ride was specifically made to ride paceline style only).

Pulling was a great feeling. It reminded me of being the stroke on the college crew team again. Setting the pace and that feeling of power that you get. Pretty awesome feeling - especially because the group didn't have any ego maniacs to take away from the experience.

Rich_W
03-23-2005, 10:34 AM
There's definitley a defined line between wheelsucking in a group ride setting, and someone just coming up on you while out trianing solo. And being 'snobbish' or anything... its just that I don't know you, and if you tap my wheel, or accidently take me down... I'm gonna be pissed. So I view it as rude in this type of situation.

I've had this happen many times... typically what I do is slowly increase the pace and then swing off, hit the brakes, and the chump flies right by (please spare me the Top Gun references...) and then get on his wheel.

This happened to me last week on one of my regular loops. I could hear the guy breathing hard beind me as he bridged the gap up to me... that was a sure sign to raise the pace on him. For gods sake... if you're gonna sneak up to someone's wheel... don't pant like a dog.

The other option too is to slow the pace down slowly, so the wheelsucker is forced to come around, thinking he's cracked you. Then you stay on him... and pride comes into play...Eventually, even the best explode using this tactic. The guy is forced to keep on the power as to now embarass himself. This can be downright torture... I've fell into this trap once or twice...once having to swing off, and another forced to drop the guy hard.

I often visit the folks down on Long Beach Island a few weekends a summer, and try to get in two full laps of the island (18 miles long, 36 a lap)... one way with the wind behind you, and one way with it in your face. These conditions provide optimal conditions for wheelsuckers, and suckees. My two rules... no body passes me, and if they want to play... play back.

Bottom line... if I don't know you, you won't be on my wheel for long. :butt:

William
03-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Pulling was a great feeling. It reminded me of being the stroke on the college crew team again. Setting the pace and that feeling of power that you get. Pretty awesome feeling

#6 seat. Port man in the engine room. :cool: :beer: I raced crew for a few years before an injury moved me over to road racing.

William

BURCH
03-23-2005, 10:47 AM
#6 seat. Port man in the engine room. :cool: :beer: I raced crew for a few years before an injury moved me over to road racing.
William

Nice, I was a port oar also. I usually stroked, but was occasionally put in the 6 seat as well depending on the boat :). I definately miss rowing. Most of the guys on the team were avid cyclist and that is how I eventually ended up getting into serious cycling and on this forum.

What was your injury? (injuries suck)

SoCalSteve
03-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Am I missing something here? Arent they the same things? I teach all my participants the fine art of pacelining and really stress the importance of doing it on all the training rides and when they eventually ride the Century event.

I dont find anything wrong with it, as long as proper communications is used. Slowing, stopping, rolling!!!

Just one coaches opinion...

Steve

PS: Trust does play a huge role in pacelining and I discourage it with strangers, especially when I am training newbies.

coylifut
03-23-2005, 12:24 PM
There's definitley a defined line between wheelsucking in a group ride setting, and someone just coming up on you while out trianing solo. And being 'snobbish' or anything... its just that I don't know you, and if you tap my wheel, or accidently take me down... I'm gonna be pissed. So I view it as rude in this type of situation.

Gotta agree. That is a RUDE situation. Fortunatly it's really rare in the part of town where I live. The few times it's happened to me I always say. "Is there someone behind me?" After they affirm I pleasantly tell them that I need to stop and please go around. They always do. I don't engage in any games to drop them at all. I really don't want anyone on my wheel that I don't know. Our team does one charity century a year and occasionally we'll get some knats (I like that). If we want to get rid of em we put a couple of big boys upfront and just pop em off. Anyone who can hang we try to recruit as new members.

I go out of my way to be polite to all cyclists I meet, but I really don't like someone chasing me down just so they can sit on my wheel. No commuter olympics for me.

1centaur
03-23-2005, 12:42 PM
I am solo only, and knew nothing of the joys of wheelsucking until I got a Computrainer and rode against Metal Man with "Drafting on." What a blast!

I like to ride a mile loop 10+ times, wheelsucking until the last quarter mile and then sprinting past at full power. Metal Man doesn't mind that I beat him on every lap or latch on a quarter mile past the line - just plugs along at whatever watts I set. Excellent!

flydhest
03-23-2005, 12:51 PM
SoCalSteve,

I think most people would say that wheelsucking is sitting on someone and letting them do all the work while pacelining involves sharing the work among those in the line.

William
03-23-2005, 12:57 PM
I really enjoyed Crew. You did a good job of explaining the feeling.

What was your injury? (injuries suck)

It was a nasty back injury. We were doing sprints up the river and all of a sudden it was like jolts of electricity shooting up my back...almost crabbed it. Even today I can lift, spar, and hammer no problem, but I might do something little like a slight twist while putting a 45 pounder on the rack and BANG! It's back.No one was able to pin point exactly what the cause was. They did x-rays and a whole gamut of tests and couldn't coclusivly pin point anything. It was likely related to a bad skateboard accident I had when I was in 9th or 10th grade. Let's just say that a hill (15-20mph or so), a raised reflector, and my tail bone all met at once. My buddies had to drag me out of the road, and I couldn't get up to walk for about 20 minutes. I've been having intermitent back pain ever since. I hadn't had any problems for a while until that crew incident.

William