PDA

View Full Version : just because a phone is ringing...

Climb01742
04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
we don't have to answer it.

maybe we all, members and moderators alike, just need to take a step back for awhile and simply do less.

less replying to comments we don't like.

less moderating of members, threads and posts we think nudge a line.

less letting folks get under our skin.

each word written here is a ringing phone. sometimes, maybe even most of the time, ringing phones are better left ringing. just because it rings, and just because we can pick it up, doesn't mean we have to and let whomever and whatever is on the other end disturb our metaphorical dinner.

lately, maybe we've all been doing more here than we need to.

maybe, for awhile, let's try, everyone, to do less.

and let a few phones just ring. eventually, they always stop on their own.

jbrainin
04-07-2010, 11:03 AM
And while we're at it, howzabout we take a little more care before "making a phone call" in the first place? (Particularly if it is aggressive or hostile in tone.)

1centaur
04-07-2010, 11:58 AM
There's a difference between aggressive/hostile and frustrated. Posters with long track records of reasoned points and moderate tone should not be nuked when they show occasional frustration.

All this to-do (how's that for an old fashioned phrase) today reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife this morning (and not for the first time): nobody can "make" you feel anything. How you feel about something is your responsibility. Which plays into climb's point. React less, consider more, and life becomes much, much better.

jbrainin
04-07-2010, 12:20 PM
If frustrated, then wait until later before posting. If the urgency remains, then the tone of the post written later is likely to be more measured than the reactive tone of the post done when initially frustrated.

There is nothing to be gained by writing such posts except to create a flamefest.

SEABREEZE
04-07-2010, 12:28 PM
We all should practice

When the power of love overcomes the love of power... the world will know peace

Tom Byrnes
04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
+1 to all of the above well-reasoned and wise words.

Tom

fourflys
04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I say we just let all these threads about this die....

Pete Serotta
04-07-2010, 12:31 PM
By moderators and forumites :)

Thanks. I even talked to a fine gentleman from Park City just a minute ago who took the time out of his busy day to share some wisdom with me (just as you all have done).

I am going to be the first to take your's and his advice.

I do not have the right to share my frustration here.....

Please accept my apology for as 1Centaur correctly says " you and only you are responsible for your feelings and actions"

I LOST TRACK OF THAT> And will not (or try not to) let it happen again.

My actions need to be a reflection of me and not be driven by others. Easier said than done but that is the place I personally need to be.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to talk to me.

RED ON ME (or beer) if you make it to the OPEN HOUSE or RALEIGH>

YOUR FRIEND!!! PETE

Pete Serotta
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
So here is a bump ti get back to the top.

A search would have brought it up.

PETE

Karin Kirk
04-08-2010, 01:46 PM
.http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6eBfU5QI5pM/SpmvzfYKOpI/AAAAAAAAKCw/N-59O3GiXwI/s400/PICT0002.JPG

bironi
04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
It does seem that the timing is weird for the recent drama. The weather sounds good on that coast. Enjoy it for me, we've had a late winter redux. :beer: