PDA

View Full Version : Best Part of a Ride....

93legendti
04-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Returning home... :)

KeithS
04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I have a friend, every time he comes out of the mens room after applying chamois creme he always says "best part of the ride.."

93legendti
04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
I have a friend, every time he comes out of the mens room after applying chamois creme he always says "best part of the ride.."
To quote Jerry, sounds like he's got a whole different thing going on.

johnnymossville
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
For me, there are a couple best parts I could list off the top of my head.

I really enjoy the first hour or so of a ride when I have fresh legs and the miles roll by relatively easy.

I like tailwinds.

I like fast downhill sections

I like steep uphill sections

I like hearing an sms coming in from my 8 year old daughter when I'm out there on the road, just to say she's thinking about me and she loves me.

I like the cold beer that's been waiting in the fridge for after the ride.

93legendti
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
...I like hearing an sms coming in from my 8 year old daughter when I'm out there on the road, just to say she's thinking about me and she loves me.

That reminds me of my 4 yr old boy. It never fails, when I walk in the door: "Hey Daddy, how was your ride?" I love it.

BurritoGuru
04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
the reward....a spicy burrito with a cold beer

Wilkinson4
04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
My dog, who somehow knows the difference between me getting dressed for work and being gone all day (vs) putting on my wool kit and being gone for a few hours.

Gone to work, relaxes all day and knows when I should be home. Gone for a ride and he constantly looks out the window waiting for me to come back and if it is longer than 3-4 hrs he starts howling so I am told.

The best part of the ride is the greeting when I come back:)

mIKE

Louis
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
For me the best part of a ride is when I'm exploring a new route on a nice low-traffic road and I turn a hilly corner and find a cool new vista spread out before me. There's that second or two of taking it all in after the initial "Wow" and you really feel like cycling is more than just a fun exercise outdoors, but also a neat way to see new things and appreciate the world around you.

BumbleBeeDave
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
. . . except for the steep uphills early in the season. I also turn my cell off during rides--it represents what I go on rides to get away from.

Another best part is looking at the computer summary after the ride and discovering I had a really great unexpected stat of some sort--high average speed, etc.

BBD

For me, there are a couple best parts I could list off the top of my head.

I really enjoy the first hour or so of a ride when I have fresh legs and the miles roll by relatively easy.

I like tailwinds.

I like fast downhill sections

I like steep uphill sections

I like hearing an sms coming in from my 8 year old daughter when I'm out there on the road, just to say she's thinking about me and she loves me.

I like the cold beer that's been waiting in the fridge for after the ride.

Volant
04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Many great "bests" already listed. For me the best part of 'a' ride is when someone I introduced to cycling kicks my butt (either in a sprint, uphill, or just plain endurance).
But, getting back safely and looking forward to doing it again is right up there too!
The best part for my dog is the leg-salt-lick I bring him back. :)

johnnymossville
04-07-2010, 10:18 AM
For me the best part of a ride is when I'm exploring a new route on a nice low-traffic road and I turn a hilly corner and find a cool new vista spread out before me. There's that second or two of taking it all in after the initial "Wow" and you really feel like cycling is more than just a fun exercise outdoors, but also a neat way to see new things and appreciate the world around you.

I really like this. Running and walking are nowhere near as good for appreciating the outdoors as riding for me.

Riding my motorcycle is good too, but cycling is still the best.

cmg
04-07-2010, 10:22 AM
have to say half the fun is riding on a new route, the "turn a hilly corner and find a cool new vista spread out before me" is definitely an Aha moment. several months ago crested a hill only to see a really steep decend before me, took my breath away, went over 40 on that one.

fiamme red
04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Returning home... :)The best part of a ride is the post-ride cigarette.

Wait, I may be thinking about a different kind of "ride"...